My banana project

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Right now things are so slow at work I had plenty of time to go through my pics and sort and store in folders. I found this pic from 2007. This was the last time it stayed warm enough to have bananas. Here's hoping this year will be a banana year ;)

Attachments

• my bananas.jpg
    my bananas.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 294
Awesome, CrabberGirl! :D I wish we had banana weather here. But it def gets way too cold in the winter, well, except last winter. But I will be trying out the Velutina banana plants since they're small and edible and have the shortest time till harvest. :)

Hope you have a great 'nana season Nancie! Curbz I'm sure your little guys will be just fine, 'nanas are surprisingly tough......although Trax and Nancie are right corm rot can be a real problem if they're over watered.

Great thread! I too love banana plant...well all things tropical. Fortunately I can grow many of these outdoors year round. I've just move a year ago and so am starting new again. Here's a picture of my banana corner.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339380223.592609.jpg
The tallest is an ice cream with about 4 pups barely visible in this pic. The one to the lest foreground is a dwarf cavendish and the right foreground is a transplanted red ilhoena.

Healthy looking banana patch SoCal, it'll be great to see them flower and fruit for you later on.

Thanks Wombat! This will be my first Ice Cream Banana. I'm really curious to how it will taste. I expect to get flowers on that tallest stalk within a month or two if I'm lucky!

WOW! AWESOME! I have a cavendish but it isn't nearly as nice as your tree. I honestly didn' know they flowered! Is it better for them to be in sun or shade? Curbie

So Cal,
Welcome! Now I am jealous! While south Fl has great banana weather, central Fl has so- so nana weather. Some years we do , some we don't :rolleyes: The tattered leaves are a sign of tropical weather. Down here all the trees look like that at some point. It won't hurt the plant unless the leaves get bent and broken, then just trim them off.

Thanks Crabbergirl, fortunately the long summers are at this location bring only breezes. The fall and winter brings heavy Santa Ana winds which mutilate the bananas. So while they live year round outdoors, they only look amazing half the year. It's worth it though even if my wife complains

BUMP!
Welcome to the forum SoCal! :) Lol! Every time I hear SoCal I think MM and Electric Daisy... hmmm... J/k. SoCal has gotta be the perfect place for bananas. I wish we lived there.

Okay guyz! I needa buy a new banana plant. My last one died last year. But I def wanna see MORE PICS (please) of yours! :D U 2 Curbz. :)
I'll post pics of mine when I get it.

Since our home was robbed, I have no camera so use your imagination. Mine is doing VERY well. I drag it inside and outside and back inside. It's about 3 foot tall and I named her Nana. Every plant deserves a name. You name your dog and your cat so plants deserve it also. This opinion was brought to you by Purina Cat Chow.( I have this cat who eats nothing but DOG chow. Must have been an orphan~Little Orphan Nutcase.) Curbz

Robbed?? :eek: Wth?? When did this happen? What did they take? Did they find them him/her whatever? That totally blows! :(

I'm really annoyed (and yes I'm on the wrong thread). My camera is my most prized possession. It was a Canon Is600 something. Not many things annoy me but you take my camera, you took a part of my ♥. But that's like watching grass grow. Thanks to one of my Hoodlums I have some names but the cops keep asking ME questions. After 6 weeks I am saying things like "WHY AREN'T YOU ASKING QUESTIONS TO THESE BOYS???" MTM's checkbook was stolen and all of my credit cards. There are charges out the wazoo on these credit cards. WHO REALLY can run up a tab at McDonalds on MINE for $434? I wish they had invited me since I was paying. MTM's has a Sprint account opened on it. We don't have Sprint. If it wasn't for ♫ & Stevie Wonder, I'd be losing my mind. We hide everything now. And I sleep with a baseball bat and there's one in the kitchen. The funny thing is, I wake up and ask,"Does anybody know where my car keys are? I put them somewhere." Yep, this is the life of a curbz :) I don't mind. Keeps me busy with police reports. Curbie

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back