My very own catalogue

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

lazy gardener

As I have been buying a lot of new plants, I was thinking setting up a kind of catalogue, database, call it my own gardening book if you like.
Now I don't have a clue where to start. I found a database on the internet but I'm not sure how to work from there.
I tend to throw away the cards that come with plants as I find it ugly in my garden. So after winter I find myself with plants that starting to grow again and I don't know what they are :eek:
So any tips welcome, thanks

I have drawn a diagram of the garden and labeled the rows on the diagram. They fit into a file folder and I can refer to them anytime and keep the vegetable rotating that way.

I do the same thing Randy. I find it very helpful as I add new and unsual things to the yard.

How about a spiral note book? Cut open the seed package and tape it to the notebook page. Then you can draw any pictures and diagrams you want and make notes. You can also bring it into the garden with you.

A notebook like that is too difficult and constraining for me. I have a spreadsheet with my veg garden mapped out, searchable notes with topic keyword made on another tab, harvest tally on a third tab, planting schedule and calender in a different tab.

I then also keep all my seeds and seed packs in a large zip seal bag in the fridge.

Mr Yan, could you probably post a screen shot, I would love to see how it looks.

Many years ago I had drawings of my garden in a notebook, I even copied the drawings and added hours and when and where the sun was.

Where I live now, I have like 3 different gardens around my house, so it would be an enormous job to draw it all, considering I have so many corners and different spaces.

Then just do one space at a time, you'll get finished eventually. I would be careful not to sprinkle perennials in with annuals too much. It makes it hard to turn over an area in spring and get it ready for bedding plants or veggies either one. I'd keep my long-lived plants together, JMHO.

I can capitalize on Mr Yan's idea. I love those clear page protectors for note books. You could use those to keep the packages from getting tattered as you turn the pages. ;)

I try to keep the tags with the plant over the years I have found it best if I "bury" the tag next to the plant the tag lasts for a few years underground and by the time the tag goes away I know what the plant is.... I only cover them with a little layer of soil so they are easy to find if I need to check
OR you can find cute garden tags that will look nice in your garden

By coincidence, I found an A4 copybook with large squares, so perfect to draw my gardens.
I can put the sheets in a binder and add transparent sleeves
I will update as soon as I get started.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back