Kitchen herbs

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I constructed raised beds at the home I had before. I didn't do that here though as I have a nice open area that has sunshine all day (when we have sunshine at all). My garden spot is about 1700 square feet.

I have to say that you should plant the herbs that you like to cook with.
I have sage, parsley, oregano, tarragon, multiplier onions, garlic and all kinds of mint.
These are perennials here in zone 5 and love full sun.
I plant basil, thyme, rosemary and some others but they are annuals here

Thank you KYa this bed will be getting built as a community garden project so anyone can use the herbs.

For smell or to use .

oh how cool. I love community projects. I hope to use herbs in my lessons if I ever graduate.

Cilantro! my personal fav, basil and such. There are so many flavors of basil. And mints. Now mints will be invasive and possibly take over you bed.

I love that years ago someone told me to bury coffee cans in my garden to plant mints in... it keeps them under control.

The best way I have found to control mints is to cut them back and use them frequently. With the top being constantly pruned the plant won't over-stay it's welcome.

I plant my mint in a container as well. I keep them trimmed as they like to escape from there planter. Keep something under the pot to discourage roots coming out the bottom. Plant the herbs you use first and then branch out. Nothing better than your own basil and oregano and sage when cooking in the winter.

I have yet to be able to grow cilantro worth anything.

We can't get enough basil for our pesto use. Last year we did about a gallon of pesto.

Depending on your area look to sage too. Many people around here (midwest, southern border of Wisconsin) grow it as an ornamental with purple flowers in late spring.

I actually have one container that I use for herbs (not a raised bed) but it works really really well --and yea lol grow what you use I personally love mint so I allways have some --I didn't use as much as I would have liked to hopefully that will change this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh Mr. Yan,
Cilantro like very well amended soil and lots of nitrogen.I plant my cilantro in mushroom compost and mulch with oak leaves. Both cilantro and parsley seem to like the acid. Dispite what people think cilantro likes cooler temps. Planting very early spring & late in summer will yeild great crops of cilantro. You will find that it will even tolerate light freezes and rebound quickly. I allow mine to self seed and my entire yard and sourronding aresa have cilantro volunteering.

Basil is a little more sensetive to the cold and especially frost.

Cool weater crops have elluded me thus far. We tend to swing from hard frosts to hot very quickly. That and I wiat too long to start fall crops. It's all a learning process right?

Basil I can do. My plants had inch thick main stems last year and provided a few pounds of leafs.

I actually have one container that I use for herbs (not a raised bed) but it works really really well --and yea lol grow what you use I personally love mint so I allways have some --I didn't use as much as I would have liked to hopefully that will change this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Biyu! Herbs are such a great addition to the kitchen.

Cool weater crops have elluded me thus far. We tend to swing from hard frosts to hot very quickly. That and I wiat too long to start fall crops. It's all a learning process right?

Basil I can do. My plants had inch thick main stems last year and provided a few pounds of leafs.
Yes, you are right. Even after all these years of gardening I am still learning too ;)
If you mentioned it previously I have forgotten. What zone are you in? I know you are northern US but it eludes me.
It does take some long term observation of your area to know how those weather patterns run. Have you checked out the Old Farmer's Almanac web page. http://www.almanac.com/ you can find a planting guide by crop , specific to your zone.

My mom and step dad had some nice large containers on their deck for kitchen herbs. Three or four pots each about 24" diameter. One dedicated to basil, one for thyme and chives, one with rosemary and something else, and one with sage. Those four pots more than kept up with my mom's gourmet cooking habit, and started our family's pesto habit. That was in metro St Louis.

My garden is in the almost-upper Midwest. Northern Illinois specifically zone 5. The generally accepted safe date for tomato trans-planting is the second weekend in May (mothers day). I've only lived in this state for five years now and veg gardening beyond tomatoes for three years. I have noticed that we typically have a rogue frost in mid September, snow flakes in the air in mid October, and average first killing frost is listed as Oct 15.

It is spring here. I grow herbs in the bed by my deck and I have some in containers on the deck. I went out and trimmed back the oregano and rosemary this week. I am about to plant the basil for the year. I don't know if I want to put it in the garden or a container. I'm so glad spring is here. the trees are leafing out and the early flowers are blooming. I smelled good when I got through trimming yesterday.lol

Lyn,
Containers at our stage of life make more sense. I wish I had the money to let Tim build me the raised beds he did for ALL of our neighbors :rolleyes: but it is about $300 each and I just have (want) to plant too much stuff. My back would really like not bending over anymore.
Mr. Yan,
Sounds like you have the weather pegged pretty good. Have you checked out the newer short season seeds that are available? I keep seeing different ones advertised but can't really remember which one because they do not apply to me. But a little research might solve some of your issues.;)

On a different herb note garlic is great for a home garden. I just notced mine is pushing through the mulch from the winter. I brushed some mulch back and it is coming in strong. I need to get out and remove the mulch soon.

I find garlic gave a great return. Just plant it around first frost around here. Mulch heavy in early December. Remove the mulch in early spring. Harvest mid summer. The hard art was restraint in the kitchen and not cook my seed stock.

This year i think I'll use the garlic harvest to time when to start my broccoli and brussles sprouts for fall.

You're right crabbergirl I think that seed selection has been one of my problems.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back