Anyone know about CSA? Community Supported Agriculture

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Jade

I am interested in buying a share in a local farm for next year...just heard about this on PBS the other night. We are trying to be self sufficient but our yard doesn't cooperate.

You should talk to a local farmer! Maybe he would be willing to pitch in for a small fee for tilling and manuring and leasing a plot! A small profit would be an incentive for him while you plant, weed and harvest!
Just a thought if there's no CSA in your area!

We have some of those around here and the ones that participate are very happy with the arrangement.

It seems very reasonable to me, there is one the next county over where you pay about 15 bucks a week for enough veggies for 2 people. Also includes berries and cherries. I have been researching this and it looks like a local college has a 7 acre plot devoted to CSA, they don't have prices posted. I may just go snooping to see what is up. Also our local extension office has a Victory Garden that you can participate in for VERY cheap. It is like 5 bucks a week. Since I am already disobeying many doctor orders by gardening this year I am not sure that I should go for that this year. I don't know why I never knew about CSA, maybe those years in Ontario got me out of the loop. But, good news, I am now back in the loop.

That is good. If I didn't have a good garden spot, I wouldn't hesitate to be a part of one of those.

I spend more than 15 bucks a week on veggies now, and since I am an adventurous cook throwing me a curveball here and there might be fun

I'd say to try it and see how it goes. Believe it or not, we have garden plots down in D.C. that are shared. You wouldn't think there was any space in D.C. so the plots are small but there are a lot of Chinese who garden and THEY can grow SO MANY things so well. I'd try it,Jade. Curbz

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back