My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

The problem with this last pile was I didn't keep it watered during the drought. I had a hard enough time keeping the small veg garden hydrated that I didn't care about the pile.

I've gotten really into the worm bins and am liking the compost output. The composting ability is amazing with these two flow through worm bins. All my veg kitchen scraps along with some of the garden scraps now.

I would use a pitch fork - 11 tine with a D handle - to turn the outdoor bin. But I only have room for one bin in the yard so any new waste has to go on top of the working bin. These bins should really be a batch process so I was hurting myself in that manner.

Funny how things are so different from region to region. Here in the south anything goes. We put chicken bones in from time to time ( don't eat much meat) and one year I had a huge stone crab claw loss of 750 pounds. We dug a small trench and put them in and started a pile on top as we turned the pile we used the tiller to bring that debris up into the pile. It was the most awesome garden I eve had.

Citrus is supposed to be a no no as is sunflowers, however I put it all in there. If it is organic ....it's going in my pile.

Lysle just cut 2 of my River Birch trees down that were shading the piles. ( Part of our ongoing renovations :( ) That will allow more heat to get to my bins especially through the winter.

Yesterday I just added the specialty grains and remains of the pelleted hops from a batch of beer to my worm compost bin.

I have a raised garden bed which I'm finding out is really just a large outdoor worm compost bin. I hope to rebuild it for next year. This bed is over a concrete pad so I had to build the whole thing up from scratch - and really that was to use hey bales and shredded leafs along with some compost and a few tubs of bait worms. My plans in the next week to remove some of the compost and use that to top off a small raised bed then mix in new garden material to compost down along with a bale of peat moss and some native soil from another area of the yard.

My veggie gardens are comming along well:)

Attachments

• pink toms.JPG
    pink toms.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 328
  • eggplant.JPG
    eggplant.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 286
  • corn.JPG
    corn.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 299
Thanks Ron! It's the first time I've tried the Thai pink tomatoes and they're going well so far.....

Very nice john. i have 4 tomatoes on the vine but my cole crops are just kicking it. Arugula by the basket load. Need to take some pictures

Awesome garden, Wombat! :D The only veggies I have left are my pineapple plant, my pink banana plant, and some peppers but they're doing great indoors.
@ Crabber. Show pics! :D

Josh,
I'll try to get some pics today. Our highs have dipped into the 60's so I may have to pick the toms and ripen indoors :(

More from the veggie garden.....butternut pumpkin.....butterbeans starting and snow peas:)

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 295
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 308
a bit of rain helped them along while I was away...eggplant yellow zucchini and cues:)

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 305
Wow! Looking good John! I had to pick my last 4 tomatoes before a rogue freeze we had so I am jealous of your veggies.
It is time for me to get seeds started for spring planting. My cole crops are doing pretty good but I am ready for spring to be here. I started cleaning yesterday and spreading compost. I do have about 5 worms to every 3 x 3 foot square. That makes me happy. I know the bok choy looks a little sad but it got too cold the night before I took the picture. :( Onions and garlic are doing good too.

Attachments

• cabbage (800x533).jpg
    cabbage (800x533).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 298
  • kolrobi (800x533).jpg
    kolrobi (800x533).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 302
  • bok choy (533x800).jpg
    bok choy (533x800).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 290
Our published last frost date is mid-April, but they lie. At least half the time we still have frost into May.

Wow! Looking good John! I had to pick my last 4 tomatoes before a rogue freeze we had so I am jealous of your veggies.
It is time for me to get seeds started for spring planting. My cole crops are doing pretty good but I am ready for spring to be here. I started cleaning yesterday and spreading compost. I do have about 5 worms to every 3 x 3 foot square. That makes me happy. I know the bok choy looks a little sad but it got too cold the night before I took the picture. :( Onions and garlic are doing good too.

6 months from now you should have some nice yummy veggies in your garden to share........... :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back