what the heck

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

Now this just ain't right
This stinkin hawk sit on my chicken run and shops for lunch...at least he only takes small birds.

Attachments

• resident chicken hawk 006.jpg
    resident chicken hawk 006.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 297
We had one stay in our maple tree with the other birdes not seeing him i guess , but anyways he almost hit
hubby in the head trying to get to one of the sparrows in flight . This was back in late summer . We also have a chicken Hawk
that sits on fence across from us , think hes keeping an eye on the chickens at the place down from us. I dont like
what they do , but do like to see them .

We have plenty of raptors around here too covering all sizes. Eagles are a few miles away so we don't see them over our place. I have netting over our chicken pen so the chickens are safe from overhead predators.

He is sitting on the chicken wire on the chicken run. He is kinda small his body is maybe 12" tall
The pic shows him about 10" but he is standing on one foot and crunched down in the wind.

The sparrow hawk (North American Kestril) is our smallest raptor and then we have two more that are larger; the Cooper's Hawk, and the Sharp-shinned Hawk. Some years ago the Sharp-shinned Hawk was on the non-protected list, but that changed and I am sure that all raptors are protected now. I believe the largest hawk we have and there are many, is the Red-tailed Hawk. They are often sitting in one of the trees in our pasture.

We have all 3 of them here. I know he is not a sparrow hawk. I have a really hard time telling the other two apart

I have a pair that hunt my garden everyday. They actually keep the moles and voles out of my garden. I think they are considerably bigger than that one. We have red tail and red should hawks here as well as the smaller hawks ;)My Chicken steers clear of the hawks and the eagles ;)
What's funny in your picture is the dove looking down on the hawk.

I can't tell the Sharp-Shinned from the Cooper's Hawk either without referring back to the book. They are all beautiful birds. Bob has posted a couple of pictures on FB of Bald Eagles the last couple of days. One picture showed about seven Bald eagles in the sky above him. I haven't seen a Bald Eagle fishing, but I have seen Ospreys engage in the activity while I was trying the same with hook and line. They make it look so easy.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back