Please pray for Randy

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I escaped the hospital today and things did go well with the surgery. My belly is sore though and according to to doctor it will be that way for about three days and then will change markedly. He knows what he is doing and I'm sure he is right about that too. I was sure I wasn't going to need any pain medication. Wrong! I haven't filled the prescription yet, but I had some tablets here at home. He told me it was different at home where people didn't jump to wait on me. It is true. My wife tries to help, but I have to do my own walking and that works some of those muscles. It didn't take me long to take one of those pills when I got home. I may need another before the day is over. The level of pain right now though is tolerable, so we'll see. The doc did say no heavy work for two weeks. I started a book this afternoon by James Michenor. It is titled "Texas" and I am looking forward to reading it. My brother's teen and college years were spent in Texas, for the most part and he considered that his home. His ideal for the perfect town/city was Three Rivers, Texas and my idea of the perfect town/city was Sherman, Texas. It was name Sherman long before William T. Sherman marched through Georgia too. I have ancestral roots there in Sherman. One of the sheriffs of Grayson County was one of my relatives and he was shot and killed trying to save a man in jail from being lynched.

The only picture I believe would qualify above is that guy on the food network. I don't like the show that has him on it though. I would not tolerate that kind of behaviour toward another human.

Randy,
Enjoy the down time as best you can. A good book always helps to past the time. ;)
Continued prayers for your speedy recovery

The doctor told me that it was going to get worse when I was in a situation where people (nurses) weren't waiting on me. He sure was right and I am grateful for pain medication. He said the worst of it will be over after tomorrow and also not to do any heavy work for a couple of weeks while that heals up. He doesn't have to remind me. I did start on a book that I have been holding back for just such an occasion. I read a little bit in it today. But I have spent just about all day sitting in my recliner. It has the right angle to take the pressure off my innards so I haven't wandered far from it.

I have started it, Curbie. I was warned ahead of time that it takes quite a few pages into it before it starts to grip you. I think that is a standard Michener 'tool' though as I saw that same thing in "Poland" and "Alaska".

I was able to remove the outer bandages this morning and take a shower. It looked like the main entrance into the abominable (abdominal) cavity was the belly button. I never would have thought of that. The shower felt great and it was good to scrape the whiskers off my face. I'm not ready for running around the block yet though.

I have a PURR for you & your family, Randy! (I still don't know where a gall bladder is). Maybe go out and hang on that fence you repaired. I can't even stand a bandaid so I'd be going nuts. MTM uses a LOT of bandaids b/c of paper cuts. Personally, I'd rather let the dog lick the wound. We are all so glad you are doing so well, Randy! Curbie

I don't know exactly where it is/was either but from the incision locations I can make a fair guess. I am still pretty sore and Fiona says that will be true for quite awhile. She is basing that on her surgery at the end of last year (hysterectomy). I'm not quite sure how that equates with a gall bladder removal though except that both procedures take place in the abdominal cavity. Sitting and rising are things that still remind me that I need to be careful. It hurts. But I can tell that I am hurting less with each passing day. When I get back to work on the fence, I believe I will have Fiona direct the man-cub (grandson) to assist me. It will make it so much easier and quicker.

Im glad you are feeling better each day.....just dont overdo.....it will take several weeks before you are healed inside......

I have made my post-op appointment and it will be two weeks after the surgery. The surgeon was right on though about the recovery. I am right on track but my belly is still quite sore.

Randy,
don't rush feeling better, those chores will still be there, unfortunate as that is, when you are ready for "hard" labor. So glad you are back with us. Yes, most procedures are don through the abdomen with 2 to 3 incisions. And yes, the belly button is one of the favorite sites for at least one instrument. When you consider the muscle they enter through and the manipulation they do, you can see how it would be that sore. ( I watch the Discovery Channel) ;)

Did you Discover Anything yet, CG? LOL! I would tell the doctor,"PLEASE don't touch me. Just look how WELL I'm DOING!" Don't forget to flirt with the nurses, Randy! Curbie

No, Curbie, I don't flirt with anybody. But I still manage to get some lumps on my head. I was sitting under the apple tree yesterday afternoon reading my book and an apple dropped on my head. It doesn't hurt much today though. I think I'll wear my hard hat when I read out there.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back