Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. E

Will sawdust turn especially acidic like pine needles do?

Pine needles - when they fall on the ground and rot, they make it VERY acidic, to the point where that property dominates the ecology of pinelands areas (like in New Jersey and a few other places in the East Coast) - craberries and blueberries are native to these areas because they're one of...
  2. E

My Garden 2013

This is a link to the album, but the pictures from this year start at the pictures of the borage flowers, where I mark in the comments that they're Garden 2013 https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.916579155949.2593275.8808080&type=1&l=d2e4374aa3
  3. E

My Garden 2013

OK, that didn't work, apparently only showing the one pic
  4. E

My Garden 2013

Did a huge facebook posting of the current progress, thought I'd share it here https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1543_10102769334817709_1441191520_n.jpg
  5. E

Poppies won't grow past seedling stage

See? Here's a normal poppy plant, it doesn't look like those frilly-leaved weeds at all
  6. E

I figured out what the problem was. They weren't poppies, at least not most of what saw growing. Like I said, I bought seed from a grocery store, seeds that were just harvested and sold as food. One bag I bought was from an Indian food company. Well, I guess that one was contaminated with...
  7. E

storing pre-mixed, diluted spray for instant use?

Hi all. My preferred insecticide of choice is malathion. However, it's annoying to do all the mixing in my big sprayer, then empty it and wash it out thoroughly. I recently bought this little prayer of Sevin. You just keep it around, and spray when you neeed it. It's a little sprayer, like a...
  8. E

Inducing flowering in melon

they have special grafting scissors that can make the cut clean, and they can even do a few different types of cuts (yup, just the one scissor - I THINK you may have to change the blades that it comes with, but you need only the one scissors)
  9. E

pumpkin plants not growing well.

Yeah in-situ is awesome, except for the one big downside that you have to every once in a while crouch down, look carefully and pick out all the little weeds, being careful to visually identify and not pick your little seedling. This can be a bitch if you don't have room to crouch, like I don't
  10. E

I will get che fruit this year!

You've tried them? Can you elaborate on the taste?
  11. E

I will get che fruit this year!

Che berry. Cudrania Tricuspidata. Related to the mulberry. Here's a description: http://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/PLANT-OF-THE-WEEK-Che-Che-or-Chinese-2585289.php Planted one a few years back, I actually got it with some sort of fuzzy white fungal disease, but it managed to...
  12. E

pumpkin plants not growing well.

I would use liquid , soluble (not organic, chemical, where they use direct ammonia, nitrate, superphosphate and potash) fertilizer, which acts fast. I dunno if it was the splitting of the plants and root damage, that sounds a bit odd to me - I'm pretty sure I've done that without problem. Then...
  13. E

Help, does anyone know what this is?

Kinda looks like that comon weed that looks like... that If it is horseradish, I warn you about grating it, the stuff is like tear gas. The harsh fumes fill up a room. I couldn't even go near the food processor after processing, and the whole room was making me tear.
  14. E

They don't like crowding? But they have such tiny seeds! Talk about contradictory. Nature, you're jerk. :-P
  15. E

My banana project

yeah, ice cream banana is damned tasty. Maybe worth trying for me, though at my parents house we don't have a properly-suited room for keeping plants, the room we use is East-facing and not that heated. I wonder if I can convince my dad to put some kind of auxiliary heating/humidification system...
  16. E

a little googling on "inducing flowering in melons" found this: http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cgc/cgc03/cgc3-20.html So apparently silver nitrate and/or this plant hormone AVG can induce flower to some success. I figure it can't hurt the plant that bad (if properly applied) so its worth a try...
  17. E

Hi all, Edwin. Northeast NJ (zone 6?). Raised compost garden bed This year, among the other obscure vegetables I'm trying, I'm trying this kind of melon called the casabanana. Sicana odorifera. It's supposed to need a real long season to flower and ripen fruit, it's a tropical, so being...
  18. E

here is my atempt to post a pic
  19. E

I planted some poppies, maybe around May 15, they germinated, but they still won't get any bigger than the tiny seedling stage. I'm in Northeast New Jersey. This weekends we have a heat wave, and the weather has been... Mostly cool until now. I know the heat wave isn't great for plants so let's...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back