Tamales for Curbie

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I'm just going to go to a Mexican restaurant but my 'stay-cation' has ended....but we had lob_____ last night. After 5 days, our home is a complete dizzyaster. Shoes, St Pat decorations, cantalope, garlic, applejuice for the pork loin in the crockpot, cake...."DON'T WORRY honey, it will ALL be cleaned up by the time you get home. AND I'll do the laundry and play the piano ♫. Oh, and transplant some seeds." If ANYone thinks retirement is boring, please come visit, Curbie ♫

Stay-cations turn in to just another work-cation for me...........
Tamales for Curbie!!! yeah! I am still sending you some!!!
Lost my debit card, can't get any gas....oh crap it will go up another chunk while I am looking for the card...... ugh!

Now YOU have a stay-cation! no gas ~ can't come to work :) I did a panic thing when I thought I lost my debit card. There is NO WAY you would have wanted to be near me! Pittsburgh rolled RIGHT out of my mouth. "I KNOW where you are, you-----. I am going to FIND you, you ---------" "YOU KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? I can tell you...." It was in the bottom of my purse. Yelling does help :) I found it ~ Curbie

Problem with that is I am at work! LOL Left the card at home. Found it last night , got gas! $70.00 and it won't last a week. UGH!

The pocket of my jeans. On Friday I filled all the fuel cans for equipment and then filled my truck. I had my hands full loading the cans in my truck so I must have shoved it in my pocket.

Just one little addition to Crabbers explaination to a tamale. I have a Mexican friend in our neighborhood who makes a big batch pretty often and takes orders......has regular customers and has done this since I was a child. She is about 20 years older than I am and used to send her daughters around the neighborhood to let neighbors she was making a batch and asked anyone who wanted some to let her know how many she should make. First the 'dough' or 'paste' made from corn masa (very fine ground corn meal) just the right consistancy to be spread on a corn husk (what we call shucks). The corn husk is discarded when you are ready to eat them!!
The paste is spread on the corn husk........a layer of meat (pork, beef, beef and pork mix, or chicken) ground very fine with a thick gravy, is then spread on the masa paste, the corn husk is used to keep the moist tamale together while it is rolled up and steamed. The corn husk wrapped tamale is then put into a steamer and steamed to just the right temperature (and I have never convinced a real Mexican to give me the instructions or seasonings used in the meat mixture or steaming). Mine are usually delivered in a bundle of half dozen tamales tied together with twine string, and they appear to be dry, but when heated until just warm in a steamer and served with your choice of a thin mexican flavored gravy topped with shredded cheese and diced onions, or fine chopped lettuce tomato and onions the consistance of the tamale is soft and moist............and out of this world delicious!
Another way to eat a tamale is to simply open the corn shuck and eat the tamale by itself.........no gravy, no cheese, just take a bite:eek:)
Special ordered you can have them made mild, medium, or spicy. I can handle the medium but have an idea the spicy ones would challenge Randy's 'hot' salsa:eek:) I've tasted a spicy one and it'll set your world on fire for awhile:eek:)
Living as close to Mexico as I do, a vast majority of the population near me are from Mexico or still have family in Mexico. Occasionally when walking through the meat market in our grocery stores, I will look down and see the dead eyes of a whole hog head staring at me from the meat bins for ingredients of special or 'ethnic' meats, and know that some Mexican families still prefer their tamales made from the meat from 'whole hog head'. I've been told that most tamales made for public sale use other than hoghead meat.
The use of the hog head is to cook and skin the hog head, scrap the contents of the skull and other meaty content, and prepared in a secret recipe to make authentic tamales. I doubt that many people outside the Mexican communities and familys has ever had the pleasure to have enjoyed one of these 'authentic' tamales and am told that the ones made for public sale are made with real meats from pork beef or chicken.
I have run into Julie (my tamale lady) a couple of times in the grocery store and espied a whole hog head in her grocery basket so I'm not sure whether I've experienced the real thing or if she makes those only for family consumption. I only know that she makes great tamales:eek:)

Thank you, Marie. At least I have an idea now of how they are made. I will probably still buy them though.

