My breakfast tray for birds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kildale, I am very jealous of all the birds you have. Of course I can see why they come to your house for breakfast.

I had cardinals, two species of doves, bluejays, indigo buntings, finches, woodpeckers and a few others coming to my house on a regular basis until I saw rats at the feeders. After that, one got in my house. Of course my dogs got rid of him quickly but now I am afraid to feed the birds because of attracting the rats. How do you keep the rats away? I love watching the birds and want to get my feeders set up again.

One day while gardening I put some peanuts out. Within minutes a bluejay flew down and got one.....then another. I started watching the two jays and saw them burying the peanuts. I never knew that they buried their food. It was really fun watching them. They would dig the hole with their foot and beak, pick up the nut and drop it in, then push dirt over it with their beak. Every now and then I get a special treat from nature.

My Dad had some almond trees on his place in California and the jays would take the nuts and bury them. One of their favorite places was on the poles supporting the telephone and power lines. When the linemen would climb a pole using their climbing hooks, a gouge is left on the pole. It's just the right size to stuff a nut into.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back