Giant Strawberries (questions)

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Markymark

So has anyone tried growing these Strawberries? I'm trying to decide if I want to grow them as I'm most interesting in the white type of strawberries as I've read birds tend to leave them alone as they don't ever "appear" to be ripe. But these are just so cool I was thinking they may be fun to grow.

DSCF1537C.jpg

Last edited:
That is one huge strawberry. I would be curious about the flavor though. Ofttimes the larger berries do not have the same intense flavor the smaller berries do. It would be fun to take a few of those monsters to the dinner table though and slice them up for the diners.

Interesting!
There isn't much info on them online that I can find!
More then probable they will require a steady supply of moisture and a regular fertilizing regime in order to produce such large berries!
As to no bird attacks.... once they turn red>>>>well I find birds love anything that is red and hope you do not mind sharing the berries with them unless you use a garden mesh ( floating screen cover) to protect them! That goes for gooseberries, red currents, mulberries, raspberries and blackberries.... and they even go after any flowers that are red! All this is from past experience!
So if you go ahead with these monster strawberries you will need to protect them!!
Just thought I'd share this with you Mark!

Yeah, I'm gonna probably build a PVC stand and throw some kind of screen over it to keep the birds out. I just wondered if anyone else had tried these types of strawberries. The people selling them say they have a great taste (but that's their job) so for 3$ I'll give them a try this season. Plus a nice strawberry pie or dipping them in chocolate just sounds great, plus I think the family will enjoy it.

Last edited:
And don't forget about the chipmunks!!! And the birds will do their dangest to get under the netting too. All this from last years experience with my poor blueberries. I may just sit out in a lawn chair and pick them all off with a pellet gun this year...they ate hundreds of dollars worth of berries from my bushes last year danged varmits!

Last year we had a bumper crop of red gooseberries and didn't get one of them to taste. This year i'm covering them with some netting! Darn startlings and robins left a few pieces here and there!

All of my berries were netted and had PVC on top of the netting around them...the chippers dug under the mulch and even ate the green ones. Needless to say I don't like chipmunks at all...and that is putting it mildly.

Chipmonks are one creature we don't have around here! We have the occasional black and grey squirrels but they only show up when the nut trees are dropping their load of nuts!

I can't even bring myself to think of them as cute anymore after last year. And there is nothing to do to keep them away other than destroy them. I tried human and cat hair, moth balls, motel sized bars of soap, netting, cayenne pepper, CGs hot pepper spray, everything except poisen, but didn't do that because I felt guilty, bought it then returned it. May go buy it again though. I don't mind sharing a few, but they took them all.

The only large berries I have seen like that were grown hydro. There is a U of F ag center that is growing hydro now and they have huge berries and last week I went by and they had tomatoes ripe on the vine outside! They do cover them for frost or freeze.
Let us know if you do try them out.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back