Starting peas

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

For the last few years I have started my sugar-snap peas in the ground as all the American books say you have to. This tends to be slow and I lose several to chipmunks.

This year I think I'll try starting them indoors and transplant to the garden.

Which way do you think will work best?

Grow in gutter sections and slide them into the garden - old-ish British method and blogged about here

Start in egg shells and transplant soon after the plant sets leafs.

Start in the peat pots that never seem to break down.

Start in newspaper cups as I do with everything else.

A cardboard egg carton may also be a good idea.

This sounds like it needs an experiment.

I'd go with newspaper, if you must start them inside. Just make sure you cover all the paper with soil and water in well. A good sprinkle of cayenne might help discourage rodents.

I have always started mine in the ground. Please let me know how it works starting them inside.

I thought about this more and the egg carton and the egg shells are out because they're too shallow.

I hate the peat pots now. I found one that survived at least three seasons in the garden soil. I still have a few left from that last purchase a few season ago.

I'll try the newspaper pots I roll around a spice jar. These have been great for things like peppers, tomatoes, melons, and squash. As rockhound said they need to be totally buried or the paper will wick the moisture from around the roots and allow it to quickly evaporate on the exposed paper.

I'll also try the gutter sections.

Pea pods are another crop my family can't seem to get enough of so I want every advantage I can get.

Mr Yan, You can shorten the amount of sprouting time by placing the pea seed between paper napkins or news paper. Wet eh paper through and allow to sit in a warm spot. the seeds will prout quickly , you can even allow them to get an inch or so before planting. You must keep the paper wet, do not allow to dry or the sprout will die;) That will give you a head start in planting them in the ground if you don't find another method you like to use.

I use peat pots without any problems.
When I plant the pots in the garden I remove a good inch of the rim before planting!
Removing an inch prevents then peat from wicking moisture!
Do this and you wont have a problem!
The peat pots in my sandy soil breaks down within a month or two!
Tomato roots, as well as squash and eggplant, pass through the sides of the peat and I use this as a gauge on when to plant out in the garden!

I've been rolling my own. Pots that is. I use a strip of news paper about 16" x 4" and roll that around a spice jar. Simply fold over the edge and crimp it a bit and it holds up for at least a few weeks of indoor starts. I'll post some pics when I do that this season.

I have presprouted a lot of things but not my spring peas for some reason.

I think I will do this experiment with peas:

Plant three equal double rows in the same bed. One direct seeded row. One pot transplanted row. One gutter sown row.

All will be pre-germinated as crabbergirl mentioned. All will be placed in the soil at the same time.

Last year I carefully weighted and recorded all the garden produce that came into the house. While I could do this as the final measure of whether this works I'd have to break my habit of snacking on pea pods when walking past them. I think the final measure of success or failure will be a subjective look at the plants and guess as to which produce more.

Mr. yan,

I have seen alot on the subject of new paper ( roll your own) pots. Also paper towel and toilet paper rolls with paper in the bottom work too. Cut to 4" in length and stuff the bottom with newspaper.
You just have to be an equal opportunity snacker in the garden. Take the same amount from each row;) LOL! I know about eating fresh from the garden. I am always tasting something. after all we grow it to eat.
I will be watching to see how your experiment turns out. After all, if not for trying new things, we would not learn.

My daughter learned the snacking from the garden real early too. By the end of last season she was only about 14 months old. She would toddle up to my grape tomato plants and pull off a red tomato and, using all six of her teeth, bite into it.

I tried the rolls but didn't really get it to work well. And now any rolls we have go into my worm bin as bedding.

This afternoon I turned the bed I'll use for peas and beans and the soil is amazing looking. I have built this up only from composting in it over three seasons now. As I turned it I added a wheel barrow full of partially composted matter from my outdoor compost bin. I would have added more from the compost pile but the center of the pile is still frozen.

This bed is 4' x 7' and about 18" deep. This is then placed directly over a concrete patio.
As I turned it I found a lot of worms working in it too.

Tonight I'll start the pea seeds pre-germinating.

Funny how worms find there way to even the most unlikely places. Tim always wants to use the tiller to turn my compost. I won't let him because it chops up my worms. I like to turn by hand.
Snacking in the garden
I have one male dog that eats tomatoes from the garden. He especially like green ones. The females like to eat the herbs, mostly parsley. At first I thought the male was thinking that the tomato was a ball bush, but he actually eats them. I had to put up a fence to keep him out as well as other wild animals. But as I find bad tomatoes , I will give them to him. He thinks they are great!

