Cheap idea for a fun planter!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

They are called Dog-eared redwood, each one cost $2.29 at my local Lowes, just bought 6 as I got another project for them. Just bought 2300 lbs of compost for $27, gotta love California (sometimes)!

Did you have to haul the compost on your own or was it delivered? Here in Illinois (think California without the nice weather and earthquakes) I know I can get great cheap compost from the facility all the yard waste is hauled to. Speaking with my neighbor it was $10 to $15 for a full pickup bed and another $15 for a common size trailer. I'd love to do that but don't have a truck.

It's like $22 a ton, and my truck bed I think it's 8 ft holds 2300ish lbs of compost when about 90ish% full (it's the green waste from the cities composted). It's actually some good stuff, really nice and dark. Unfortunately it was still cooking, it was in the last phase of cooking. So it had heat to it but didn't burn me when unloading it. So I threw it in my beds that aren't being used to finish off the few weeds in it, and my front bed where I had mints. Hoping it'll take care of the mint seeds for me (I like mints we just don't use them), I'm gonna be planting a shrub that produces berries.

I like mints we just don't use them

The way mint grows no one can use more mint then they have growing. Do you like basil pesto for pasta and the likes? I cut the basil in mine with mint about 3 to 1 basil to mint by weight. Most people can't tell the mint is really there except it cuts some of the sharpness of the basil. This and iced-tea are the only reasons I have mint taking over my yard.

Well we were not harvesting the mint but just really enjoyed the smell it gave to the front of the house. At one point the mint was over growing and so I trimmed it all back into the raised bed and tossed all the cuttings into a big bag and stuck it in the house, what a nice aroma it have the house, who needs air freshener when one has mint plants. But I have a rule, I don't plant things not eaten. So since we didn't really eat the mints I decided to pull them up and increased the raised bed depth so I can plant my sub-tropical Chilean guavas so they get great morning sun but none of the severe sun during mid day. It's sort of an experiment as the local nursery said they don't grow well here. But let me say this - all the stuff they sale is so common that it makes me question their opinion. I think gardening is a sense of adventure and I love having the option of eating things that sometimes just can't be bought. So I am hoping to plant 4 of these bushes - gotta order 3 more (they are fine down to 14 degrees). We haven't gotten below 25 this year it's just the heat is rough on them. So we will see.

Btw typing on my phone so sorry for typos.

Last edited:
I have some mint and use some of it occasionally. I have made enough mint jelly to last awhile though.

I have my mints in containers so no problem with them it is the tarragon and oregano that are invasive in my garden I lost a bunch of flowers last summer then I trimmed the tarragon and found them again. the oregano is taking over a corner of the garden again. I'll trim it back when I get a chance.

I also started a rule that if I plant it in my yard I have to be able to (and willing) to eat it. I also push this a little and tuck things like sweet potato and peppers in with perennial flowers in my front yard. I like the look of red peppers like little candle flames among the daises and purplecone flowers. I have a car-stopping planter out front that has had dwarf sun flowers in it for a few seasons now. My old lawn geek nextdoor neighbor doesn't really like me; he thinks a yard should be grass with a row of geraniums next to the house and a rose bush by the front door.

This is the plant that will be taking the spot of my mints *pic below is of a Chilean Guava*, I need probably 3 more, it's a bush that can get up to a 6x6, but more normally 4x4 (feet). This plant doesn't have an issue with being trimmed, then at the bottom of those bushes I was thinking planting it out with some edible flowers (this is a front yard bed). I'm actually thinking of putting mints in that vertical planter I made (I think that will not be as much as a waste since we do enjoy them).

Chilean_guava_Ugni_molinae_3869.jpg

Edible flowers eh? How about strawberries? Will they grow in your zone? They spread to be a nice ground cover and have white flowers.

There is very few common things that don't grow here. This is the fruit basket of the world (or use to be)!

Last edited:
I've got it built but it's got nothing in it besides compost and my PVC pipe design for root watering. Haven't decided on a proper location and after having it up for about a month now I've decided one foot deep is a minimum and probably at least 1.5 feet deep recommended. Can't decide if I wanna toss mints in it. They got applemint and orangemint at Walmart that is calling my name. I just love mints I may give them a spot and see if I can use them for something other than making the house smell nice. I just bought some cilantro and was gonna put that in the planter. But to be honest everything has been on the back burner while I've been working on my fish tank. But since I got a few grape trees in I have started working on my pergola. I have to finish up the beds soon. Last frost date is getting close and my tomatoes are starting to sprig up in my starts room. Pinto beans are like 5x the size of the tomatoes (planted same time). But my brain is working over time with my aquaponics setup.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back