My 2 day custom bird cage

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Markymark

So was tired at looking at $60+ for a cage of this size, so I thought with all the scraps I've got laying around let's see what I can do. Cost of the cage $30 - staples, 1/4" hardware cloth, 1 3/4" dowel rod, and 1 lb of drywall screws. Designed it so I have a removable roof, ample sized cage door at 12"x12" size. Gave it a bit of aesthetics, and it weighs under 15 lbs and it's roughly 2'x2' in size (not including the roof). The top cover is held on by 3 screws which will be replaced by some hinges and a latch later, but for now I just put in 3 screws to make sure all the glue dries true to the shape of it's location.

15qw67p.jpg

34yo8yr.jpg

2ahy837.jpg

1f8cv6.jpg

2z8nm9e.jpg

beykpy.jpg

hwa15s.jpg

2ic9tv6.jpg

34gr8eg.jpg

23k3p05.jpg

Wouldn't be right without having the building codes inspected.
125kgzs.jpg

That's what I was wondering. Looks like a cat bird from the pictures. LOL! Just kidding. I have a cat the same color, a seal point mix.

Na, just simple 45's, the framing for the roof is a 30 degree slope and reinforced like you wouldn't believe. I wanted to make sure if it was hung it could withstan the weight of the cage. It's for a cockatiel, and maybe a few other birds, and he is enjoying is right now out in the sun. The roof part is for 1 major reason, I was gonna toss some shade cloth on that part so if the sun gets on him too much he can retreat under the shade cloth (plus I was feeling designy or something like that, so I had to add some style to it). Yeah, that wood I presume would get chewed so I didn't use any treated stuff so he can eat it.

1zf5ukp.jpg

Last edited:
so you moved the bird outside. does he like it there? nice looking bird and great looking cage. you make amazing things guy.

The cage isn't big enough that it can't come back inside. He doesn't live outside, but when I'm building stuff or it's just a really nice sunny day he's usually outside.

He does have a big personality, he squawks when people arrive (sets off the dogs), and he loves the Andy Griffin song. He loves to bite, but he still is okay with being handled. May get a few more for the cage since he looks LOST in it.

Also I converted the top of the cage to open with hinges + a lock to keep it shut. Really nice to have access so I can alter things inside the cage and to add food water etc.

Last edited:
There was a pair of cockatiels at a fish camp I used to go to and they sang Lynard Skynard! it was way cool

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back