The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I didn't begin my "No Regrets Tour" till I was 51. Decided it was time to have some fun before I got too old to boogie (which hopefully really never happens) If it was legal and moral (well mostly. lol) I was gunna do it. One of the first things I did was travel 4 hours to see Prettylady...some said a leap of faith!! Oh what a time and life has been a blast ever since. I can sleep when I'm dead, yunno?

Can I join you on this tour? Sure wished you didn't live so far away. Wasn't it like 20 hrs when I looked it up. :(

Yeah...like forever away.

But...you can join me "in absentia" in ab·sen·tia (n b-snsh, -sh-)
adv. Abbr. i.a.
While or although not present; in absence:

Go for it, Girl!

Sure hope all of ya are having a beautiful weekend...

I have a few thoughts that are essential for me...

Face your higher self within with attention to the "One" and unity with creation.
Never energize ANYTHING negative for everything we look at gets energized.
Anything based on a desire to connect or unite will be successful
When ya feel down your energy is in low energy viberation..
KEY to high viberation is happy thoughts that equal tremendous level of happiness...
Peggy

Thanks Shiney and Peggy
Sunny here today yipeeeee

time to go see mom and see how she is doing, got to put some chicken wire over her cukes and squash as the darn deer are eating them,

We are seeing deer consistently now, but they have not gotten into my garden yet. I am amazed that I haven't had trouble in the past as there is also a sizable raccoon population also and my corn has not been bothered until well after the season. Ears left on though will be taken down during the wet months by the raccoons.

you are very lucky Randy, they wiped out my flower garden the other night, hostas and dayliliies, and some other stuff, have to fence in the veggie garden, got to make it bigger someday so i can grow enough to can

sorry shiney but we need the sun after a record breaking rainy summer here

playing on ft while im waiting for it to cool off some so i can go mow and play in the garden, too hot right now for me to be outside in the sun
met a gal from the uk on ft that is going to come join the forum

farm town = ft
i think my riding lawn mower blew up on my today,. it started smoking and I shut it off went and got my brother and he started it up and it worked ok for a bit then it wouldn't start so he told me to let it cool off, just went to finish mowing it it didn't sound good and black smoke started coming out so shut it off and decided i was done mowing for the day, got to get someone to look at it. there is oil in it as i checked and my brother checked. He's gone out to dinner so will get him or my dad to look at it for me tomorrow, sure hope it's not something major, it's only 4 yrs old

Doesn't sound good, Laurie. I must have spoken too soon about varmints. I saw one of my corn stalks down today. It was gnawed through at the botton though. A raccoon will just lean on them and push them over.

The lawnmower started up fine this am and I finished mowing, thank goodness.
Randy I had a beautiful buck in my back yard this am, took some pics and got to download them. Not sure if it was an 8 point or what it was, got to look at the pics and count them. He had a nice rack on him.

Randy, my hubby is doing battle with one particular huge racoon that will not leave! there is absolutely nothing here for him to eat, other than snails and slugs I guess...we don't have any corn planted and they don't seem to enjoy beans cubumbers tomatoes etc. we have an animal proof garbage container and compost bin..... he was up on our shed roof this past winter and literally tore off some shakes to get in.... he's really big. We don't really know what to do... but may try trapping him in a prawn trap and realeasing him far far away. I say prawn trap because one year 4 little ones got into hubby's prawn trap and they could not figure how to get out.... our son in law went to great lenghts to realease them safely, without getting attacked by the mom who was very angry at him..... we were away at the time... we said he should have trapped her too and moved them up the mountain somewhere! Hubby has been busy doing new screens over the vents in the house, animal proofing for the coming winter.

The only traps I have large enough for a raccoon are called Conibear traps. I haven't set one for 7 or 8 years because they kill whatever is caught. But one day I saw a cat in the orchard behind us and I wouldn't set that trap any more. I didn't want to trap somebody's pet. The trap I use for skunks though is too small for raccoons. I don't really think that corn stalk was chewed by a raccoon. I believe it was a ground squirrel. I haven't seen any this year, but I have seen some suspicious holes.

Yes, we have a live trap as well, but like you say, it's too small for the racoon. This afternoon, we had the basement door open and he came right in! The prawn trap will be big enough to trap him, it's just that trying to get him out may be hard. I don't know what else we can do. the wildlife people don't even trap bears anymore here! they tell you not to put your garbage out and all that stuff...but a bear ripped someones garage door right open to get at the garbage inside, and someone in our family had a big wooden fence and gate ripped apart.

We have bears in the mountains to the east and to the west of us, but they are far enough away that we aren't bothered by them. I hope it stays that way.

I have had two very busy days in a row as I picked, snapped, and processed beans. I didn't manage to get on the forums yesterday. I finished the last canner load last evening a little before 9:00 PM. I will probably do a couple more loads, 14 more jars, but I won't do another marathon session like that again this year.

I get to play a little bit today, but that means I can pick my chores instead of having them picked for me by necessity. Looks like a great day to work outside. I have an appointment this afternoon with the bloodmobile.

I do believe in playing ~ I 'play' with the washer. I play with the pets. Maybe this is why I taught school ~ I believe in playtime ~ :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back