Hi from central Michigan! :)

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Buggzter

Hi everyone! :)

My family just bought a house - a foreclosure! EEK!!!!! So much potential, SO MUCH WORK TO DO!!!

The backyard was a nightmare about chestdeep with thistles and various weeks, front not much better... just over a month later we have greening grass over most of the lawn (no seeding, the lawn just came back!) and much fewer weeds other than a huge number of thistles to still battle. :)

Spectracide is the ONLY spray that is working quickly on the thistles, killing them overnight for the msot part if I get them when they are small. We're close to winning the war, as I think all the big battles in our yard are done. Just a few skirmishes on the thistles, and a few battles in the neighbors' yards (on each side they have a fair number that came over from our yard!)...

So far, I've planted an althia (double pink) that is TINY at the corner of the garage. :) Can hardly wait for it to get big in a few more years! I've also planted a pleathora of lilies near my front door by a big pine-type bush. The other area in front of the bush will have more lilles, and I know I want a ton of roses along both sides of the yard.

I know I want hydrangias in part of the backyard, but I have to decide what all I want where! Hydrangias, other lilies, irises, clementis, maybe some lilacs... :D I have a good size suburban yard to play with, but we have to have a decent amount of play space still for the kids. ;) We'll see!

Only big question right now is what would work well with roses along the sides of the house? :)

Welcome to our forum Buggz!
We love garden make~overs!
Please post photos so we will have a better idea of where you are asking for help!

I'll post photos soon. :) Just have to get some taken first. ;)

OH! Forgot to mention how it all started. There were cypress trees dying all over the front half of the house. Some were RIGHT against the house, as were a few other 2 story high trees! I'm talking about 1 foot from the house was a nice 6" wide trunk of a tree right there! Idiots planned this landscaping, apparently. So we removed I think7 or 8 half dead cypress, 3 other trees that were too close to the house, and a bunch of overgrown bushes...

Now we have to decide what else is leaving and what to put in it's place. :)

I'll be asking in the right areas later. This is gonna be a blast, trying to get this all done! Very excited, and it really looks SO much better now than it did when we first saw this place in late May/early June. :D

To bad you didn't take 'before photos'!
Looking forward to seeing your property!
Love answering questions, as we all do, so fire away!!

hello from the catskills......sounds like alot of work, but it will be great when its all done....

Hi Buggzter, it sounds like you have an exciting project in mind. Remember everything you plant will grow. I've been known to plant to close together and have to move them later.

HI! :) Lyn, I KNOW I will plant too close together. But... well, I'm OK with moving/paring down later. I planted a TON of lilies past their bloom in the front a few weeks back, and only one pot didn't make it (all were clearance at Lowe's, that pot starting to fade a bit already). I'll see what I like of the colors/sizes next year and move what I don't want there and change around what I want. :D

OH! I do have before and afters to an extent. ;) Let me figure out how to add, and I'll post. I have some current too!

My daughter and I are searching on both David Austin Roses and Regan Nursery for the roses we want. Any recommendations for where to get bare root roses or other plants? :) Be back later tonight with the pictures.

Hey Buggz!
Thanks for sharing the before photos!
You certainly had your work cut out inside as well as out side!!
The landscaping doesn't look too shabby and would be fun to work around!

I can see it will be work to make it your "home" but you will enjoy doing it. good luck there.

Hi Buggz,
Welcome. You have come tot he right place. Congrats on the house. I know it looks like a lot of work and it is, but the savings and your hard work are the reward ;)

I would say you do have your work cut out for you. By next year this will just a memory. Keep posting your improvements for us to see.

Wow! :eek: I totally missed this intro!
Welcome to the forum! :D These people have tons of awesome ideas... and gardens. They helped me save my roses and giving me tons of ideas about what can grow here. You'll def find tons of info. :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back