My banana project

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Thanks, Ron! :) That's def good advice. I've had to deal with a lot of issues at home just trying to be cool and I don't even care if my friends think I'm cool anymore! I don't think any of them know I'm a member of this forum but if any of them do - I hate doom and black metal bands! Period!
There! :D They can read that!
I like alternative rock, shoegaze, hardstyle, trance, and punk. And growing plants. And yeah, starting a plant business would def be totally cool! :) I've been doing a ton more reading about plants and my Wordpad plants file is getting huge! I studied pH some more today and I can't wait to get my new banana plants. I know what I did wrong last summer so I won't be making those mistakes again. :)

NOW! who takes care of the garden center while you're out gardening? CG could manage it, I guess (nothing like a volunteer from Florida in OK). I could weed. (not really) I will be the cashier ~ "Oh just take them and give a donation to the kids fund." People ask me the stupidest,"How much money did you make this year?" Well, I'm retired so what difference does it make? I was broke as a school teacher and I am still broke as a former school teacher. MTM always says,"WHAT GOES around, comes around." Now, to me, that's a lovely merry-go-round where the horses go up and down. Guess I have a slightly different view. :) Curbie

I watched a guy dig up a huge banana tree. :) I put my foot by the stem and it was wider than my shoe is long (I wear size 6)! He started digging almost 2 feet away from the stem and dug a trench around the tree. Then he dug almost 2 feet deep then he dug under it and let it fall over. It was so heavy, I couldn't even lift it. He was storing it for the winter and chopped off all but 3 of the leaves. That banana plant is still alive and looks awesome!

And thanks! :) My decision def wasn't worth it. Friends that only wanna have fun and don't care about other people aren't really friends. They don't even care that I got grounded. But hey, I like growing plants so that's what I need to be doing! :D

My back started hurting just reading this. I am not sure I am up to it. Maybe a backhoe! LOL! Well thanks for the info, I will take pictures as I go and let you know how it turns out. :)

Hey, you have such a knowledge already of plants and you enjoy it. If I were you I would tailor my education to Agriculture. In case you haven't realized it , produce is becoming a product that the US is beginning to realize they need to grow more of and import less of. Hydroponics is going to be the future of mass production of veggies. You can produce more with better quality indoors in a contraoled environment. Don't let your "friends" prevent you from you future;) Capitalize on what you enjoy.

Now CG makes a great point. I started in Physical therapy and then I thought,"Nope, I am a teacher." I went back to Pittsburgh and told my parents and Dad said,"You will be NO GOOD at that!" and Mom said,"YOU are a NATURAL for teaching!" I remember doing my final project for teaching ~ I did string painting and sponge painting. But the sponge painting was the outside to make a flower and the string was dragged on the inside. I had fun teaching for 30 years. I'd teach for 20 minutes and then we'd play for 20 minutes. Then we'd use protractors and then we'd play for 20 minutes. Mom was right ~ I was a natural. I hated parent conferences. Face 30 parents for supposedly 10 minutes. We had to write report cards and it was really funny when my teammate said,"I don't know what I'm supposed to write." BEN, WRITE THIS! "Your child is SO STUPID you should use him as a piece of wallpaper!" We would laugh so hard! "BEN! I'll GIVE YOU ANOTHER ONE to write! But you have to write it in French. "I ALWAYS ask your child to 'Ferme le BOUCHE' and he doesn't listen!" Ben and I laughed all the time. I can't believe people asked me to have their children. I think it had to do with the fact I gave out M&M's! I called them 'brainfood'!

Hey Crabbergirl! Get some help! Digging up a big banana tree is a ton of work. It took me almost an hour just to fill the hole up when he finished. And even the top of the plant was really heavy to lift. :) The backhoe is prolly a really good idea. I took some photos while he was digging. I'll find them and post them up. :)

And yeah, I def wanna be the one to decide what I'm gonna do and it'll prolly be working with plants. But I wanna raise shrimp and stuff too so I prolly needa move to the east coast.
But being in a band is def not a good idea. I wouldn't have time for my other hobbies. I don't even like the style of music they wanna play anyway, lol.

Hey Curbz! :D They're def awesome brain food! I can always think better when there's tons of candy around. :)

Last edited:
Oh I agree about digging banana trunks up, talk about hard work. Now I just slice them down to ground level and let them rot lol. It takes a while for them to break down but it saves me a lot of work! Nancie, I also agree about the back ache too, been there a few times.....

Josh,
You know you can always have more than one major. Think about Michael Jordan, he has played pro basketball, pro baseball and I think it might have been a stab at football? maybe, anyway , no one says you have to do one thing. Diversification is a wonderful tool. Always have a back up plan.
As far as raising shrimp, check out some aquaculture websites. You don't have to always be close to the coast. It makes it a bit easier but not necessary. When we commercially fished , we started out about 30 miles inland. I had an aquaculture system for producing soft-shell crabs. It is basically a giant aquarium. Takes a little science but it is very easy ;)

Yup guys, I might have waited a few decades too long to move the banana plant, but it really needs to be moved. I will have to really think about this :rolleyes:

Do you know anyone with a backhoe or bobcat Nancie? Maybe you can repay them with a yummy dinner from your garden?
My little dwarf ducasse banana has put out another leaf! Hope it doesn't go too crazy and try and fruit as it's the wrong time of year:rolleyes:

I have a neighbor who has a commercial farm tractor with several attachments. Not sure if he has an implement to "dig" with. I had high hopes of moving it this weekend but got side tracked. It would have been a good time to do it as it was rainy and cool.

Crabber hope you get to move it soon as it's only going to get warmer lol. If all else fails maybe you can grow some climbing beans up it..... :)
My little 'nana has hopefully stopped putting out leaves, at least it's grown large enough to withstand a frost in winter if we get one....

We skipped winter this year :) I need to get my nanas outside today as it's to be 78°. What's the coldest temp they can be outside? Curbie

Wombat, yup , I need to make this move pretty quick. UGH!

Curbs, Bananas do good down to 33* Mine have even done good with a brush of 32* but in pots I wouldn't chance it. As long as it is not freezing or they won't get frost on them , they will be ok outside.

Hey Curbz! :) If the temp is between 33*F and 50*F, make sure the ground is dry. Cool wet ground can = corm rot.

Curbz, Crabber and Trax are spot on with their advice.
My little 'nana tree is putting out another leaf, this is highly unusual for this time of year. Oh well must be a healthy little guy, hope it stops soon though lol.

Thanks everyone ~ can I water them yet? Can you save a corm & replant it? Do you let it dry out? Gosh, I still don't know what I'm talking about...SOMEbody is a doorknob....BananaMama :)

Curbs,
As far as I know you must keep the corm in the soil. Let the soil dry out between waterings in winter. Never over water or allow to remain in soggy soil.
With the weather you have been having ( warm and dry) you should be safe to give them a drink. But just a drink not a soaking, because as Trax says it can cause rot if it gets cold again. Are they inside? If so you should be fine to water. ;)

Gosh...I have a GREAT idea! Somebody needs to become a horticulturist and come move in! They must cook and clean though and take care of the banana plants. :) Curbz

YOU are a goofball, CG! Your pay is YOU get to use MTM's boat to crab and buy bananas! :) Now see, this doesn't make sense to me. People on The Bay started to catch crabs now. THEY are TINY NOW! You wiat until September and October. Am I incorrect? Curbz

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back