Lawn Damaged By What?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

temple

Hi all,

First time posting. Thanks for viewing.

On 3 occasions in the past 10 days or so, the same small patch of my front lawn has been shredded. I've attached two images - one shows what it looks like before I clean it up, and the second is after.

The 3rd "attack" happened yesterday, during daylight hours.

Our gardener is insisting that it must be a raccoon or a skunk, but a neighbor that I chatted to yesterday said that he saw hordes of what he thought were blackbirds on the very same small patch.

We live in a residential area of San Jose. No other lawns have been touched - the area of damage is limited to an approx area of approx 5 ft x 3 ft.

My questions:
1.) Has anybody seen something like this before?
2.) Does a blackbird attack seem possible?
3.) Any thoughts on what to do?

Thks in advance.

Attachments

• garden before.JPG
    garden before.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 319
  • garden after.JPG
    garden after.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 312
I can't imagine blackbirds doing this damage but if there are bugs in the lawn then maybe. Have you seen any signs of insects?

After googling I see that birds can do this kind of damage, when they are looking for bugs or grubs

I know here that starlings and grackles will root through the lawn catching grubs as well as ants! But do not make that kind of damage.
Chinch bugs will eat the grass at the soil level leaving dead grass in large patches!
Perhaps you could take a sample of the soil to have it tested!

It could be skunks going after grubs, not sure how hot and dry your summer was, but if it was like here Grubs are going to be plentiful. I have seen damage in our yard and others yards in the past that looks similar to that.

If it happened in daytime I would suspect birds. But skunks and raccoons will tear up lawn looking for grubs. That usually occurs at night.

If it happened during the day, then birds but if it happens at night , skunks or armadillos.
By the way, Welcome to Gardenforums.com. Glad you found us.

Thanks for all the responses.

It happened again yesterday during the day, and blackbirds were again seen - so pretty sure it's their work.

Any suggestions on how best to deal with them?

There has to be something attracting them to the same area!
Dig up some of the soil and have a look to see it there are any grubs, or other insects in the soil.

You can do a couple things , which are not visually attractive. Place 4 poles ( they can be garden stakes, just something to support the string) , one on each corner of the area. I say this since they keep returning to the same place. Then run string in an X and also around the perimeter, only about 2 feet off the ground. You want it low to the ground so as to interfere with landing and taking off. Then tie pie pans or old cd's to the strings where they will swing in the wind and relflect the sun. If you have some of that shiny krinkel wrap for packages that's even better as it makes noise. The idea is to interupt them. They are skitish and any movement or noise close to them makes them fly. However, it could just drive them to a new spot in the lawn. The main thing for long term is to remove what they are there after. Not sure but I imagine it is grubs. Try any granulated product that your state allows for lawn grubs. You will find this will need to be applied a couple times throughout the year. Your gardener should be informed on what is availabe in your area. Some states have restrictions on certin pesticides. Treat the entire lawn or you will just run the insects to a new untreated location.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back