My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Curbie,
Compost is home made dirt for lack of a better description. Most people pile up their kitchen scraps, leaves, grass clipping and such. The pile will get very hot as it decomposes. This is called cooking. Once the pile finishes cooking and cools down , you have compost , a very rich soil that can be used to fertilize your plants or you can plant directly in the new soil. Call it kitchen recycling ;)

OK. now what do you put this in? A plastic bin? Nothing like an INQUISITIVE mind. If curiousity killed the cat..... If you don't ask, you can't learn. :) Curbie

Does Rooting a Cabbage Stem and Having it in a Pot on the Windowstill count as a Veg Garden???? LOL

Lots of Yummy Leaves!!!

Does Ash like cabbage? How big was the piece you planted? Yep, Farmer Prowl. It counts as a vegetable garden! Maybe you can display it in a county fair somewhere. :)Curbie

Well Curbie it was The Last bit of Hispi Cabbage Head that I had in water to Try and Keep it Going... It Rooted So I thought Why Not...

Veggies and fruit comming back to life:) Arrowroot, lemons and first strawberries.....

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 328
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 298
More plants :) Rainbow chard that survived the winter, new mulberries forming and chillies that also survived winter....the chard has mustard greens growing all through the bed, that'll be dug back in as green manure when it flowers.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 282
John,
Looking good!

I pulled the toms and we processed the green, and not so green ones!
The peppers are still producing and will process them in another week or so...but before a we get a frost! I'll be pickling them!
I thought that planting the zucs late would be the best way to avoid the squash borers, but that was a bust because the borers got into them anyway! I'll plant them early in May next year so I can at least get a few fruit before the borers get them.
The squash ....well... there are two fruit but the borers didn't bother with the vines.
I'll plant them in May next year too so they will have time to produce a lot more fruit!
Live and learn!

I'll be digging over the new area (that I'll be planting tomatoes next year) at some point next week and get a load of manure for both gardens so they will be all prepped and ready for next year!

Looking great John!

I came back home to nothing but luffas. Some of the toms are coming back from the roots so I think I will let them grow and plant a few new ones. To late for me to start from seed with toms.

I got 3 yards of compost yesterday that Lysle brought me. So my work is lined up for the next few days. I need to get a replanting of my cole crops and some winter herbs and veggies. I am excited. If I can get Tim to stop planning stuff for me I might actually get my garden tuned up :D

OK. now what do you put this in? A plastic bin? Nothing like an INQUISITIVE mind. If curiousity killed the cat..... If you don't ask, you can't learn. :) Curbie

They sell compost tumblers and bins , but you don't need to spend all that kind of money.

I work it on a large scale so I use "pallets" like you see sod or stone stacked on. I use 10 and make 3 boxes out of them side by side.

I have afriend that uses a standard recycle bin. It has holes in the bottom so it drains and worms can get in. She covers it with weed barrier cloth.

I have another friend, and I have also done this, who just piles it up on the ground. when I work in the prison, a U of F professor told me if you pile it up, add enough green and brown , that's all you have to do. He showed me his pile and it was huge. Of course it was a Universtiy project but still it was so impressive! He said most people over think compost. It is a set it and forget it type thing. ;)

Nancie your friend was pretty right that's all I basically do in my heaps as long as enough heat is generated it'll work fine. I have a couple of compost bins that I also use...I got them one year for Christmas lol.

Curbie, my piece of land is about a third of an acre all up, with the backyard taking up a good 50% of it.....there's a bit of lawn, well green stuff anyway, but most of it is taken up by flower and veggie gardens plus my little rainforest.

I typically fail with traditional compost because I keep adding stuff to it so I never have a finished product.

This year I switched so all my kitchen scraps go into worm bins and get vermi-composted while the garden and yard waste goes into a traditional heap.

This year I grabbed some grass clippings (neighbor was watering and mowing while all yards were brown) and mixed in some paper as carbon. I heated up and started normally but then it dried out and failed. I now plan on using the remaining as over wintering mulch.

Mr Yan try and have a few heaps going at the same time, as the rate of decomposition varies from pile to pile. Also make sure you turn them regularly....your grass clipping should have heated up on their own naturally. The paper must have dried it out a little too much.

Mr Yan,
You need to water the pile if it is too dry and open it up to help aerate it to help speed it up.
I use a metal rod to poke holes and to help stir it up!

Hey, Mr.Yan. My friend has a compost heap and he put EVERYthing in it from his garden & whatever he buys from the store. He's had great success with it but it takes a lot of work & sometimes it's smelly. He has a BIG yard. We live in a t/h so there's really no way to have a composting pile here. No, I'm no authority on composting but think of all the food anyone throws away. Just a thought. Curbs

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back