Cleaning bird droppings

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Luke35

Will soap hurt my outdoor flowers? I've heard both YES and NO in answer to this question, so I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions here and maybe some alternate cleaning ideas.

We decided to put a bird feeder in the tree in our new garden in front. Our cats already spend a lot of time in those windows and our 4 year old daughter had been asking if we could feed the birds. They all enjoy watching the birds congregate (as do I). I knew it would mean extra weeding from the seed spillage and extra bird droppings, but decided I am willing to deal with that and try to keep up with it. We installed a wrought iron fence around the garden and that has become an obvious perching spot for the birds and their droppings. (See photos).

We have a number of annuals planted just inside the fence. I’ve been told to use a mild soap and a soft brush as the safest and most effective way to clean the fence. But my question is whether the soap drainage would cause any harm to the flowers nearby. My plan would be to scrub down the fence and rinse it down by spraying a hose from the inside so that the bulk of the soap would wash out onto the sidewalk and into the street.

Is this something I need to be worried about and should I use something different than soap? The photos depict the fence after just two weeks of bird feeding. Based on that, I expect to be cleaning up the fence about every other week or more frequently if necessary. Is that too often for the flowers to be exposed to potential soap runoff? Are there any other ideas for cleaning that will be safe for both flowers AND fence?

Attachments

• PRE_2011-06-30-081603.jpg
    PRE_2011-06-30-081603.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 534
  • PRE_2011-06-30-081607.jpg
    PRE_2011-06-30-081607.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 537
Sometimes we use soap as a pest killer. In small quanities , depending on the flowers, it should not hurt to use standard dish soap. No laundry soaps or bleaching agents. If they are tender type flowers try to refrain from getting too much if any soap. You can also kind of flush the area with fresh water to make sure not to allow too much to settle around the plants roots. I have washed siding with light soap ( and bleach) with no ill effects but not knowing what plantsd the are you have I would not suggest using bleach. From the picture it looks like petunias whcih are a little tender.

Just water and a brush will work!
Then you wouldn't need to worry about any soap damage to your annuals!
Actually, I'd use a power washer, if you have one! I use mine on the deck and the fences in the front of the house! Good sharp blast and bye-bye bird poop!

In pet stores they sell an organic spray that cleans bird poop off of wrought iron cages. I think it has orange oil in it and it will not hurt your plants,fence or the birds.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back