repair terracotta

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

lazy gardener

Did you ever succesfully repair a terracotta pot?
One of my bigger pots broke in two pieces over winter and I would like to repair it as it is a clean "scar".
I'm not sure what glue to use. It doesn't matter if it's not fully waterproof, as long as the two pieces stay stuck together firmly

I'd use silicon, the one for outdoor use!
You will need to tape the pot together once you apply the caulking and wait a good 12 hours for it to cure before you can use the pot!

I kept Gorilla Glue on hand for awhile, but it didn't keep well and I had to throw away the container with most of the glue unused. It is really good stuff though. For years I had an epoxide available for stuff like that, but it is all gone now. There is one available from local hardware stores called JB Weld that is a structural epoxide and I used that to repair a bird bath that David broke with the lawnmower. The epoxies come with a resin and a hardener and keep for long periods as long as they aren't mixed. Once cured, they are waterproof. JB Weld may not be available in Scotland, but similar products would be, I think.

Yes, I love JB Weld. They now have a sandable version for doing fine work. I was so excited when I saw it. Epoxies are always a good choice for long term repairs.
I even fixed an iron chair with a broken leg.....Ok I know you are all thinking if you come to my house you won't sit in the iron chairs. LOL!

I would use the 2-part epoxy. I would also dump out the pot next fall so the soil in it doesn't freeze and cause this problem again.

Saw this and thought of this post :) What a great idea if you can find enough drive lol ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337571136.519070.jpg

That is really cute! I have been using pots that I find broker , as toad houses, but you couls use several to make that type of "new" planter. Thanks for sharing!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back