Coping With Life's Changes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

It does look good Janet. We remodeled our kitchen a couple of years back and it was a big job. As Nancie said in her original post about projects, the brain was willing but the flesh was meek lol. I'll get help next time...if there is a next time that is!

Oh John. Everyday I wonder what possessed me to take on such a huge project. When I get this yard work done I think I am going on vacation from projects for a while.

This cold weather is killing me. I will most likely gain a bunch of weight because all I want to do is stay inside and stay warm. But there is so much work to do outside.

Oh John. Everyday I wonder what possessed me to take on such a huge project. When I get this yard work done I think I am going on vacation from projects for a while.

This cold weather is killing me. I will most likely gain a bunch of weight because all I want to do is stay inside and stay warm. But there is so much work to do outside.

Lol.... well here I am forced inside because it is cold wet and dark outside! so that means comfort food, baking, lighting candles, sitting and watching tv or on the computer....yes it is pretty hard not to gain weight here in winter! :D I have finally realised that I can not do things like I used to, so I am starting to control myself from taking on big things anymore.

Nancie I know what you mean! Now I just try and get one smallish job completed at a time. This is important if it's a large project as most larger projects consist of a heap of small jobs put together so I just ration it out now. I'm still only about half way through all my Spring chores and it's officially Summer now, lol:eek:
Janet it took me a while to realise the same thing.:rolleyes: Now if it gets done then that's great but if it doesn't well, manana, manana:D Sorry my pc doesn't come with a tilde.....to put over the n;)

Yup!
We are all in the same boat!
Little projects are the way now.....or break down the major ones into smaller easier to handle jobs! Doing the prep work before you start really helps so I don't have to waste my energy go looking for everything! I get it all in one spot which makes doing the project so much easier!
Trying to psych myself to start up with the laminate flooring again, but that is just too danting for me right now, so I want to get the metal framing for the false ceiling in the livingroom painted! Then I can go buy the new panels to replace the old ones! That seems less of a stressfull job then the flooring, as I can take my time.....Living room should look great once I get the ceiling done......then might feel more positive about starting up the flooring again!!!!

We had an appliance repairman work on the dryer a few days ago and the next day Fiona told me the vent behind it was separated. I told her that my days of climbing over the dryer or washer were gone and that job was now for the 18 year old in the house. He asked me what to do and then popped over the dryer and took care of the problem. Should have thought of him sooner.

You sure are correct John! It's often like dominoes too, do one thing and it cascades into all these other things that need doing either before or during or after. We still have one unpainted wall because we need to take the old microwave range fan down, and the shelf on that wall, but I don't want to do that until the new shelf is ready, and we can't put up the corner cupboard either because half of it is on that wall, and the shelf there now is too long, no point taking all the stuff off the old one, taking it down, cutting it shorter, putting it back up, then doing it all again when the new shelf comes!! lol....

Wow, sounds like you are caught in a 'sequence'. That is the name of a short story by Patrick McManus and I think it is my daughter's favorite. Of course, the items in the sequence are different, but we have all been there. In the story, of course, it is exaggerated for effect but still hilarious in its concept. I have 13 of the McManus books and read one of the stories to the family on occasion.

Nothing wrong with sequencing!!
That is how I function these days.....one thing leads to another and so on, and so on.....I'll eventually get everything done.....it'll just take a lot longer....and I can live with that!!
Life is just one long sequence of events!

Wow, sounds like you are caught in a 'sequence'. That is the name of a short story by Patrick McManus and I think it is my daughter's favorite. Of course, the items in the sequence are different, but we have all been there. In the story, of course, it is exaggerated for effect but still hilarious in its concept. I have 13 of the McManus books and read one of the stories to the family on occasion.

I Googled him and I really like the look of his books! I will check one out next trip to the library.
My husband said "you know that to do list? it's not a list, it's like a rolladex and just keeps going around without ever getting empty" that's about it all right.

Janet, our hunting group used to take several of the books to deer camp and we would read one or two stories at the campfire each night. It was always fun when there was a new face in camp because we would read some of the familiar stories and watch the reaction of the new guy. There are some of the stories that have special meaning to me for one reason or another. One of them is "The Theory and Application of Old Men." The story has its humorous side, but is also quite poignant in that a particular 'old man' had such an impact on the boyhood of the author.

My Dad used to tell stories to us kids all the time. He said he used to love seeing the expressions on our faces and our eyes getting as big as saucers, especially if it was a scarey one! lol.
I loved "All Creatures Great and Small" by James Herriott a non-fictional series of books about an Scottish Veterinary Surgeon's daily life set in rural Yorkshire England, in the 1930's. A wonderful series of books, that were both poignant and often hilarious. It was also made into a TV series as well.

Last edited:
We have the books and I saw quite a few of the TV programs. They were quite enjoyable.

Update on Buford. On Thanksgiving day he ate pretty good but on friday he started feeling bad and wouldn't eat anything. On saturday he was feeling worse. On sunday he was sick all day and so restless during the night. Monday morning when we got up his tongue was swelled so much he could hardly swallow. I called the Dr. and he said to bring him right in. He admitted him right into the hospital to get the swelling down and he was also dehydrated and very weak. On tuesday he was started on a liquid diet. The Dr. said he had to build his strength back up and get plenty of fluids in him before the surgery. On thursday they inserted a feeding tube and started him on osmolite on friday. They showed me how to use the syringes to flush the tube and feed him. I was at the hospital with him the whole time. My daughter-in-law packed me a bag of clothes and brought them to me. I was afraid to leave him alone to go eat and I couldn't eat anything in front of him anyway. I would get those cheese and crackers out of the machines and eat a couple outside his room. After sleeping in a chair for 5 nights I was really exhausted by the time we came home on saturday. I sat behind him on the way home and couldn't help but cry at how gaunt he look. He is still pretty weak. I hope he has enough strength to withstand the surgery on wednesday.

Maggie, I feel so sorry for you. I know that there is a reason for this but we won't know what the reason is. Of course I'll include you both in my prayers. Love you girl.

Maggie,
My deepest heartfelt thoughts are with you.
Please know you and Buford are in my prayers. I pray for your strength to stay strong for him and for peace for you.

The hardest thing I am dealing with is Tim's memory. Along with that is he now seems to say things I never thought I would here him say. You know we all keep ourselves in check. There are sometimes things your mind spits out that you know you would like to say but are best left unsaid?! Well it seems this part of Tim's brain is now not working. He says things that I just can't beleive he would say to people. Boy this trip is a hard one. so do I call him out on it , or just tell people he has lost his mind? even myself and our kids are not immune to his insensitvitey.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back