Storm Updates

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Ron, I think they should all be named Eek. Nicely played;)

John, We really do need the rain and now that she has been down graded I feel better. I just wish the water could be more effectively distributed. It seems to be piling up where it is not needed :rolleyes:

Lyn, Girl, you pay the postage and I will send her your way ;) She has over stayed her welcome.

When the weather gets iffy and the guessers are doing just that, Tim and I play "I Predict" So it goes like this;
I predict that Debby crosses Florida , stalls in the Atlantic and gains some energy, then turns and comes back to finish us off."
Tim predicts "She clears the state to the Atlantic but continues to skirt the coast going north"

OK weather buffs, anyone have their prediction they want to share?

Those things are notoriously difficult to predict, they wander around like lost sheep! Ummm here's my guess from the other side of the Pacific.....maybe she keeps going east and does a couple of turns either southeast or southwest...hopefully losing intensity the whole time , I think that guess of mine just about sums up they unpredictability of hurricanes and cyclones:rolleyes:

\

Lyn, Girl, you pay the postage and I will send her your way ;) She has over stayed her welcome.

When the weather gets iffy and the guessers are doing just that, Tim and I play "I Predict" So it goes like this;
I predict that Debby crosses Florida , stalls in the Atlantic and gains some energy, then turns and comes back to finish us off."
Tim predicts "She clears the state to the Atlantic but continues to skirt the coast going north"

OK weather buffs, anyone have their prediction they want to share?

I think I could could come up with postage.

It moves back into the gulf and heads for Texas.

2ft of rain in 24 hours is a hell of a lot of rain!
Hope you don't get wash way Nancie!
Been watching the news and it doesn't look good since the ground is saturated!
I'd say it will stall over the state for a bit and then move NE out into the Atlantic and gain strength and move up the seaboard heading NE.
Sounds like the probably course it will take!

TD Debby

In my yard we have had 19 3/4 " since Sunday at 8 p.m.
When I got home from work I dumped the rain gage and first thing this morning at 5 a.m. I emptied it again. At that time it was over flowing so we had a minimum of 5" in 12 hours!

this picture is mid low tide this morning at 6 a.m. High tide will be about noon today. Usually high tide is all the way at the furthest point you see trees in this picture. The water is at the foot of the steps for the deck I am standing on outside my dining room door.
It is not raining now, but we still have a 70% chance until this evening. Winds were at 28 mph when I left for work but it looks like they have laid down a bit.

Attachments

• Low Tide 062612 (800x532).jpg
    Low Tide 062612 (800x532).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 240
The weather guessers say she is going out to sea and not coming back.
We will see which one of us wins the title of "forecaster" for predicitons. ;)

Wow Nancie that looks like a shot of a bayou, rather than your yard! You've certainly had a lot of water to deal with, it's great they're predicting she's going away. As for the forecasting contest, I can't even predict the cyclones over here so I'm not holding out much hope......:rolleyes:

With the water running out of the swamp, it will be several days before our leves drop. Even low tide is still up at the back steps. My driveway is covered in 2 sections. I now have an island home!:p :D Who knew?
Yes Ron, the mosiquitos are humming their little hearts out. We tried to sit on the deck last night and it wasn't the bugs that ran us off but the frogs. I wish I know how to upload the recording from my phone. They were so loud we had to go inside. You couldn't carry on a conversation because you couldn't hear! I got my mag light out and started shining the water and there were 10's of thousands of frog eyes. It was so creepy. I just couldn't capture it on film. I tried.

At least the sun is out. This is low tide.

Attachments

• backyard (800x532).jpg
    backyard (800x532).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 268
If you would only share. Here we are all hot and dry. Not an extra drop of water anywhere. SHARE the next big storm.

Lyn,
How big a box would you like :D oh wait , hmmmm, how big a barrel?

Coast is clear!!!!!! Fishing this weekend

Is your house up on stilts?
Must be very humid with all that water around the house!
You should snap a few shots of the house for all of us to see.....please!
Never thought you would be living in a bayou!
The sounds of all those frogs must be fascinating to listen to!

