Composting

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

Does anyone have experience with a compost tumbler? I'm now toying with the idea of getting one.

I have a bin but no space to turn it effectively. I started another small bin but the only spot I have for it is highly visible and the dog can get into it without extensive work.

I have a hard plastic composter - not the tumbling type. I keep it moist and occassionally put dirt into it with earth worms and wigglers - they do an excellent job. I have beautiful earth all the time. Prior to this the soil sat in the composter and slowly broke down over a course of about 3 years.

I had one but gave it away several years ago to someone in the city. I didn't give it away because it didn't work well though. It worked very well, but it was no longer applicable where we now live. My son-in-law does not rake up the grass clippings after mowing and any leftover food scraps are fed to the chickens. Stuff from the stalls are put into a pile out next to the garden area where it composts over time. About once a year I will use the tractor and scoop all that up and spread it out over the garden area or around the fruit trees.

I did vermi-composting and it worked really well but time not big enough for my needs. Then I had a worm population collapse early this spring and it's time to move on.

I do have a 1 cubic yard wooden bin but as I said it is really hard to turn because of space restrictions. It's 3' wide in a 5' wide area between a garage and fence and if I stand up in the wrong spot I will hit my head on the garage eve or a tree branch. Maybe if I put two bins back to back I could turn the bin by transferring from one to the next with the "fronts" opposite each other. To do this I would just have to hack out a third of my raspberries.

The tumbler seems like a good idea but I've read some mixed reviews on them and not sure if I want to drop $100 on a compost bin.

Ahh the joys of trying to have a house, garage, kid play area, and veg garden on a 50' x 100' lot.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back