Storm Updates

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Around 2:30 today, I texted her to see what was happening down there. She said it was windy and raining down there. More like a tropical storm

A prepatory warning was issued for my area for probably late Monday into Tuesday!
They are telling us to keep informed as the data comes in with concern for the system coming in from the west.
So far we can expect strong gale force winds out of the northeast. That is good news because the lake will not be an issue for us (keeping our fingers crossed), as the winds will blow the lake levels to the southwest!
Since most of the trees have lost all their leaves, falling trees will not be much of an issue so hopefully we wont lose power!

Looks like new Jersey will get hit hard!
My second oldest sister is in New Jersey until mid December so will keep in contact with her as things develop! She's a 10 minute walk to the ocean and is in an area prone to flooding!

they are talking 10 inches of rain around here, with 80 mph winds.......power outages.....our leaves are still mostly on the trees, and the ground is super wet....not a good scenerio......our trees will go down......lots of flooding too......on tv this morning, the people that got hit by irene, are moving their furniture into the attic.....they are planning on moving up there if their houses flood......hope they remember flashlights, saws and axes, as they will be trapped and not able to break thru their rooves if need be......

My sister called from Ocean Grove New Jersey this afternoon to let us know that they will be evacuating their area to higher ground....the group she is with will be staying in a planned building!
My mom was becoming more concerned with the track the storm it will take and was so releived that she called to tell us of their emergancy plan!
Hopefully there will be a place for them to return to afterwards!

We are being warned to expect 80+ gale force winds by late Tuesday into Weds!!!
They are saying two low pressure systems will merge with Sandy to create a super storm!
They are not sure what the outcome will be because there is no precident for such a giant super storm!
We are preparing ourselves for the worst and hoping for the best!
We will have a better idea of what to expect later on this weekend as new data come available!
All we can do now is wait!!

so glad your sister is moving to safer grounds Ron.......mother nature is nothing to fool around with.....I cannot believe you will be getting 80 mph winds like we will.....shows you what a monster of a storm this is going to be.

The effects will be felt all the way up here...The storm will be that huge.....
They already issued a Storm Watch and will upgrade it as more information and data come available in the coming days!
We are pretty flat around here so the winds have very little to slow it down!!!
I noticed that they do not know yet how far inland the storm will eventually go before it moves northeast!

they are telling us to stay tuned to local media......get lots of food, store lots of water, batteries, candles, blankets......in case power goes out......if you are feeling this storm up where you are Ron, it sure is a monster storm......

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/tracker#
We have faired really well. She stayed far enough off shore that we have gotten minimal rain but lots of high winds. Last night it howled all night and today has been very damp and windy. Should be clearing tomorrow. Our new dirt has held well but the tide is in the front yard. :rolleyes: More dirt in order!

Heed all warnings and watches
You guys stay safe and stay in touch. will worry about you until Sandy is gone

We are watching closely Woodie!
Living on the lake has it's disadvantage.....all that wide open space!
We're used to it because we get windstorms at certain times of the year and with November coming we do get nervous if the winds come in out o fthe SW! Fall is our windy season and we've seen some devastating windstorms over the years!!!
We are praying that the winds continue coming out of the NE and the forecast looks good for the next 3 to 4 days.....after that?
We do have plans to go to my sister's if things get bad here!!!

Update: There is a strong low pressure system out west that is presently moving along the jet stream and will more them likely arrive around the same time Sandy makes landfall! There is also a high pressure system sitting just below Greenland with a low pressure system just below it! This is preventing weather systems from taking the usual NErly path out into the Atlantic!
So, it looks like Sandy and the merged low pressure system will be taking its time moving......

Hey Nancie!
So glad you got off lightly!
Thanks for the update link.....our area down to around 40mph....that's good news depending on wind direction!!! But I will still wait and see as things develop over the next couple of days!

we are all holding our breaths here.......in the mtns you never know what will happen but I think many trees will go down and take power lines with them.....leaving us no power.....the ground is already saturated.......if the phones hold up......I will be able to get onto my computer.....something good to say for dialup.....

Same here Woodie!
The outer fringe/bands of clouds of Sandy are already showing up here on radar!
Winds have been slowly picking up all day! And are still out of the NE.
Temp is now hovering around 39F!
All we can do is wait and see what happens!

My sister called from Ocean Grove, New Jersey to let us know they were told to evacuate. They were just finished packing their van to leave when she called, They are going to the village of Newton which is at a higher elevation away from the ocean!

glad she got out of town, you can never take chances with mother nature.....

curbie must be getting this storm now.....I hope she checks in soon......we have no forum people in VA or NJ......so after curbie, Im next.....Ill be going into work at noon.....but Ill be back when I get home at 5 if Im able to....

My laptop broke so no pc at home, will try to do updates from my phone or will call woodie or nancie to give updates.. schools out this am here

I know Ron it stinks but a friend posted on my FB status that I can use my new tv as it's wi-fi.....

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back