What can I start from from seed?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

tominohio

As I'm sure a lot of people are, I am getting tired of waiting for spring. I was wondering what if anything I could get started on for my vegetable garden(from seed). I'm in zone 5 or 6 not sure, depending on which site I enter my zip 44420.

Still too early Tom!
Even in Ohio!
The only thing I can think of are egg plants (I find that they take a while to get to a good size), at least until the end of the month! Then you can start your peppers....remember not to push it, try to work back from your final frost date for your area!
I wont be starting my tomatoes until the last week of April, and set them out around May 24th!

I know that dreaded wait ..have you tried starting a few seeds under grow lights inside? Or maybe a few little starter pots in a window? I have very good luck doing this but I am in a warmer climate. I posted a pic under the "greenhouse forum" of an old aquarium that I transformed into a mini greenhouse. I started tomato seeds in it. Last week I transfered the tomato plants to the green house outside. I get very bored waiting for spring, I have to find a way to grow something as soon as the new year rolls around. I planted flower seeds in pots outside weeks ago. I put the pots inside clear plastic garbage bags. I have plants growing now. I have done some winter sowing in plastic jugs, that works good too. Just a few ideas to help with those Spring withdrawals... my wait is almost over...woohoooooo.

Yeah, Gloria has the right idea. Even a little starter pot or two can help take the edge off that anxiety to get something started.

If you have some 4" pots you can start all kinds of things in side in a sunny window. Tomatoes and peppers are best. You want to stay away from anything that will climb or has a poor transplant rating. No root crops. You could start lettuces and herbs. Cilantro, arugala. As long as you have one plant to the pot they will transplant into the garden well. If you have to wait 8 weeks you will still be ok with these veggies.

I started my flower seed pods the 23rd of Feburuary
and it helped with the edginess

I already have three pods with life (red poppies)

and now I am just waiting for signs,,,but I planted all seeds that take a whlile to germinate so when it does get warmer I wil have decent size plants to plant

I have to water them lightly every day to keep them moist
so it's like tending to a mini garden...;)

I guess I forgot to add the "inside" part. It would seem most believe I could get started on tomatoes and peppers now? I have a shoplight grow light, I used two yrs. ago. I can't remember when I started stuff that year, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion. Don't want to start things too early, but would like to get something going.

Does anybody use those warming pads for under the plants? How far above your pots do you hang your growlight?

With my 2 double tube 4ft fixtures I don't need a heating mat since the lights give off enough heat for seed germination!
I have them on chains that I can rise of lower as the seedlings grow.
I have them on a frame that I enclosed with clear plastic. Helps to keep the heat in and the moisture levels high.
I mostly use them for perennials, rather then veggies!
Since most perennials from seed start off slow, I start in January and sow right through until late May!
I have a large sunroom which faces south with all windows. I find the high light perfect for starting my veggies!

I also do winter sowing and have a couple of dozen pots in ziplock bags out on the deck....These perennials seeds need several weeks of cold before they germinate, and will stay out there in the fluctuating temperatures until they stat germinating in late April! In all I start around 50 to 60 different species and hand up with hundreds of seedlings.
In another week I will be putting my cold frame together so I can harden off the seedlings before they are ready for separating and planting up in cell packs! Which will be around mid April!
75% of what I start are for sale, the other 25% will be planted out in the gardens!

Gawd! I'm tired just thinking about the amount of work I'll be metering out over the next couple of months!

I am in a warmer climate Tom, zone 9 but I have started some tomato and pepper seeds, and some perennials. I should have started them the end of January to have them ready by April 1 to transplant but oh well I still have them. I am only two weeks behind. I am starting some more today and hope to be able to sell some since I don't have the room. I am glad Ron mentioned eggplants take a while so I will plant those seeds today. Our last front date runs the end of March but I wait until after Easter to plant outside, since our Easter snaps tend to be quite cold.

Good luck everyone with your gardens this spring. I am glad to be back with you all more often.

We are starting cold weather crops here. Broccoli, cauliflower and peas. We are targeting setting out mid-late April. They are crops that can withstand a light frost. Don't know how successful we'll be as we are still acclimating to gardening in Iowa :)

I'm gonna put the banquet table back in the florida room this week. Dig out all my pots, and get some potting soil or top soil to get started soon. Threw a layer of leaves on the garden this weekend to keep weeds down till I plant. They always seem to pop up before I get in there to plant. Then I'll just till them in.

I have already set out my garden. Beans, peas, tomatoes, cukes, squash, collards, zucchini, okra, onions and peppers. My eggplant is still in the greenhouse growing. I am down in Georgia and the weather is amazing here!

I also use a warming lamp but find that a mat underneath is not neccessary. The lamp works wonders! I use small peat pots and something under to catch any loose dirt. I also purchased a cheap greenhouse (20.00) at Big Lots. I keep it outside and even when the weather was still cool my plants were just fine. As soon as the weather warmed up I set them out.

Thank goodness for Georgia!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back