Storm Updates

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

The severe weather from the mid west and south of here may hand up enveloping us tomorrow with severe thunderstorms and possible torrential downpours! I'll wait and see! Usually when systems like the ones that devastated the the US kind of pitter out by the time they get up here due to the moderating effects of the Great Lakes.
I'll be moving a lot of my cacti and succulent seedlings undercover just in case...hate to lose them after all the work I put into growing them from seed! Most of them are large enough now to withstand a good downpour and I have a gravel mulch over the soil to help reduce rain and hail damage.

Ron I certainly hope that storm does not do to you guys what it did to the east coast. Those poor people are without power and it is so hot!
At least you have a heads up it could be bad. glad you are preparing and taking care of the little plants. I know you have really done a lot to get them going.
Stay safe!

It wasn't too bad with these t-cells! The winds die as they approach and dump their rain at a nice steady pace. The ground has time to soak it up until the next cell!
Everything is getting a good much needed soaking.
Tomorrow will be a bit more intense with higher temps and higher humidity which will create conditons for more intense thunderstorm activity!
I can already see a difference in the grass...it's perking up and greening up!

Take care with all the t/storms Ron! Hopefully your grass won't grow too quickly for you.
Nancie good to see the storms are staying away, you've have enough rain to last you a year!

We always keep an eye on these storm cells, and have an unobstructed view and can see them coming for miles and plan accordingly....I rarely have anything outside that could be blown away with the gale force winds. Summer storms here on the lake can be unpredictable as to force and intensity, but are usually windless when they arrive, if they are carrying a lot of moisture the rain pounds the lake surface flat and all you hear is the sound of the rain.
It is an odd year, so far, with most of the systems coming in from the west instead of the SW.

I love being a waterfront resident , because as you say Ron, you can see it coming. However we face east and a lot of our weather comes from the west. We have a 50/50 shot of seeing it before it hits. We will have T-storms late today due to the increase in temps and humidity. They skirted around us yesterday hitting just north and dropping about 3 inches of rain.
John,
You are right we have had an entire year's worth of rain already. The bad thing is if it totally stops raining , in about a month we will be back to drought conditions. How crazy is that?!?!

Ron that's pretty handy being able to see them comming at least it gives you time to prepare if you know they're going to to hit you.
Nancie, pretty crazy indeed. I just hope we don't get another weird Summer here and hopefully what the US and Canada has experienced, isn't indicative of things to come for me......

we were to have severe thunderstorms and hail....????? in july...??? thankfully it didnt happen......with all the fruit on the trees, esp apples which this area is known for it would of been a disaster.....

John,
The climatologists are pretty much in agreement that the weird and wild weather we've been experiencing is a taste of what to expect, and match the projected models for grobal warming.
Here on the lake we seem to be in a dead zone with none of the usual summer storms coming in out of the SW. The lake has been too calm and still, since the weather systems have moved further north. It'll be interesting to see what the rest of July and August will bring!

Below is the latest update on a tropical system trying to grow in the Atlantic. Local forecast stated within the next 36-48 hrs there will be a clear indication if it will become a named storm. The next name is "Ernesto".
Here's hoping Ernesto is a no show!

ATLANTIC

- The disturbance in the tropical Atlantic has passed the "Will it still be maintaining its convection, organization, and spin in the morning?" test. Last evening, a sliver of an ASCAT satellite pass caught the system and was suggestive of a surface circulation and thus this being a tropical cyclone, though not totally conclusively so. In any event, unlike was the case with the wave currently moving across the Caribbean islands when it was in the Atlantic, the potential exists for further development of this system as it heads toward the Lesser Antilles, where it is on track to arrive on Friday with heavy rain and gusty winds; exactly how much wind will depend on the nature and strength of the system at that point. Then it'll move across the eastern and central Caribbean this weekend.

