Gardening in sandy soils!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what type of plants and flowers grow best in sandy soil. We live in Wisconsin and I'd like to add plants and flowers around the house mainly with a south and west exposure (with little if any shade).
Any ideas?
Thanks.

I don't know about Wisconsin and it's planting conditions but I do have sandy soil. I grow lilies, iris, gardenias, daylillies, camilias, glads, hibiscus, roses, hydrangia, cannas, and loads of annuals. It shouldn't be hard to find flowers that will love the sand and sun. Welcome to the forums Flowers4.

Welcome to our forum!
I have sandy dry conditions on my property and I'm presently collecting perennials for dry sandy soil! I grow all of them from seed because they are not usually available as plants at local garden centres!.
Let me know your exact zone and I will give you a list of species to look out for!

Hi ther and welcome!!!!!
What zone are you in?
I think hardy succulents would work great for you.
Of all the things I don't have here it's sand.

Welcome Flowers,
Here in Florida we have highly sandy soil. Depending on the zone you are in there are many flowers you can plant. If you a happy with annuals try blanket flowers and dwarf sunflowers. They have short season to flower and produce a lot of color. They of course will not survive your winters so make sure to harvet seeds for the next year.
As Kya says hardy succulents would be great . Ron could surely give you some good suggestions in that area as he grows many.

Zone 4 with sandy dry soil:
~‘Goldsturm' coneflower (black-eyed Susan) (Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii)
~'Matrona' sedum (Sedum ‘Matrona') and numerous other species.
~‘Veitch's Blue' small globe thistle (Echinops ritro ‘Veitch's Blue')
~‘Terracotta' yarrow (Achillea ‘Terracotta')
~'Burgunder' blanket flower (Gaillarda ‘Burgunder' (a.k.a. Burgundy))
~Thread-leaf tickseed (Coreopsis verticillata) ‘Moonbeam'
~Asclepias asperula, A. purpurascens, A.speciosa, A. tuberosa
~Nepeta ‘Walker’s Low’, N. ‘Blue Wonder’
~Penstemon (Bearded Tongue), P. ‘Sweet Grapes’
~Russian Sage: (Perovskia)
~Scabiosa: (Pincushion Flower)
~Daylilies: (Hemerocallis)
This is a short list, there are hundreds more!
Best to go look at local garden centres and have a look what they carry.
Another idea is to look online at all the various wedsites

Most of the ones I listed do not require fertilizing and all require dry conditions especially during the winter months!
Using nitrogen fertilizer actually forces green growth that is weak and floppy, it really shortens their life span too!
They are low maintenance!
All one needs to do is clean them up at the end of winter/early spring!
There are some cacti that do well in zone 4!

Last edited:
I dunno much about flowers but welcome to the forum! :) There's lots of people here that do know!

Sandy soil conditions - Thanks!

Thanks to Ron and all for the info. I will do a little more homework so I'm ready this spring! I thought it was going to be upon us soon as we had 50 degree days last week however, we're supposed to get between 11 - 18 inches of snow today/tonight! YIKES

Your welcome Emptynest!
There are a few good websites that deal with Wisconsin gardening.
For sandy soil look for drought tolerant species. Most require well draining soil!
Just type in Gardening In Wisconsin on Google and you will be all set!

Here's a thread for those sandy soils that a lot of gardeners have to contend with, and find ways to create drought tolerant, xeric, gardens!

All the perennials I listed are hardy in zones 5-6!
All are from seed I have been collecting (from various sources) since I moved here on the lake!
Most are next to impossible to find at any of the local garden centres, or nurseries!
Some are difficult to grow from seed, and this maybe the main reason why garden centres and nurseries do not carry them!
I'm always looking for the odd and the unusual, and buying seed is the only way to get perennials that are not the usual boring species that most gardeners are stuck growing!
Main seed companies I use are:
www.gardensnorth.com <--she is a professional seed collector and has a lot of native species as well as seed from around the world!
www.hardyplants.com <---the owner has a huge inventory that is like going through a candy store for me!
..and a few from
www.parkseeds.com

The first two are private seed companies that sell seeds from various professional seed collectors!
Their inventory changes yearly, so I never know what seeds will be available! So each year is different with new seeds offered and lots of researching on my part to find the ones I can grow!

Last edited:
Here's my long list of perennials that require dry (xeric) conditions

~Campanula carpatica~ blue, 8"s x 12"s May-September
~Delosperma 'Mixed Species and Hybrids' ~ mix of species and hybrids, 2"s-3"s high form a spreading mat, various colors
~Dianthus deltoides 'Flashing Light'~ red, 6"s-8"s x 12"s, blooms May-September!

