My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Update on my veggie garden!
1/Picked my first zuc today!
2/Still waiting for the cucs to start forming
3/Tomato patch
4/Finally getting fruit ~ Brandywine Red
5/Purple Cherokee

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 268
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 242
6/Butternut squash patch!
7/Yellow Stingbean patch, White Onions at the top of pic.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 241
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 239
Omg! Awesome veggies, Ron! You're doing an epic job! I'm getting hungry... :D

Wow! :eek: I thought shrimp lived in water! I wanna shrimp plant too cause I love shrimp, especially shrimp cocktails! :D

Anyway, I finally got everything I needed to finish building my indoor garden! So I built it today! I took these pics of some of the plants in one part of my new indoor garden tonight. The other parts of the garden don't have any plants... yet. :)
The curtains are new and they haven't been steamed yet but I can get that done tomorrow. I transplanted hot and sweet peppers from the garden this morning. They were wilted and prolly woulda died. Tonight they look great! Only a few are still having probs. I also had to bring my Purple Heart plant in cause it keep dying too but it looks great now too! :)

5952931693_365172f856_z.jpg

Heat wave 2011 by Trax, on Flickr

5953486298_6a26d34e80_z.jpg

Heat wave 2011 by Trax, on Flickr

Last edited:
There's a couple of varieties of this plant and I grow the local version, canna edulis. Arrowroot is part of the canna lily family but this one has edible tubers that can be ground into flour or simply used like potato and made into fries or roasted etc.. It's also used to thicken sauces etc. that need to remain clear rather than use cornflour/starch which does the same job but clouds the sauce. My chickens also love the young shoots they'd gobble them all if I let them lol. It's also gluten free and low in calories. I have a couple of pics here:) The flower isn't as large as the normal canna but it's nice to have a bit of colour on display occasionally especially from a veggie You can see the edible rhizome poking out of the ground adjacent to the stalk.

Great veggie patch there Ron, everything looks wonderful! Trax your new garden is looking great you've obviously put a lot of work into it.

I

Attachments

• arrowroot flower.jpg
    arrowroot flower.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 239
  • arrowroot rhizome.jpg
    arrowroot rhizome.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 258
Hey Wombat,
Thanks and totally thanks for that info about Arrowroot! :) I found a site online called Bushfood Nursery in Queensland that sells them! I'll def be ordering some! :D
Canas survive our summers and I wanna see how those tubers taste! Yum!

No Houston is not far Curb. I am in the suburbs. It is just a hop skip and a jump in any direction I travel.

I would love to send you some cupcakes when this weather gets cooler. What flavor do you like, vanilla, chocolate, red velvet? lmk When is your birthday? I made a sweet potato pie last night for one of my little fans that went to church camp in Missouri. It is a surprise for him. He is 9 years old and loves my pie. I made 30 for a church sale and I had members and children coming back for more and calling the house. I was burned out.

Dor, a pie is hard to make b/c it is so time consuming ~ 30????. (Well, and I don't know how to make one :) ) It sounds like YOU are choosing the RIGHT profession ~ pastry chef..... If I buy a container of Oreos, I feel priviledged ! Mmmmm...red velvet:) My birthday is Dec. 27 which is why I was named a Carol. :) Hope you're little fan enjoys that pie! Everybody's pictures are great! I'm learning about arrowroot and pastry chefs! WOOHOO! (If anyone wants to know about laundry...washing dishes.. :) ) ~ Curbie

Well, Crabber, I can just see you operating the auxiliary motor and Curbie sitting in the back calling out, "Stroke, stroke, stroke."

LOL! Well if that's the case I may have my own "stroke" the old gizzard isn't as strong as it once was.
Somebody send out the Coasties 'cause the cruise may need some back up :eek: Sure you don't wanna come Randy?!? We could use a good engine man.

Thanks everyone. I will let you all know how it goes. We have The Art Institute of Houston that has a Culinary school Curbie and also Houston Community College has one as well. I am going to the Community College. I have 6 classes to complete my business degree then start on my Chef Degree. Those Pastry classes are so hard to get into. The fall classes have been been filled since the end of June.

Nancie, I lost my Shrimp plant. I will try to buy another one at the large plant sell in October. Thank you anyway for you help in trying to get me one. I love them.

Dor,
I will wait til fall and send you another one. ;) I should have some big ones by then.

Ron,
Looks great! My garden is suffering from the rain. Next it will be the return of the boiling heat when the rain stops. I see a nice green tomato there. Just perfect for frying ;)

Josh, Curbie and anyone else,
I sent out a few Shrimp plants earlier but they didn't make it. Maybe because I tried to send them cheap. Anyone who wants to pay postage for Priority Mail I will be happy to send some in the fall. If you don't want to pay for Priority, I will just send them.
Just let me know now so I can get them rooted for you ;)

I'd like one but I don't want to be rude. I could send postage. This is one of the dumbest ideas we've ever come up with. I sure hope Bob doesn't read this stuff. BOB! it's ALL under control ~ except we don't know what we're talking about. "STAY tuned ~ news at 11." well, it may be at 7:12. Do we get dummer as we age or is it just me? ~ Anonymous

I'd like one but I don't want to be rude. I could send postage. This is one of the dumbest ideas we've ever come up with. I sure hope Bob doesn't read this stuff. BOB! it's ALL under control ~ except we don't know what we're talking about. "STAY tuned ~ news at 11." well, it may be at 7:12. Do we get dummer as we age or is it just me? ~ Anonymous

I will send you one as soon as I get some rotted again and when it cools down a but. we can work out the other stuff later.

Omg! I googled Shrimp plant and they do look like shrimps, wow! I def want a Shrimp plant. I know how much USPS priority mail is for a banana plant so I'll def send enough to cover. Thanks tons! :)
Are you still living in the same house you were at last Thanksgiving? If you are, I'll just send it there. :)

No hurry either. Just let me know when you get some more rooted. Btw, is that the yellow shrimp plant or the one with red leaves? They both look awesome! :D

Last edited:
My tomato plants grew 10 inches since this morning!
The eggplants grew even higher with all this heat!
It could be the fert I gave them yesterday!
Gawd, I'm dieing for a fresh heirloom tomato out of the garden!!!
...and fried eggplant over noodles!

Hey Curbie,
Rotted?? Omg! :eek: I didn't read that right, lol!

Hey Ron,
Congrats! :D Eggplant's kinda scary but the tomatoes sound awesome!

Omg! I googled Shrimp plant and they do look like shrimps, wow! I def want a Shrimp plant. I know how much USPS priority mail is for a banana plant so I'll def send enough to cover. Thanks tons! :)
Are you still living in the same house you were at last Thanksgiving? If you are, I'll just send it there. :)

No hurry either. Just let me know when you get some more rooted. Btw, is that the yellow shrimp plant or the one with red leaves? They both look awesome! :D

Same place. It might be several weeks . Wanna make sure they are good and rooted and that they have good root balls. Also maybe it will cool down a bit. Wait till you receive it before sending $$. ;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back