Lets see some bugs.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kildale

There are a great number if interesting bugs, some good for the garden and some not so good. Here is a good one, better than ladybugs for aphids. A green lacewing, pretty small but does the trick. Show us some of yours.

Attachments

• 10MonthInsect.jpg
    10MonthInsect.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 339
If you look at the statistics though you will see that 22 people looked to see what you posted. You are north of me quite a bit but I think we will have similar bugs. Interest in bugs will increase as we get out in the spring and summer and the little varmints give us more trouble.

Thankl you for the message. I guess garden forums do slow down a bit in the winter.

Attachments

• Green lacewing.jpg
    Green lacewing.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 308
I will add that I am intereseted in bugs. Well kinda.
Don't have any pictures so I can't really help you, but always good to know what the good and bad look like.

Today we have a beautiful flower fly, Helophilus fasciatus

Attachments

• Helophilus fasciatus.jpg
    Helophilus fasciatus.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 331
Can't say that I have been around long, but I usually judge a forum at first glance by the number of members. The more their are the more info to be had.
Seems like this is a good one so far, just off season, so I think your right just slow right now. Atleast I am hoping so. I bet it picks up quite a bit in another month or two.
When it warms up some I will try to add some pictures for you too. Can't say that I know what to much of anything is though.

I have attempted to do this several times. It makes for a good research data base for members looking to identify insects. Especially if you have information tagged to the picture. I have even started guessing games with pictures of plants and bugs. Spring is around the corner so interest will pick up. Don't give up. Keep up the good work.

Here's one of my favorite!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 332
Todays insect, Scaeva pyrastri, won't post spiders as many don't like them, and also they are not insects.

Attachments

• 20Scaeva pyrastri.jpg
    20Scaeva pyrastri.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 334
Todays insect is the Potter Wasp. Named after the shape of the pots.

Attachments

• 26 potter wasp.jpg
    26 potter wasp.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 334
It's a Walking Stick and comes in blotchy grey and green to tan, some are all green and others all tan, or all grey like the one in the photo is all grey!
They are herbivores and tend to feed mostly on the Hazelnut bushes I have on the property, though they will eat Choke Cherry foliage and occasionally Ash.
I always find them when I'm not looking for them when I'm doing some late summer pruning.

Seems the last one the Potter Wasp is called so because it makes a nest that is shaped like a pot. They are also called Mason Wasp I am gathering much like a Mason Bee, or Leaf Cutter Bee. It would seem they paralyze caterpillars and use them as food for the young. The adults themselves feed on nectar.
So another good one.

We have lots of walking sticks here too, I am always amazed when that stick walks. eerie

I know we have mason bees here and I have a nest put up for them, but to my knowledge I have never seen one. The nest looks like it is used though.

Todays insect shows a beetle preparing to take off with the wing covers open.

Attachments

• 30CteniceraSuckleyi.jpg
    30CteniceraSuckleyi.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 345

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back