Tim in PA

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Tim in PA

Hello everyone. I'm new to gardening forums but not to online forums. I'm also fairly new to gardening. We have been in our first house for about 2.5 years and are slowly learning how to care for our plants properly.

Most of our plants that we have are pretty new. We didn't care for the choices that the previous owner of the property had.

Here are some before photos. A lot has changed:

CIMG2793.png

CIMG2794.png

This is our small raised bed during the first year:

0604101707.png

Currently we have second year strawberries, some spinach and celery plants.

This is after we moved around some plants and added some new boxwoods, knockout roses, and azaleas:

CIMG3331.png

Then we were ravaged by a storm with 80mph winds and lost some of our big trees :( :

0725101359b.jpg

0725101359.jpg

I did get some ugly "free" mulch out of it though:

0907101858.png

I concentrated last summer to building a deck. I'll put a railing on sometime this summer:

0604111316.jpg

CIMG4725.jpg

My projects this year are to put some plants around the back and sides of the deck. So I'll need to remove the sod and amend the soil there. The job I'm not looking forward to is below:

IMG_20120318_163440.png

I am getting rid of this wood pile and extending the garden along the whole side. The problem is there are a bunch of pine tree roots in the way. I'll have to get those out of the way and amend the soil. My wife wants to plant raspberry and blueberry bushes here.

The only pictures missing are the North side of the house. That has a new garden last year. It includes more azaleas, butterfly bush, peonies and we transplanted whatever the redish looking bush from the rear of the house. It is all looking good this Spring so far.

Anyways, that is enough for now. I'm looking forward to meeting you all and learning a ton!

Welcome to our forum Tim!
Looks like you've been very busy!
If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Hi Tim,
Welcome! That was an ugly tree event, glad for the most part everything is OK. At least you got some mulch ;)

You have done a nice amount of work there. I really like the night picture with the luminaries.
we are all more then happy to share tips and ideas, so jump on in,and make yourself at home!

Thank you for the welcomes. I'm going to try and get some pictures of some of our plants to night. I could use some pruning tips.

Welcome to the forum! :D Cool moves and that deck looks great. That's a lot of yard to grow stuff in too. Btw, you totally lucked out with that storm. That happened here and our whole roof had to be replaced. We had a pile of trees as tall as me too. That was a ton of work!
Dive in cause we have tons of threads about every kind of plant here! :)

Welcome Tim
My you have been busy. I don't blame you for not looking forward to the back
yard cleanup for the new beds.
Hey if I lived closer I would love to help you move the wood pile (into my yard)
Welcome

Welcome to the forum! :D Cool moves and that deck looks great. That's a lot of yard to grow stuff in too. Btw, you totally lucked out with that storm. That happened here and our whole roof had to be replaced. We had a pile of trees as tall as me too. That was a ton of work!
Dive in cause we have tons of threads about every kind of plant here! :)

We definitely got lucky! Only minor damage to the house and no damage to either of our cars. If the trees would have fallen 20 degrees the other way, BOTH cars would have been hit plus the house. All of this happened while my wife was away in China. She came home a few days later after most of it was cleaned up. Quite the surprise!

Welcome Tim
My you have been busy. I don't blame you for not looking forward to the back
yard cleanup for the new beds.
Hey if I lived closer I would love to help you move the wood pile (into my yard)
Welcome

I've had the wood on Craigslist for about 2 weeks. Someone came and took part of the pile and gave me the full asking price. So far nobody has showed any interest in the rest. I should have put it all on during the winter. DOH!

hey Ti nice to see you on here. join in we all are just friendly and silly sometimes.

Glad you joined us Tim....there are a lot of great gardeners on our site that are filled with all kinds of knowledge....Welcome.....

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back