- Satellite loops indicate that a spinning vortex (a mesoscale convective vortex, or MCV) developed last night just WSW of Puerto Rico with the tropical wave moving across the northern Caribbean islands. However, it is up in the middle part of the atmosphere, not at the surface, and convection overall with the wave has, at least temporarily, diminished; and thus rainfall has become more sporadic, though there could yet be some heavy downpours from this wave in Hispaniola, Cuba, and the Bahamas.

TD #5-To be Ernesto

Tropical Depression 5 forms; Typhoon Saola hits Taiwan; 115° in Oklahoma

By Dr. Jeff Masters
Published: 10:22 PM GMT on August 01, 2012
Tropical Storm Watches are flying for much of the Lesser Antilles, as the islands await the arrival of Tropical Depression Five, which formed at 5 pm EDT today. The new depression is still fairly ragged looking, as seen on visible satellite loops. Heavy thunderstorm activity is only on the south side of the center, due to higher wind shear on the northern side of the storm. Wind shear over TD 5 is at the moderate level, 10 - 15 knots. TD 5 has one respectable low-level spiral band on its south side, but additional spiral bands are beginning to appear, and the areal coverage of the storm's heavy thunderstorms has increased markedly in the late afternoon hours. Water vapor satellite loops show that TD 5 has a reasonably moist environment. Ocean temperatures are 28°C, (82°F) which is about 0.5°C above average for this time of year. The first Air Force hurricane hunter aircraft will investigate TD 5 Thursday afternoon to give us a better idea of its strength.

Figure 1. Afternoon satellite image of TD 5.

Forecast for TD 5
TD 5's west-northwest motion should bring its outer rain bands to Barbados early Friday morning, and high winds and heavy rain will spread over the rest of the Windward Islands by Friday afternoon. Since wind shear will be higher on the storm's north side, I expect the heaviest weather will be on the south side of TD 5, over the Windward Islands. Wind shear is expected to remain moderate, 10 - 15 knots, through Friday, ocean temperatures will remain near 28°C, and mid-level moisture will be a moderate 60 - 70%, according to the 2 pm EDT run of the SHIPS model. This should allow TD to become Tropical Storm Ernesto by Thursday. NHC is giving a 27% chance that TD 5 will become a hurricane by Friday afternoon, when it will be passing through the islands. The reliable computer models are not in good agreement on the future intensity of TD 5. A band of high wind shear of 20 - 40 knots associated with an upper level low lies to the north of TD 5, and our most reliable model, the ECMWF, predicts that this shear will extend down into the islands on Friday and Saturday, and tear TD 5 apart. However, the almost equally reliable GFS model predicts that this band of wind shear will remain north of TD 5, and the storm will have clear sailing for the next five days, with only moderate shear of 10 - 15 knots affecting it. At this point, we'll have to wait and see how future model runs handle the shear forecast.

Tropical Stomr Ernesto

Tropical Storm Ernesto is expected to make its way through the Caribbean Sea over the next few days, possibly arriving in the Gulf of Mexico by the middle of next week as a hurricane.

It’s too early, however, to predict exactly where the storm will go.
“It’s so far out that it really is anybody’s guess,” said Don Harrigan, meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Tallahassee. “But some of the computer models keep it in the southern part of the Gulf,” potentially impacting Texas or Mexico.
Ernesto was moving quickly to the west near 22 mph Thursday and packing top sustained winds near 50 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami. It was expected to move overnight near the Windward Islands and continue heading west away from land before reaching the western Caribbean perhaps Tuesday.
Ernesto, the season’s fifth named storm, is expected to reach hurricane strength perhaps by Monday afternoon, the Hurricane Center said.
“It looks like an upper-level low will move out of the Gulf, and high pressure will build in, and that’s favorable for strengthening of tropical systems,” Harrigan said.
Ernesto formed as hurricane season is approaching its most active period, roughly from mid-August through September. So far this season, two tropical storms, Beryl and Debby, have made landfall in the U.S., with both hitting North Florida. That’s a change from last season, when 19 tropical storms formed but only one hurricane, Irene, made landfall in the U.S.
“Last year, there were many fronts that basically intercepted these hurricanes or tropical storms in the mid-Atlantic, and they would turn them north and they would ride up the frontal boundary,” said Peter Ray, professor of meteorology at Florida State University. “And this year, it’s my belief that those fronts are not as strong this far south and that the high pressure is centered farther west. And therefore, the storms are more likely to be able to reach the mainland.”
Ray doesn’t expect Ernesto to become a problem for Florida, saying it appears more likely at this point that it will head toward Texas or the Yucatan Peninsula or points farther south.

