Gardening in sandy soils!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

That is perfect condtions to what I have. We have a raised building pad that extends from the sides of the house and it is nothing but white sugar sand. I have a lot of ferns ,aspargus grass , giant aloe and a plubego growing . I would likeremove the ferns and aspagus grass, add something and keep the Plumbego & aloe but that's it in that area. I want some low growing no maintenance plants that will survive winter. Sounds like I have some work to do looking at your list to make a decision. I have one area that is hot blistering full sun from daylight til dark. Full sand and no water unless it rains. Most xerascape plants they sell here are too large for the spot. I need something low growing. I want to be able to see the snakes against the house. They like to lay against the cool block foundation. And it is mostly moccasians. :eek:

Here's a few of my sand lovers!
They are nicely coming along and are at their best once they reach maturity!

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 319
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 320
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 306
Here's a few more of my favorites:

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 306
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 314
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 296
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 303
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 304
Oh Ron those are awesome! See now that's what I am talking about. I know if they survive your winters they will survive mine. I have 5 days off coming this week and next so it will be a good time to work that area. thanks for the ideas

You're welcome Nancie!
I will post more photos to keep you motivated! :D
You could have a very colorful ground cover with a mix of different cultivars of Sempervivums and Jovibarbas along with some of the less invasive sedums! Throw in a few cacti for a different texture and for some height!
There are a few that only you can grow in your zone, but do not restrict yourself and pick ones that are hardy up to zones 5 and 6!
Even then, you may have to experiment because some of the ones I have may not be able to tolerate your summer heat and humidity!
With the sedums it is always best to deadhead them so they wont go to seed and take over!

Hopefully my Jovibarbas will bloom this year, so I'll post what they look like!
I'm not particularly fond of the sempervivum blooms unless they are the bright pink bloomers, the rest tend to be a drab faded beige pink!

Keep me motivated please! I keep putting this chore off because I am afraid I will botch it up. I have the giant aloe that will work well for the tall plants. In the top batch of photos I really like #2 and #5 then and 3 & 4 ..... I know I like them all LOL! The colors are great!

I started a whole new batch of seeds from parkseed and they are finally at the dime size! It should be interesting to see what they will turn out to be when they reach maturity.
Since sempervivum and jovibarba hybridize easily I could have some very different forms with varying colorations then the ones I have!

Oh yes! If you are going to buy plants, look for ones that are full of offsets! You can then pull them off the parent plant and plant them separately! It is the best way to go unless you are planning to grow them from seed!

Thanks for the tip Ron. I would never have thought of that. I am planning a drag through a couple plant shops this next week. Hope I find what I am looking for ;)

If I post a picture for you can you id something for me? My son gave it to me and I am not sure if I need to leave it potted or I can plant it. He grabbed it from a job and has no idea what it is either.

Thanks, might be a week before I can. You are so good at that. I just can't seem to find a seach engine that understands what I am saying. LOL!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back