Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. P

Help ID this beautiful shrub

Great, and please post back if you get a reply. At some point, I'll take it to a nursery when I get some time, but anything would be better to walk in with.
  2. P

I doubt its native, I live in the desert. This is too colorful. I'm pretty sure they got it from a nursery.
  3. P

Well if you don't know, I doubt anyone does, but I'll still come back here to see if anyone else does. Maybe I should just go to a nursery and see if the folks there can spot it. I'll do that if I have to. I definitely want this along my driveway.
  4. P

Possibly, although if I can ID it, I'll find out when I can plant it. I want it to replace some large junipers along our driveway, so I'm not sure it would be a great candidate to take a branch and root it. That might take a while to grow out. I agree, the color is beautiful. Any idea what it is?
  5. P

I see this around my neighborhood, so I know it can grow. I want to place it along both sides of my driveway, where it would get full sun (but the pics are obviously in full sun as well). What is it?
  6. P

Transplanting a desert shrub

OK I'll get something similar at Lowes/Home Depot. I need to buy a small rake there anyways. OK thanks for all your help. It should be transplanted in this coming week.
  7. P

OK I can buy some, but I'm not sure what to get. I went to the scotts website and their search didn't give me anything, and I didn't see anything in their mulch & topsoil section. Lowes & Homedepot aren't giving me anything marked triple mix. Is something like this...
  8. P

Oh one last thing--is there any particular type of soil you'd recommend that I add to it? Since it is a desert shrub (native), it obviously grows without any, but would you recommend I mix in garden or potting soil, into the hole I dig out?
  9. P

OK, I can handle 12-14 inches. I was hoping you weren't going to tell me that I had to take 4 feet in a radius around the center of the plant, or else it would die. That would have been a lot of digging. :confused:
  10. P

You know, we have wild brush all over the place, I suppose every year or two I'll roam around and take out a new sprout. Now that you've said what you did, I'll be on the lookout. It has sprouted up about 20 feet away from a taller shrub that I will uproot (or just use brush buster on). Do you...
  11. P

I have a shrub growing in SoCal desert region right by the street. These suckers get 15-20 feet high, this growth is just in the past year. I would like to plant it several feet back, away from the street. (1) How much root structure do I need to dig up (and transplant with the tree)? How many...
  12. P

Is this a wildflower or a weed?

I have taken a few more pics. I think this is the best one. Let me know if it isn't.
  13. P

That's a fair enough answer. We'll keep an eye out. Thanks!
  14. P

My daughter planted a lot of wildflower seeds a few weeks ago in our flower bed. Now we have this creature popping up in several spots. There are no blossoms, so I have my suspicions, but it is not stringy like most of the weeds that grow out here (southern California desert). If it is a...
  15. P

Is this something I need to treat (sap from trunk of Idaho Locust)?

Ron, I went out to look at that V. The brown part really isn't wet at all, or even damp. It is fairly dry, and that V didn't have any mushy bits that I could easily scrape away. Now if you are suggesting that I take a blade and cut into the base of that V, and then tell you what is just...
  16. P

Here are a few more pics, of the same spot on the trunk, but from different angles.
  17. P

Thanks. I'll post a pic of the other side tomorrow when I can take a photo, but this is the only part we have noticed it. Now the idea of wind damage is interesting--we absolutely have not had any hurricane type wind damage this past summer--we did have some heavy winds--40 MPH but only for a...
  18. P

I have recently started seeing this stain on the trunk of my idaho locust, right at the top of the trunk. It looks like someone has just poured water over it. The brown part is not sticky at all--nothing comes off when I run my fingers over the brown part. We have not seen this on the tree...
  19. P

Are these sprouts roses?

They are about 15-20 feet away from the tree itself. Wow that is interesting. OK I can wait until next Feb-April to move them, but how big would they get until then? I intentionally didn't replace one of the five rose bushes in that flower bed that had died, because I read that roses should...
  20. P

Are these sprouts roses?

I have a flower bed where I have 4 rose bushes, and what Ron recently helped identify as Nandina. I recently started seeing two sprouts, one larger, the other just a couple of inches tall, less than a foot from one of my roses. The rose is not doing well (it gets less sun than any other), and I...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com