My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

They all look really healthy Trax, they can be a little tricky to grow indoors too, well done mate!

Looks great Trax! What kind of lighting and soil do you use? Do you have to force flowering with peppers? Like have the lights on 12 hrs and then keep the plants dark for 12hrs? I know you have to with tomatoes, but I'm not sure about peppers. Oh, one more thing, do you have a fan blowing on them? That always helps keep them sturdy and would make a transition to outdoors less stressful on them... and it might even take away the need to q-tip pollenate. Keep up the great work!

Now seriously (OK, I'm being stupid again) I thought you blew the pollen off of one plant onto the other. Wouldn't the pollen get stuck to the Q-Tip? Now, I am going to say this and it hurts like crazy ~ Trax, YOU are one of the best plant growers. Randy, Ron, and Trax. The Usual DummyBunny :) ~ Curbster

(I'm rather upset with myself since I ate a whole container of raspberries.HOWEVER, I have blueberries for tomorrow! :) I wonder if fruit is bad for you? But they make jelly and jams out of it. Rat's ~ I don't know what I'n talking about again so I will be quiet.....) Curbz

Well, if you still feel okay today then they aren't bad for you. There is a side effect though. They will clean out your innards.

Nothing has happened to me SO far. I adore raspberries and blueberries. Thanks for the warning though. I must have a good digestive system ~ or one that just says,"oh no....here she goes again. Raspberries, bluebers and pickles OH MY!" I love pickles. I should leanr how to make relish. Can't be hard. I can use the brine out of the original jar, right? Curbz

Thanks guyz! :)
Sorry I've been away so long... way too much homework and stuff!

@ TheAnticlimactic. Thanks for the fan tip. I'll def try that. :) The only light my peppers got was from being in a east window. I used a q-tip to pollinate them but they don't get any wind.

@ Wombat. The worst problem was protecting them from spider mites. I put a bar of ivory soap in hot water and left it all night then added a tablespoon of canola oil. I put that in a spray bottle and I only had to spray them once. :)

@ Curbz. You like raspberry pop tarts too???? Awesome! :D I thought I was the only one. But you prolly shouldn't be eating a whole box of them. Next time mix it up with another flavor. :) Maybe the blueberry ones.
I wish I could help with the relish thing but I don't know how they make that yet.

I have made pickles but never pickle relish. Were I to make it, I would first of all consult mt Ball Blue Book of Canning and see what the recipe says. Would you like me to do that for you Miz Curbstone?

THAT would be GREAT! THANK YOU! WHOO HOO! I guess it takes sugar and vinegar and..... pickles with spices. Thank you for offering :) Madame Curbstone

Trax yeah spider mites can be a real pain, especially indoors. Good for you for getting rid of them.
I had a lot of small seedlings newly planted in the garden and nearly all of them were drowned by all the rain we've had. Now I have to sow them all over again, oh well c'est la vie I suppose......

Cucumber Relish

2 quarts chopped cucumbers (about 8 medium)
2 cups chopped sweet green peppers (about 4 small)
2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 4 small)
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
1 tablespoon turmeric
½ cup salt
4 quarts cold water, divided
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
1 quart vinegar
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 tablespoon mustard seed
2 teaspoons whole allspice
2 teaspoons whole cloves

Combine vegetables in a large bowl; sprinkle with turmeric. Dissolve salt in 2 quarts cold water and pour over vegetable; let stand 3 to 4 hours. Drain; cover vegetables with 2 quarts cold water and let stand 1 hour. Drain thoroughly. Combine sugar and vinegar in a large saucepot. Tie spices in a spicebag; add to sugar mixture. Bring to a boil; pour over vegetables. Cover; let stand 12 to 18 hours. Bring vegetables to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until hot throughout. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving ¼” headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

Hey Randy! :) Thanks! I just put that recipee in my online recipee book. :D

Trax yeah spider mites can be a real pain, especially indoors. Good for you for getting rid of them.
I had a lot of small seedlings newly planted in the garden and nearly all of them were drowned by all the rain we've had. Now I have to sow them all over again, oh well c'est la vie I suppose......

Yeah, I heard spider mites could be a real prob and I lost some pepper plants. Now I spray the plants before I see any and they don't get them. :)
Good luck with your new peppers! :D

Cucumber Relish

2 quarts chopped cucumbers (about 8 medium)
2 cups chopped sweet green peppers (about 4 small)
2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 4 small)
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
1 tablespoon turmeric
½ cup salt
4 quarts cold water, divided
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
1 quart vinegar
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 tablespoon mustard seed
2 teaspoons whole allspice
2 teaspoons whole cloves

Combine vegetables in a large bowl; sprinkle with turmeric. Dissolve salt in 2 quarts cold water and pour over vegetable; let stand 3 to 4 hours. Drain; cover vegetables with 2 quarts cold water and let stand 1 hour. Drain thoroughly. Combine sugar and vinegar in a large saucepot. Tie spices in a spicebag; add to sugar mixture. Bring to a boil; pour over vegetables. Cover; let stand 12 to 18 hours. Bring vegetables to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until hot throughout. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving ¼” headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

I like that Randy!

Do you have 7 cucumbers b/c I have one :) I don't have tumeric nor mustard seed nor vinegar nor allspice. OTHER then THAT , I'm READY!!!! LET'S make RELISH! ( Do they still sell it in the grocery store?:) ) Curbie

Yes, they do and that's how I get my relish. I don't use it often but I buy a large jar at CostCo and keep a small jar in the kitchen refrigerator. The large jar stays down in the basement refrigerator and when the small jar is close to getting empty, we refill it. Curbie, the vinegar is the stuff that keeps the relish from going bad. If you don't use vinegar, head for the market and buy a jar of relish.

Any fresh meat will spoil in time. The hot dogs are usually loaded with preservatives and will last longer than some of the fresher meats, but don't push it.

Hot dogs do no grow in the veggie garden :D just kidding. But really they don't.

My okra is popped up and a couple tomato seedlings. Gotta get busy. I have just 5 weeks before it is safe to set out plants.

I heard that hotdogs...depending on the brand name..is made from left over and not very fresh meat scraps! They deodorize the meat so it doesn't stink, and add flavoring to disguise the taste!! Which meat is always questionable and could be a combination of pork, chicken, beef and whatever they else they have laying around!

oh, like scraps off the floor! I have a question ~ I can't ask it b/c I am laughing so hard. I'll be quiet now. Curbie :)

I heard they found a hot dog in a landfill that was from the 60's and it was still intact. Imagine what that stuff does to your inards! LOL! I will have one with my gand-kids from time to time. They , dispite what they are made from, are kinda tasty! :p Especially if you roast them over a fire :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back