Question about arbor for grape vine

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Markymark

I've got a question for building an arbor (not the structure itself). So I have a grape tree that's probably working on it's 3rd year, and to be honest I have a really poor structure (improper staking etc) around it. I was thinking about installing a nice arbor and planting a 3 additional grape trees around the 4 posts. So my question is regarding the grape tree I have, would it damage the tree significantly if I installed a 4x4 (post) next to it so I can train it up the post? It produce for us last year (small grapes - I didn't prune). I'm wanting to significantly decrease the amount of store bought food, and I'm wanting to see how much fruit tree's I can get in a confined area (dwarf varieties). I should have planned it out better when I put the grape tree in.

So any information would be great, I really don't want to transplant it as I've read they don't transplant well once they are established, but at the same time I gotta do something with it sooner or later as it's needed something to grow up.

Thank you for any assistance.

Digging close to an established grape vine might damage some of the roots but wouldn't kill it. Cuttings are easy to take and usually a good percentage of them will root. That way you can have 3 more grape vines of the same variety to plant at each of the corners. Just something to consider.

I'm already looking into 3 additional varieties of seedless. I would like to get a white, blue, and green variety.

1z1s7j6.jpg

Hi Mark,
Welcome to Gardenforums.com. We are glad you found us.
From the photo it looks at thought you can stay about 12 inches from the vine and set you post. You will need to use ties that do not "bind" the vines but will aid in keeping them near the post. You will be surprise at how quick and efficiently they use the post and arbor.
Post some pictures of your finished project so we can see.
Also what zone or area are you in. Looks warm.

Alrighty Sounds good, I was gonna build a pergola and put 3 additional grape trees around the base.

I live in the California Central Valley. More accurately 50 miles east of Fresno (nearest big city)

So far I'm deciding on Himrod, Pink Reliance, Marquis. I've also been looking at the Mars Seedless (if you like it/tried it let me know). If you have any suggestions to the ones I've chosen, hit me up. Cause I'm very new to gardening (last season was my first), and I think it's good to get constructive criticism and or plain old good advice!

I appreciate the help!

Last edited:
I remember seeing the vineyards in the San Juaquin Valley up north of you there quite a few years back. Tokay grapes used to be the table grape of choice back in those days, but I think it fell into disfavor when seedless varieties became more available. Back in the 40's and early 50's the only seedless grape that I was familiar with was the Thompson Seedless. Had a friend that had a vine in his yard and loved to visit him when they were in season.

Oh yeah, grapes are EVERYWHERE around my area. I remember reading something like 70% of table grapes in the US comes from California. Not sure how accurate that statistic is anymore, but I know where quite a few grape vineyards are just within 5 miles of my home.

I'd say a 20% chance. But after doing some reading may have too cause we will have so much, may have to do something with them, but jams and such sound fun. I was reading once the pink Reliance gets into full production I could have up to 40lbs of grape, and multiple by that by 4, and give or take 10-20%. I'll have crops of over 100lbs a year.

I won't be making any wine but as I mentioned in the other post, I did juice my Concords several years back. The canning process kills the enzymes necessary for fermentation. The grandkids loved the juice but I don't know if it affected the kids the same way it does us older folks. I know that drinking a 6 ounce glass of grape juice will necessitate a trip to the 'little house' in about an hour. Boy, does that stuff clean you out.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back