Any tips on heated compost?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Markymark

I bought some compost from a local place and the compost is nice dark and rich colored but it's still warm. Like it isn't hot enough to really burn but I suspect it's around 110F or less. I'm wondering how long I should wait to plant in the beds with them. I've taken two packs of seeds, radishes and beets (wasn't worried if they come up or not) and just threw them all over the beds for testers. I'm gonna order myself a compost thermometer and a soil ph tester for my blueberries and Chilean guavas. Expensive plants so I don't want to lose them because of my ignorance.

Thanks for any input.

Usually once you kind of move the compost around and spread it , it cools down. But since you really aren't sure how cooked it is, a thermometer sounds like a good idea. If you stick your hand deep in the pile how much warmer is it? If you have the area to spead it out a bit before using, even if in small piles, you cut the chance of it being too hot. once it is spread out it stops cooking, if it stays piled up , it can continue to cook.

I got this for a tester. I needed a soil ph tester and I know they got one at home depot but mine didn't make it past the year, plus this actually has 1 more reading which is the temperature + digital reading.

What I did was threw it in my raised beds and soaked it with water (I was tossing in my poor radishes and chives).

Usually if spread thin enough (6" or so) the compost won't hold a killing temperature. I don't think you would have a problem with sowing seeds. By the time the roots are deep enough it will have cooled. I think you are right in being cautious with the larger transplants though.

I fail at making compost in a traditional pile so I tend to compost in place now (think lasagna) and don't worry about the heating under the seeds.

It's really a pain for me to do something to the compost once it's in the bed, as I can't really dig around in it because I have hardware cloth in it and I would hate to damage that stuff enough to allow a gopher in.

I planted watermelon, french dressing, white isicile, and cherry belle radishes. Tossed in some Chive, beets, and baby's breath (flowers I got free in the mail that are edible). So I got a lot of testers out. I was thinking the warm soil may assist in germinating them. I got a few more plants I want to order was well, specifically another Chilean Guava, and they are like $33 to get.

Mark,
Water helps to keep the pile cooking, where as if it gets real dry it usually stops cooking. I understand your dilemma, if the temps are not above about 100 or so, you should be OK. Fresh planted seeds will sprout but the fine roots not survive, and some tender seeds maybe killed off by the heat. Surviving Seeds will germinate when the temp is right. Established plants with a good root ball covered in soil will be fine. ;) Worst case with the seeds is poor germination and a need to reseed.

Well, today I'm going to finish up the irrigation and cycle that. Man I'm getting really nervous my little grape tree I planted ain't looking too good. I planted it with old compost that I used to grow my kakai pumpkins in, so I doubt that is the reason and I'm wondering if it was the frost that nailed it. My older grape tree hasn't come out of its dormant state nor my other one I planted. So I'm hoping it wasn't my fault it's dead, or is it just going into dormancy?

Don't write it off! Was that the transplant or a new plant? If transplant , even if not bare rooted, it could be shock. Also if you did have frost, that is a very real concern. I would remove damaged leaves, make sure it has enough water, maybe protect from the sun if it is really hot right now, and give it time to recover. By removing the damaged leaves it will give the plant a chance to concentrate on new leaf production ;)

It was a bare root transplant, the grape tree had leaves. The leaves have almost wilted off completely, when I get home I'll remove the leaves. It is only getting up to 75f so it's not really hot yet. But I was looking at other grapevine orchards and none of their grapes have come out or dormancy, so could that frost have sent it into dormancy? Man I hate planting small trees they always make me so nervous. I haven't really been watering the new grape trees as I read they need very little water besides in drought, but once I finish my irrigation (which has been on hold for a few days since I'm building a small cool raised bed which should be done today) - I think you guys will like the design. When I finish I'll add a bunch of pictures.

Well it's about done just need some stain and allowing the stuff to cure. I think it has come out really nice. Now I just gotta find some nice hardware to go with the theme. I really hope it just went into dormancy cause it's making me really nervous. Oh I was testing the temperature of the compost and it's in the 60s. But the thermometer I used has only a 6 inch prob. I'll use my new one I got in the mail. I really like the new one so far. Was testing the soil in my blueberries and it was testing 5.5. My normal outdoor garden soil was a 7 so not bad. Think I will toss in some slow release sulfur in the black berries, blue berries, and raspberries beds.

60's is great, so go for it. My grape just started budding and it has been a very warm winter. I bet yours if ine;)
Waiting for pics :D

I just noticed my two grape trees are budding. But the one I said took damage, either frost or not doesn't appear to be budding quite yet, so I'm crossing my fingers it's okay.

It's not an issue to buy another one it's just Home Depot and Lowes stop carrying grapes, raspberries etc so quick it's weird. So I'd have to go to another source to get a new one.

Was testing my compost temperature and it was like around 61-64 depending on shade and bed.

That is an early spring ground temp. Sounds like it is done cooking for the most part.
If the grape did get hit with frost , it may be slower to come out than those that may not have had frost.

I took this as I was leving for work this morning. Last night this vine only had buds, but it had rained yesterday and this morning, it had leaves. Should be a good grape year ;)

Attachments

• Grapes 001 (800x532) (2).jpg
    Grapes 001 (800x532) (2).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 258
I bet yours produce first. My vine is old and last year we didn't get too many grapes. It might be because I sacrifed leaves for cooking though. At the end of the season I will cut grape vines for decorating. It really needs a good trim ;)

Last year it did produce but as I was new to grapes I didn't understand why it gave such small grapes, it was busy increasing it's size (I didn't prune it). So this year I've reduced it back to a single cane so it should give me proper sized grapes. Plus it's been mulched and has a really nice location. I was reading planting chives around your grape tree is great for controlling aphids (I didn't have any on my plant so I'm just gonna plant them cause I love'em). They're also on drip irrigation, I need to reduce the amount though. I was reading grapes really don't need to be watered unless in a drought then a bit of water is needed.

You are right about the water. I hardly ever water mine. Only in summer drought conditions or if we have a really dry winter.
Ok so the great grape race is on! ;)

I never do water mine, but water is not a problem for the deep roots of the grapes. I do have to water the vegetable garden though as we can go several weeks without rain in the summer months.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back