My dog will quietly sneak grape-tomatoes out of my harvest bowl. He will also gently pull pea pods off the vines if they're low enough. He's a border terrier and nose is only about at my knee level.

That's tall enough. We had a Pomeranian that loved peas and it was so funny to see her pull the pods and get them open for the peas.

I have known vegetarians whose dogs were also vegetarians. I don't deny my dogs much of anything. They won't beg or steal from the table , but they take full advantage of the gardens they can reach. Oh , and don't leave the compost gate open either. they love fresh compost. They are very well fed, they just like to graze. LOL! I guess it is like when we want a snack.

Your dogs sound a lot like mine crabbergirl. It's kind of amazing how many people don't train basics for their dogs.

I used to spread coffee grounds in my garden. Worked great until dog started to eat them. I'm not much a fan of a terrier hopped up on caffiene.

Your dogs sound a lot like mine crabbergirl. It's kind of amazing how many people don't train basics for their dogs.

I used to spread coffee grounds in my garden. Worked great until dog started to eat them. I'm not much a fan of a terrier hopped up on caffeine.

I agree about the training. It is very sad that pet owners don't take care with their pets.

I am ROFL at the terrier hopped up on caffeine!That would not be pretty at all LOL!

sorry crabber my dog does not like coffee. he likes most everything else. he loves vegetables.

I was thinking about training dogs at work today and is it training or teaching how to beg? More orless they're the same thing.

My toddler and dog will both beg for a snack I'm eating. Kiddo was taught she has to sit down when eating and dog knows he olny gets food if sitting. So while snacking i have a terrier and toddler sitting at my feet. At least my daughter is signing please.

My dad is one of those with tiny untrained dogs and the dogs seemingly own the couch. My step mom has it reallywell decorated too, right down to the bed sheet protecting the couch. And more was paid for the couch then my car is currently worth.

I skipped the individual pots as I ran out of time.

2/3 of the peas were planted in the ground after 24 hours soak.

1/3 of the peas were planted in the gutter after a 24 hour soak.

Temps have been around 80 F as high and upper to mid 50s F low. Some rain but not much; <admission> I don't have a rain gauge. This is in a raised bed with no shade from the sun.

Gutter has been in the mudroom but this is unheated and uninsulated.

I used soil from the garden to fill the gutter.

Gutter has about a third of the plantings emerged from the ground.
No peas have emerged from the ground plantings.

It is still early but this is a fast update.

I was thinking about training dogs at work today and is it training or teaching how to beg? More orless they're the same thing.

My toddler and dog will both beg for a snack I'm eating. Kiddo was taught she has to sit down when eating and dog knows he olny gets food if sitting. So while snacking i have a terrier and toddler sitting at my feet. At least my daughter is signing please.

My dad is one of those with tiny untrained dogs and the dogs seemingly own the couch. My step mom has it reallywell decorated too, right down to the bed sheet protecting the couch. And more was paid for the couch then my car is currently worth.

Very preceptive!Training and teaching are synonymous in this case.
( Teaching begins early, training is a corrective) Dogs are creatures of habit ( as are children) I have trained and raised guide dogs for the blind and assistance dogs for about 20 years. Something I am passionate about , even though I no longer have the time to commit to training. :(
Very cool your daughter is learning to sign, you can also teach your dog signs an never need to speak a word to him again ;)
Pack order( pack being the unit in which one lives be it animal or human) is established as soon as a relationship begins. Some people think they are being kind to the animal when what is really happening is the animal has control. LOL!

I skipped the individual pots as I ran out of time.

2/3 of the peas were planted in the ground after 24 hours soak.

1/3 of the peas were planted in the gutter after a 24 hour soak.

Temps have been around 80 F as high and upper to mid 50s F low. Some rain but not much; <admission> I don't have a rain gauge. This is in a raised bed with no shade from the sun.

Gutter has been in the mudroom but this is unheated and uninsulated.

I used soil from the garden to fill the gutter.

Gutter has about a third of the plantings emerged from the ground.
No peas have emerged from the ground plantings.

It is still early but this is a fast update.

Keep us posted

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back