When to build a new raised garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Does anyone have any useful youtube links on how to build your own raised beds for gardening? My backyard is all grass, and I would have to turn over a section of soil in order to start my garden. I would prefer to just build a gardening bed, and place it over my grass. I don't care if the grass dies underneath, but I would like nice looking raised beds. If anyone could post some how to videos, I would really appreciate it.

I don't have raised beds now, but I did have at our last house. I did what you are proposing and it worked out well. That was quite a few years back now and I think I hauled in topsoil to fill the raised beds.

Bankysmith, are you looking for a step by step guide to building the box and or filling it? I think that The All New Square Foot Gardening book walks you through it rather well. I've built 4 wooden raised beds on the lawn in my backyard and one wooden raised bed on a concrete slab in my backyard but I didn't follow any instructions.

I used a mix of shredded fall leafs, garden / yard scraps, peat moss, and local top soil. I also mixed in the entire contents of my compost pile when making these. There was no real plan to how I mixed it but I had read about lasagna layers before I made the beds.

If you add a lot of yard scraps at once to a lasagna bed the composting action will heat up the material and kill off the plants. You'll want to wait a few weeks between building a lasagna bed and planting it.

I don't like weed block fabric across the bottom of my beds but many people do like these. I find that adding a thick layer of newspapers - call it a full section of a paper opened up - over the lawn before adding the grow medium kills off any grass and unwanted plants from growing up and through the raised bed.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back