No, our house is built on a stem wall. We were required to raise it 7 feet above sea level so we went 8. We didn't want to have to walk up a flight of stairs to get in the house. We knew we were aging and it might be an issues. Now I wish it was a stilt house.
We knew the potential for a 100 flood was real but thought going above and beyond code requirements would make us even better. As people down the river develop property and pay for mitigation rights to remove the wet lands , it severely effects those of us who follow the rules for environmental reasons.The wetlands as they are naturally, provide filters and drainage. When the are filled and removed the water has no where to go but to the lower undisturbed wetland areas, hence our yard and surrounding undeveloped land. We could have paid the state for the right to fill and raise our land, but that negates all the laws put in place to protect the environment.
Not sure why I didn't take any pictures of the front or back of the house. I just shot the high tide:rolleyes: the front yard has a swale in the front yard to drain water away from the house. When we get high water is fills up and makes it look as though the house is on an island. next time it fills up I will get a shot of my island home. This picture is from the side of the house, don't mind the scaffold set up, we are trying to get ready to paint. The tide was substantially lower, but still flood stage, this morning but if the water is high when I get home I will snap some better shots.

Attachments

• sideview (800x532).jpg
    sideview (800x532).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 244
first pic I lightned up a little. In the middle of the picture you see the big tree. In the next picture is a view looking back toward the house from the river. So you can see how much the water is above normal. About 200 feet above normal.
Tim is sittiing about 15 feet from the tree ( behind him)that is in the center of the first picture with all the water. The river is about 100 feet behind me taking the picture.

Here are a few links to view flooding in Florida from Debby

http://www.sfgate.com/nation/slideshow/Debby-floods-neighborhoods-in-northern-Fla-45172.php

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/25/us-usa-storm-debby-idUSBRE85O0QT20120625

Some very sobering pictures

Attachments

• Low Tide 062612 (800x532).jpg
    Low Tide 062612 (800x532).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 249
  • back of house (800x532).jpg
    back of house (800x532).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Thanks Nancie!
The photo of your house helps with my perspective of where you live!
That is a big house!
I'm amazed on the number of trees!

Thanks for the pics Nancie it really explains the water levels. I realise now why you call it your island home and why stilts would've been an option. The links were also very helpful in letting people know just how destructive a lot of rainfall can be. What you were saying about the development causing problems is happening here too, being environmentally sound in your principles and lifestyle certainly is very hard work at times. Albeit the problems are created by lax govt. regulations, also money talks, unfortunately. Good luck with your fishing!

I can see myself sitting out to try to take your whole property!
It is amazing you are only 7ft above sea level!
Lucky us, we are around 350ft above sea level, but our house is only 5ft above the average lake level of Lake Erie!
This year the lake level is lower then the previous 3 years and is expected to continue to drop due to high the high evaporation during the summer months and the lack of rainfall in the lakes catch basin! The lake requires 36" of rain anually in order to remain at a constant level....with global warming the lake level will continue to drop!
I don't mind the low lake level since it reduces the threat from gale force winds and surge damage!

Ron
Yes, there is swamp land for sale in Florida...LOL! I bought it. I love the trees.They kept us from sever storm damage in 2004. They serve as a wind break of sorts.I have a hard time understanding why people come out here and by this land, rip out all the trees and fill 4-5 feet of dirt in. Why don't they just by a pile of dirt to begin with.The house is really too big for just the 2 of us. It was our labor of love dream house. I just knew the kids were never leaving home so we built for a tribe:rolleyes: I have my sights set on a small cracker house on the inter-coastal waterway for our next house.
The actual bottom floor is 8' above sea level. If the global warming is anything like they are saying, it may become beach front property at some point. Now that's kind of scary.Funny how yours is dropping and ours is rising due to the same cause. 350' above sea level in Florida has to be the middle of the state where there are hills and even then not sure it would be that high LOL!
John,
Sometimes it really is an island home LOL! It makes it very hard to garden and or build. We Have an agency here in the US called the Department of Environmental Protection. They tell you what you can and cannot do on environmentally sensitive properties such as river front, ocean front or around natural springs and lakes. essentially about 90% of property in Florida is governed by them. There is a plan for mitigation where you can buy land and give to the state for the right to "interfere" with sensitive land, seems there are loop holes for everything. Personally , I purchased this land because of it's diverse Eco systems and couldn't see changing it to suit me. If I wanted something different , then I would have bought something different. Thankfully, Tim embraced this land also. We may complain about the high water, and the bugs but I wouldn't ever want to change it ;)

No tropical weather on the current outlook.

Yeah we have those "agencies" here too, for what good they are! My state has the Great Barrier Reef off the coast and it's starting to become a real problem keeping it safe from coastal development. As one of the environmental groups commented there's no point having all this development going on if you kill off the very thing the resorts were constructed to be near in the first place. Oh I agree with what you said about your land, it's a great spot and I can see why you bought it!

Last edited:
Funny how we humans see something we like...and then procede to kill it!

No tropical forecast! Keeping my fingers crossed

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back