:) HOLY PIG ! That's neat that you know b/c it sue must be better for the kids than the ice cream truck. When you've been given the gift of cooking or sewing or whatever, I think it is a wonderful talent. Don't lose your buddy :) ~ Curbie

I sure hope not for a few more years Curbie. I ran into Julie and Manuel at the post office a few months ago and for the first time, learned their ages. Manuel is 87 and Julie is 83. They both worked at a Ramada Inn when I was the night manager of the restaurant there. He was the Maintainance supervisor and she was the Housekeeper Manager. They both speak with an unmistakable Mexican accent........scattered through with a few Mex Tex expressions that I understand. A delightful couple and I will buy my tamales from her until she goes home to make tamales for Jesus. I might have to try to find a recipe on the internet and learn to make my own Texas Tamales but I'll never stop eating them.

Crabber, the restaurant I ate at yesterday is the only one I know of that starts making their tamales fresh every morning and 'run out' later in the afternoon and won't make more until morning because they want them to be fresh. They are not frozen tamales that you find in the grocery store, but I'm sure they are not 'authentic' hog head tamales:eek:)

God must love those folks b/c they are living what they were born to create. I think you are a lot like myself ~ I judge no one by their accents but sometimes I can't understand what they are saying ~ so I start again. I don't mind if I look goofy but I'd rather have them not feel badly. Curbie :)

I'm afraid I would have a limited amount of friends if I chose them because of an accent;o) I've worked with every nationality that lives in this part of the country, and some of them have become great friends. One of my sons very best friend is black as the ace of spades and still calls me "Mom" when we meet:eek:) Don't know if you've ever heard of Jake Barefield, and I'm not a sports buff, but he went on to play either professional football or baseball so he was a pretty big deal in our family!! My sister spoke with a yankee accent after she lived in SD for a few years, but we still accepted her in the family too......haha

I think accents show your heritage ~like "I lived in Oregon and I lived in Massachusetts and then I went to Texas and then I was in Wisconsin. This guy came by the other day and I said,"I know your dialect." He said,"no you don't". Me="You're from Nigeria b/c we have friends from Sierra Leone and Ghana." It was really a pleasant conversation b/c he said," I am so homesick so I work for my family there." I asked him when his green card expires. "OH! YOU KNOW GREEN CARD!" Cute as a button! He was such a pleasant delivery person. when he said,"I come back again ~ nice." Fine with me :) Curbie

I read the instructions for making tamales once when I checked a Mexican Gourmet cookbook out of the library and it's quite an art. I have an idea probably have to invite a few of your friends over before the whole production gets started because it works in stages and there are quite a few 'meanwhile's' included. I've always heard them talking about 'so and so' coming over to help. I think it requires an assembly line crew unless you have huge equipment and the tamales seem to turn out better if they are made in small batches and 'steamed' only a few at a time. One person to stir the meat mixture while someone is stirring the masa while another is laying out the corn shucks and another smearing on the masa and meat mixture and another working the steam tub and someone whose hands are not tied bundling the portions and tying the thread. I would not try to do it by myself:eek:)

I buy the canned tamales rarely, but I'll eat the whole can when I do. We manage to go to one of the local Mexican restaurants in Newberg occasionally and if tamales are on the menu, I will usually opt for that.

What are we going to do with you,CG? What equipment? Is this gas for home or work? Curbster

Life in the Zimmerman house is never dull there is always some form of work going on ( Mostly me doing it LOL) Tim won't do yard or garden work but he sure does a great job of watching , mostly from the couch through the doors! LOL Chain saws, weed eaters, tractor, tiller, oh I do have a gas tree trimmer and a hedge trimmer too. Plus presure washer which by the way need some serious attention , meaning I should be using it. And then there is the little boat. No marinas near by so we keep gas for it as well. I just wanted to fill all the cans before it got too expensive to cut the grass!

Crabber, the restaurant I ate at yesterday is the only one I know of that starts making their tamales fresh every morning and 'run out' later in the afternoon and won't make more until morning because they want them to be fresh. They are not frozen tamales that you find in the grocery store, but I'm sure they are not 'authentic' hog head tamales:eek:)

Marie you did a much better job than me on the directions. I have never made them just watched them being made. You are so lucky to have a neighbor who makes them. We have a very large ethnic community of people from Mexico and there are 2 families in town that run restaurants. They make them fresh also and they are to die for. I am sending Curbi a can of store tamales , which those of us who know frreash know they can't compare but at least she will get the idea;)

Crabber, did I tell you about what our former fire chief told me about small motors and gasoline? He uses aviation gas which is more expensive, but it ends the nuisance trips to the repair shop because of leaving that gasoline with ethanol in the tasks. I have saved at least several hundred dollars since I started using aviation gas.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back