Nancie you've certainly had more that your fair share of storms this year. Let's hope, if there's any more they stay well away from the mainland. I realise from reading your post that they're predicting the opposite but they do tend to wander around a bit....

Since we lost our satellite at home I haven't been able to keep up with it over the weekend. Last I heard was Mexico or Texas. Think I'll go check it out on line.

We really don't need any heavy storms at all. But on the up side I just paid the flood insurance :D or :( depending on if you look at my bank account or not

looks like it will hit the yucan or Belize this time aand stay well south of Texas. Oh well

Ernesto & Atlantic,Pacific

ERNESTO
- During its entire life from its formative stages through now, Ernesto has been ebbing and flowing from day to day between being healthier and struggling. Today, Ernesto is healthy and has been successful in its attempt to become a hurricane before moving onshore tonight.

- Landfall -- defined as where the center of circulation crosses the coast -- is expected to be in Mexico just north of the border with Belize. The storm is not small in size, and effects will extend well away from its center.

- Ernesto will weaken as it crosses the Yucatan Peninsula, though not as much as if it were a tiny storm, and its core will probably eke out back over the water of the Bay of Campeche, but will then soon move back inland again as the storm continues on a westerly track. Thus it won't have as much opportunity to restrengthen as if it were moving northwest well out into the open water of the southwest Gulf.

- It is not a threat to the United States.

EASTERN ATLANTIC

- A strong, well-organized tropical wave is over Africa and will emerge over the Atlantic in a couple days, and has the potential to develop into a tropical cyclone.

- To the west of that, convection is concentrated and has flared up with a wave/low a few hundred miles west of the African coast. Forecast models aren't gung-ho on this one, though it's August and we're heading into the peak of the hurricane season, and a system such as this ought to be watched closely until such time that it fizzles.

- Despite being amidst dry air, Florence's remnant has sprouted a bit of convection, indicating some resiliency. The odds are still stacked against much of a comeback though.

TROPICAL LOW IN SOUTHEAST U.S.
- The tropical wave which might very well have become a tropical cyclone if it hadn't moved onto land still has spin evident on radar, and still centered close to Dothan, Alabama. It has not only continued bringing locally heavy rain, it caused serious flash flooding in Enterprise, Alabama (which was hit hard by a tornado five years ago).

WESTERN PACIFIC
- Typhoon Haikui, the latest in a series of storms to hit China, is slowly moving toward the coast.

- Tropical Storm Thirteen is far out at sea.

CENTRAL PACIFIC
- A large non-tropical low pressure system is brushing the northwest Hawaiian islands with clouds and showers. Farther west, closer to the center of the system, are gale force winds, but there isn't currently any sign of transformation to a tropical cyclone.

EASTERN PACIFIC
- The system well offshore of Mexico has developed into Tropical Storm Gilma. It is not a threat to land.

Sorry Texas will not get the much needed rain, but so very glad it will also not bring destruction ;)

Yeah we don't need a hurricane this summer. Galveston is coming back to life and they can sure use a good summer of tourist. Our coast is great and I have to get back down there one of these days but first I have to finish school.

If only.. I have a schedule coming up the next two weeks that would make anyone cry. I did get the final for geology moved up to tue and then on wed I only have student teach to worry about.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back