Young lilac w/ unknown disease...help!!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

wpark2419

I bought a dwarf tinkerbelle lilac about a month ago. It was doing very well after I planted it until about a week ago. I noticed the leaves started turning brown and curling upwards, though it was still flowering. The flowering has mostly stopped now (it may be done, I'm not sure) and all the leaves are very sick looking, brown and curled and very dry, almost crunchy. Someone said it looked like powdery mildew even though there's no powder so I put some anti fungal spray on it 4 days ago and it's still looking bad. I usually water it every day on warm days. I've looked it over and cannot see any bugs, or evidence of bugs. I will try to upload a few pictures (sorry about the quality, the wind was blowing). I live in zone 6 if that helps. Any ideas would be appreciated.
100_1487.jpg

100_1488.jpg

100_1489.jpg

I'd take it back to the place you purchased it!
There is no need to water every other day!
Once a week is more then enough for newly planted lilacs!

When it first started I was watering twice a week. I thought it was drying out so I started watering more hoping to fix it. I will cut back on watering again.

Yup, watering once a week deeply is much better than watering more often. I think maybe it got too much "kindness".

I love the way you worded that. I'll try to be less nice to it :) Someone told me it looks like frost damage but that it should be fine. Do you think that's what it is?

There were a couple of hard frosts right after I planted it. If this is frost damage is there anything I can do to make it live?

If it is frost damage it should re-leaf. If you bought it early your garden center may not take it back. I know that the garden centers around here were concerned with the very early spring. People were wanting annuals in March, when May is normal.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back