Utilizing obvious space!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Markymark

I was at work and was thinking for a second the biggest wasted space that I really can't do much with is? My garden entrance! So I was sitting there thinking for a second and this is what struck me. The door really couldn't serve a purpose for a large plant like a tomato so I thought that this would make it most usable. So I think all together the door cost me about $30 dollars to make.

Items I used was two 2x6x10's, the door is 7 feet tall, and 3 feet wide. For the boards on the bottom and the lattice I used redwood dog eared boards, I got 3 nicely sized 4 inch hinges for the door, I also installed some cabling on the top to prevent it from slouching. Reinforced the 4x4 on the right with some 45 degree bracing, and installed the 2x4 on top to help keep the door from sagging, and it also shares a similar design with the pergola. The bottom board probably has a 5-10 degree slope and has a 1/2 gap (I circled it in the picture) at the right side that allows water to exit, I also drilled 5 holes (7/16) in the bottom board for additional drainage. Once the compost, and 1 lb of rock dust settles I'll mulch on the top just so it doesn't dry out. It's already setup on drip irrigation so no watering required (I watered in my plants just to make sure transplant shock if any doesn't happen to bad).

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1899.png

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

FYI the lattice isn't sloping, it's the planter box on the bottom that allows the water to exit out the backside of the box. I tested the drainage on the box and it works well. The white powder on the box is rock dust, when people ask it's my garden crack. Bad joke but it does lighten the mood real quick.
IMG_1997.jpg

Last edited:
Once the beans start shooting off it should look pretty cool covered in cucumbers and pinto beans. The door isn't sagging or anything yet but if it does I may use cabling inside the door to make sure it stays straight otherwise the latch doesn't work all that great.

You could always attach a small wheel to the bottom of the gate to keep it from sagging, and it'll make the gate open easier! Just a thought!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back