Storm Updates

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I sure hope they are wrong about that new storm.......also some clown on the radio said there will be a gas shortage, and now there are long lines at the gas station with some stations running out of gas........

So many people scoffed at the warnings of this storm, although not as bad as Katrina and Andrew. I saw post on line with people cheering the storm on and those people live in the NE. I wonder how they feel now?
The thing about storms like this is, that there is no sure prediction.Warning are posted to let you know there is a great potential for disaster. Some people amaze me at the ignorance of the word "warning".

Janet,
I think the gas shortages will come due to several factors, 1. many stations without power and unable to pump gas. 2. those that have power may be unable to get deliveries due to road conditions 3 panic buying can cause the perception of a shortage.
Hording is a major theme in a disaster time. I saw it with Andrew in the 90's when he wiped out the bottom portion of Florida. Funny they don't talk about that anymore.

Ron,
Please let us know when you hear from your sister. Praying all is well with her home.

oh Ron, I hope you hear from her soon.....there must be power in northern NJ by now...
there is a gas run upstate here........they cannot pump the gas out of the tanks in NJ for the trucks to deliver.....people are coming all the way upstate to get their tanks and the smaller tanks for generators since they cannot get gas down there yet, so many of our gas stations are out of gas now.....had to go to three places before I could find gas.....luckily I can walk to work if needbe and save my full tank for food shopping...and other things....and they are still talking about a noreaster coming this way later on next week....

My daughter and wife said there were long lines at the service stations here too. I can't account for that. I need to get gas tomorrow, but I can get by if I have to.

I sent he an email asking her to let us know how things are going and she finally sent a response!
Here part of her email
Hi! I am fine. We moved from Newton to Sparkhill New York. The generator died in Newton and it was too cold to stay. We drove 2 hours to Sparkhill, New York to the Dominican motherhouse. They got there power back yesterday
So we are warm and cozy.We had no idea what was going on because we had no TV and only scattered cel service. Four of us drove back to Ocean Grove to get food and the patients meds. ing No damage to the two buildings other than some siding off. I walked down to the beach and the sand doons were completely gone and there were 10 foot sand hills made by the bull dozers cleaner the road. Half of the peer is gone where the fishing cabin was. They were very lucky in The Ocean Grove.
The board walk was all heaved up and bent out of shape. The concrete benches were tossed all over and broken like twigs as were the heavy planters. So the beach is gone.

It's good news that she's alright....now we can relax!

More good news!
Got a quick note from my sister saying that they are moving back to New Jersey today!

oh great Ron-she lucked out with that one.........I sure hope that noreaster doesnt hug the coast too much and doesnt do even more damage.......heck wish it would go out to sea and leave us alone...

The weather Cahnnel has begun naming winter storms like they name hurricanes.
Athena is the storm now hitting New England with snow after Hurricane Sandy.
Brutus is the next winter storm on the list.

All clear and cold here in the south

Ron
Glad your sister is ok

Thanks Nancie!
The homes that they use are protected because there is a large hotel along the beach front. They are tucked in behind this and were protected from the worst of Sandy.
The hotel is a mess!

Athena! That was our Jerri from GardenGuides, the one that just passed away a few weeks ago.

Yes, you are right Randy. That is so sad. She was so young.

amazing we worked our way through the alphabet and now have started with the winter names. Amazing the weather has become so active

From what I've learned we are in a climate change so the weather is going to be very wild till things settle down again. The earth has these ever so often. I wish we knew what the other side of it will look like. It is wilder now because of all the carbon based gases in our atmosphere.

that was on the news lynn........sort of scarey.......Ive never seen weather as crazy as we are having and as destructive......some people in long island still dont have power.....and the worse hit places were told to find somewhere else to live until springtime......its such a mess........I cannot believe they are naming winter strorms now......thats incredible.....

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back