Interspecies Grafting?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

epiphyte

Has anyone every say, tried grafting a pepper on a tomato, or a tomato on a potato, or other varieties with success?

Curious, read this intro article the other day, and here's an article on pepper-tomato grafting.

Here's a "Pomato" tomato grafted to potato:

images19114551.jpg

Last edited:
Never considered anything like that myself. I have had some success with grafting apple trees. But that was one variety of apple onto another apple tree.

Hmm, I just tried a pepper to a tomato, it died :(

Maybe I didn't keep the environment humid enough, it said recommended 80% on wiki.

I saw an interesting tree this spring that had an apple, a pear, a peach and a cherry all together on one tree. I was wondering how they did that.

It would have to be grafted. I bought a cherry tree about 10 years ago that had four cherry varieties on it and two of the varieties died. The tree is still healthy, but I don't think I would ever buy one of those multi-variety trees again. I may still try adding an apple variety though on an existing tree. I have six apple trees all together though and it's not like I need any more apples.

grafting

I saw an interesting tree this spring that had an apple, a pear, a peach and a cherry all together on one tree. I was wondering how they did that.

Wondering how they did that? They didn't! Not by grafting anyway. Stone fruits like cherries and peaches won't graft to apples or pears. You CAN however, make an interesting plant by planting the non-compatible fruits closely together in the same large pot and twine or braid the trunks together. It won't live to maturity but it's a real conservation starter while it lives.

I have seen the pomato before but never tried one. I have also seen the fruit trees that grow peaches and plums and things like that. It would seem like a good idea for space challenged gardens.

Or for people that are growing for just 2 people. I thought that it was interesting for that very reason. I just couldn't figure out how they would graft a stone fruit to a seed fruit or vice versa. Somebody figured it out. Can't believe that I haven't googled that one yet.

I have seen of tomato/potato grafts for sale. I have also heard that they tend to be weak producers of both tubers and fruit relative to the non-grafted versions. With this I have heard that potato growers will graft potato uppers onto tomato root stocks to get a better yield of true potato seed for storage and preservation of rare types of potatoes.

I have seen 2 tomato plants of the same variety grafted about a foot above ground. This was to give the single top a more massive root system to grow a record-breaking tomato. I should get back to him to see how it did.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back