How high up the tree to stake?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

I just put in an idaho locust a month or so ago. It is about 12 feet tall now, and the top 3-4 feet are starting to bend away from the direction of teh wind, so I'm going to stake it tomorrow.

My question is, how high do I place the twine, along the trunk of the tree?

I would put it as high as I could since the bending is already at about 8 feet high. Run the twine or wire through a piece of old hose so the support material doesn't cut into or chafe the bark

I say ditto to Randys hose idea. Also give the ties a little play room so that it dosen't get too beat if you have winds.

OK, I placed it pretty high (I have two stakes---and where the twine touches the tree, I have some old hose). Now there is an afternoon wind, and it is bending a little bit, but not far over like it used to.

Thanks.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back