Please pray for Randy

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I heard you had your hard hat on today while you was sitting under the apple tree. I should have asked for pics......

I was sitting under the apple tree yesterday afternoon reading my book and an apple dropped on my head. It doesn't hurt much today though. I think I'll wear my hard hat when I read out there.

See , it got your mind off the other pain ;) like the old joke goes with the "Stooges"...."Ahhh so your tooth hurts does it? Look up there" then Moe stomps on his foot.

Yeah, something like that, Crabber. I did wear my hard hat yesterday while reading under the apple tree. There were apples that fell, but none of them close to me. Speaking of pain though, I made it through the day yesterday without resorting to a pain pill. I'm sure I can set them aside now. I still have another week of restrictive duty. After that I will start to get back into my routine. I will ask for grandson help on my next fence project. I could do it without him, but he should make it easier to complete the job in much less time.

I'm in a silly mood today ~ Who IS Randy? I'm just goofing off. Just be sure to take it easy on that 'routine' and cooking routine. Whine, take a nap, complain, smile, & cook! :) Curbie

I haven't been cooking any and today would normally be my day, but my wife told me not to. I know I'm not supposed to do heavy work, but I need to do something and I'm getting tired of sitting around. I did a little shooting yesterday, but that's hardly considered exercise.

I guess it depends on the caliber of the gun you are shooting.There's a big difference between a handgun and a rifle. (I watched the movie 'The Rifleman' the other day. Chuck Connors. I KNOW! :) ) Has anybody ever gone skeet shooting? That looks really stupid.I don't want all the clay pucks landing somewhere. Well, I don't always know everything :) Curbie

I have never been skeet shooting, but I have done trap shooting and they do have some similarities. Yesterday, I was shooting a .22 pistol at a paper plate. I stick a 1" diameter sticker on the bottom of the paper plate and I occasionally hit it.

As far as my health goes, there is still some soreness in the abdomen and the bruising is disappearing. I am still on restriction regarding heavy work though until next week. I also go in to see the surgeon on Thursday. I haven't had a pain pill now for three days and it's not likely I will need another.

Randy
I do my inside winter task when I can't get out to work. Rearranging closets and going through drawers, light stuff like that. Usually it's my office since I always leave it to last. No one goes in there but me and I can close the door. It makes a great light duty chore.

Skeet
I haven't but I had a neighbor, who I could not see from my house as he was about 1000 feet away, that would shoot in my direction. The first time he did it I was scared. The next several shots , the residue from his hits fell on me in the garden. this is not a residential sport. He never did it again ;)

Do you think we are creatures of habit? I repeat the SAME daggone stupid stuff OVER and over. Drives MTM off the charts.My response always is,"Why don't you go to the boat?" Basically it translates into "Why don't you get out of my way?" but then you smile and give him a bowl of ice cream. I am ON to these guys who ONLY care about their stomachs! ;) I would bet you that more men are overwieght than woman (especially in Washington, D.C.) :) Curbs

Trap and skeet shooting are both highly competitive sports, but I never got into them. I have shot at clay birds and I have a clay pigeon thrower, but that's not the same as the official sport.

My wife and I went over the mountain this morning to have breakfast with our friends. I did fine, but my belly is a bit more sore than when I just sit around and do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I think if the womenfolk here had their way, I would only get out of the recliner to go to bed, eat or use the bathroom. I would go looney that way. I went to church today. Although I put on my dress trousers and started to cinch up the belt and stopped that nonsense. I put the trousers away and donned my overalls. That way I had no pressure on the gut. I am only slightly sore this evening.

I will say that YOU are the only person who knows what you need. If you want to lay in the recliner one day, then the next day you take a walk in the orchard. (Don't get hit in the head with another apple.) You know your pace. Cooking isn't that difficult but getting to the store may be. I would think putting on a seat belt would be uncomfortable. But, I'm not in your body. Soothing baths may be nice, with Epsom salts. We just want youo to take care.Only YOU know what you are capable of on any day. :) Curbie

I haven't sat under the apple tree for a few days now. The kids picked up all the apples that have fallen and there were about three bushels of them. There are still plenty of them left in the tree. I will get a little bit of exercise today as three boys will be coming by this afternoon for some coaching on shooting. The two little boys missed the last few sessions I taught and I want to see them complete that project. Their older brother is a high school student and will drive them over. The two little boys will be shooting BB guns. That will be fun for all of us.

It has been awhile since I used any of them. The weather last year was such that I didn't get my pesticide sprayings done. It requires three applications 10 days to two weeks apart. It also has to be calm and dry. 'Dry' is something that does not always happen here in the spring. It was so wet last year it was impossible to spray at the right time. You have to wait until the petals fall from the blooms or you will kill the bees that are pollinating the flowers. That dictates when the first application is applied. Then the time interval dictates the other two. I got the first two applications made this spring, so I may have worm-free apples and pears this year. If so, I will can pears and make applesauce along with some apple pie filling. Most of the apples will fall and rot though as I cannot possibly utilize all of them. We have four apple trees that are heavy producers. We allow others to come and pick apples, but we don't get may takers.

Randy,

Very cool you are teaching the youngsters to shoot. Gun etiquette is so vital for anyone of any age. that sounds like a very rewarding hobby.
Now apples, hmmm if I had the chance I would pick them. I pick pears here and never turn done the chance. I imagine that many people in your neck of the country have apples trees and that is why they don't take you up on the offer. that and they may not have the time or knowledge to make good use of them. :(

My Mom used to make applesauce from scratch. She had a colander especially made for making apple sauce b/c it was shaped like a triangle. She put the apples in and squeezed them up but the skins stayed in the colandar. It was awesome. Cinnamon. Sugar. Mom made the best apple sauce. Curbie

We used to live in a town where there was a jelly factory 2 blocks from the bakery where my hubby worked. On Wed. when they made applebutter and the bakery was baking bread the smells were so wonderful. I drove down there every Wed. I could. I haven't smelled that in years. I guess that was a smell of my youth. The baby born during that time is 36 now.lol just yesterday.

Well happy late birthday to the son or daughter. I am desperately trying to adopt 'Mom' cat and 5 kittens. I am not having ANY luck. I keep calling the animal shelter and they have never picked up the phone. It's so frustrating.Oh roar.... Curbie

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back