~Limonium gmelinii spp. hungaricum~ (Sea Lavendar) 18-24"s high and wide, mid-summer
~Linaria Auruginea 'Neon Lights' mixed bicolors, 8"s high space 12"s, blooms May-August
~Lychnis viscaria splendens 'ViscaFire'~ fire engine red, 20"s high, forms grassy tufts, May-June
~Penstemon auriberbis~ violet/lavendar, 13"s high x 12"s wide, May/June
~Penstemon barrettiae~ rose-lilac, 9-15"s high x18"s wide, May/June
~Penstemon virens~ (Blue Mist), violet/lavendar, 6-12"s high x 12"s wide, June-July
~Penstemon virgatus (deaveri) 'Blue Buckle', violet blue 10-12"s high x 12-18"s wide, July-September
~Ratibida columnifera subsp. pulcherrima 'Red Midget'~ burgandy and yellow, compact, 18"s x 18"s wide, July-October
~Sedum pilosum~ monocarpic, forms a rosette first year and blooms the second, 3"s high with deep pink flower clusters

~Cotoneaster affinis~ 4 to 6m tall large shrub/small tree, white blooms followed by purple black fruit
~Cotoneaster insignis~ 4 to 5m tall large shrub/small tree
~Eryngium bourgatii 'Mediterranean Sea Holly' ~ 12" to 18" tall white veined learthery leaves, large silvery-blue flower heads
~Glaucium flavum aurantiacum 'Western Europe Yellow Hornpoppy' ~ 20" high, rosette deeply-cut, blue/grey,
large burnt orange poppy-like blooms followed by long seed 'horns'
~Gypsophila repens 'Creeping Baby's Breath'~ 8" tall and wide gray/green foliage masses of white flowers in early summer, cut back for rebloom in fall
~Heliopsis helianthoides (variegata) ~150cm tall, dark green veining on a white leaf. The same yellow flowers and very long bloom period as the species
~Jasione perennis (laevis) ~ 12" tall when in bloom, succession of dense 2" balls of misty blue flowers from June to August
~Hudsonia ericoides ~ 'Pine Barren Goldenheather' ~ 8" to 12" mat-forming shrub, scale-like foliage, small bright yellow flowers in summer.
~Limonium latifolium 12" to 24" ~ low mound of leathery green foliage, blooms lavendar-blue
~Lychnis viscaria ~ 'German Catchfly' ~ 18" grass-like tufts and long stems bearing clusters of purplish-pink flowers. Long blooming in early summer.
~Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Red Form'~ 12" ~ red/maroon flowers,
~Salvia jurisicii ~ 12" to 18"~ tall fine feathery foliage, spikes of hairy, upside-down blue flowers in late spring.
~Sophora davidii ~ 2.5m tall shrub with spiny stems, and pea-like foliage, racemes of purple-blue and white flowers in early summer.
~Stachys macrantha ~ 12" to 24" tall, wrinkled leaves in a mound, erect, densely packed spikes of purple-rose flowers
~Stipa pennata ~ forming 18" clumps of very fine-textured green foliage, above which form clouds of silvery flowers that move in the slightest breeze
~Strobilanthes atropurpureus ~ rare member of the acanthus family native to woodland margins in the Himalayas and Siberia.
Mid-summer until frost the plant is smothered with dense spikes of purple-blue tubular flowers, resembling Salvia.
Best in bright shade or morning sun with afternoon shade
~Taraxum pseudoroseum ~ 6" to 8", a dandelion which is a perennial species native to Asia, growing in alpine meadows.
Pink flowers with a yellow center bloom over a long period in spring
~TRADESCANTIA ohioensis ~ 'Ohio Spiderwort'~ 12" to 48" a hot, dry spot, and don't grow it anywhere else or you will never really see it at it's best! Beautiful, clear-blue flowers over distinctive grey-green foliage, which colours purple in cooler weather

~Allium - spirale
~Chaenorrhinum - glareosum
~DELOSPERMA - aff. congestum
~ESCOBARIA - vivipara
~OROSTACHYS - spinosa
~Potentilla - atrosanguinea var. argyrophylla
~Sedum - mix
~JOVIBARBA - Small Rosette mix

~Alcea - apterocarpa
~ANTENNARIA - alpina
~Bouteloua - gracilis
~CAMPANULA - alliariifolia
~CAMPANULA - rotundifolia
~ILLIAMNA - remota
~Lavandula - angustifolia nana
~PAPAVER - alpinum (White)
~Penstemon - barbatus (Pink)
~Saxifraga - corymbosa
~Saxifraga - callosa
~SCHIZACHYRIUM - scoparium
~SPOROBOLUS - heterolepsis
~Thlapsi - stylosum

~Achillea glaberrima 'Gold Spray' -12" to 18" golden yellow
~Euphorbia dulcis 'Chameleon' -12" to 24" bronze/burgandy foliage, purple/green bracts
~Euphorbia polychroma - Cushon Spurge -12" to 18" Spring bloomer- Fall color
~Heuchera 'Newest Mixed Hybrids' - mixed foliage colors for part sun, blooms white, pink, rose
~Hordeum jubatum - Squirrel Tail, Foxtail Barley 12" to 30" tall
~Kniphofia hirsuta 'Fire Dance' -20" tall , coral red changing to yellow blooms
~Linum perenne nanum 'Sapphire'- 16" tall, azure blue, blooms late spring to late summer
~Oenothera macrocarpa spp incana 'Silver Blade' -5" tall with a 18" spread, clear yellow blooms with silver white foliage
~Penstemon angustifolius -Pegoda P. Narrow Leaf P. -6" to 15" - Blue
~Penstemon eatonii -Firecraacker P. 18" to 24" tall, Blooms are tube shaped and scarlet
~Penstemon grandiflorus 'Esprit' -24" to 30" in white, pink, rose blue, purple
~Penstemon palmeri -24" to 48" -soft pink
~Petalostemum purpureum -2.5' to 3.5' tall purple cover-like blooms

~Sphaeralcea grossulariifolia -12" to18" mallow family, coral/apricot/red/orange
~Sphaeralcea munroana - Globe mallow 36" with a 24" spread, blooms orange
~Talinum rugospermum - 6" small clump former with pink blooms last one day

~Buddleia davidii (Butterfly Bush)~ 'Miss Butterfly' ~ width: 5 ft
height: 7 ft, light purple blooms, early summer to mid fall
~Coreopsis grandiflora 'Presto'~ 2 1/2" double golden yellow, 10"s high x 8-10"s wide, June to August
~Cosmos bipinnatus~ 'Sonata Pink Blush', compact, width: 15 in
height: 24 in, blooms 3" across, early summer to late summer

~Chasmanthium latifolium 'Northern Sea Oats'~width: 18 in - 2 ft 6 in
height: 24 in - 4 ft, blooms (6 in - 10 in) brown , green , red, ~ late spring to late fall
~Echinacea (Coneflower)~ 'Paradoxa Yellow', width: 24 in height: 2 ft 8 in,
blooms mid summer to early fall, reflexed petals
~Gaillardia grandiflora (Blanket Flower)~ 'Arizona Red Shades' width: 10 in - 14 in
height: 12 in, late spring to late fall
~Hypericum buckleii (St. Johnswort) 'Appalachian Sun",width: 18 in height: 12 in,
foliage is tiny, very dense, and a rich shade of blue-green,
~Juncus pallidus 'Javelin' width 18", height 4-6': upright growing forming a tight clump
~Lavandula angustifolia 'Rosea (Pink Lavander)~ Pale pink, 24"s high x 18"s wide, June to August
~Penstemon grandiflorus 'Esprit Mix' (x2 pkts)~ 24"s high x 12"s wide, 2" wide flowers in a mix of pink, red, and purple-toned blooms with white eyes, July to September.

Last edited:
Ron,
That is a great list. I will have to study as I have some areas I have been ignoring because I just didn't know what I wanted to do. You have given me food for thought!

Nancy
That's not the complete list of what I'm growing!
A fair majority form taproots, or swollen root systems that store rainwater. The only real requirement is that they have to remain relatively dry during the winter months so that means well draining soils!
They all hate wet roots and will rot if they are not happy!
Most are perfect for rock gardens and raised beds!
Some are happy in more moist soils, but tend to flop over, and are short lived.
Most also resent too much nitrogen in the soil, and will grow tall and spindly, and again, will be short lived.
The only time I use fertilizer is while they are in their pots to help them develop a strong root system before planting them out. Once in the garden, I do not use any fertilizer. I don't water them either, and only water when I plant them to settle them in! So, they are basically on their own once they are in the ground!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back