The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

My former father-in-law had a CB. I know he had a 'handle' but I always got the giggles b/c it seemed kind of 'hokey' for a civilian to have a CB. It was in the car "Breaker..." I thought the "BootLegger' was related to MF LOL! ~ Curbie

LOL! Yep, that was part of her past or at least her grandfather's past. It was long before she arrived on the scene. I never met her maternal grandfather but I did meet her paternal grandfather. Both grandfathers came from the same section of the Austria-Hungary Empire and left to immigrate to the U.S. before World War 1. Had they remained much longer, most likely there would never have been a Marcia Fay.

I'm SO excited! I got a bow and arrow set! Guess what it shoots...never mind, I'll tell you. It shoots marshmallows ~ no kidding. I saw it on Regis and Kelly and I had a neighobrhood kid put it together and he said,"oh......miss carol...now you're armed and dangerous. i feel really bad for mr. mike. oh, never mind :)" Then he said the cutest thing,"You know, we must look like 2 old people trying to put together a bicycle." Uh, he's 14. Hey, I had a great conversation with someone who said they didn't want to talk but it sure was wonderful ~ it was a ♥smile. If I had to get another job, it would be providing ♥smiles :) and singing 'Yellow Submarine" or shoot marshamallows towards them. I cannot WAIT to try this bow out on Mike ~ poor Mike :) In my opinion, folks give their hearts and their help and an open ear to listen to others. ~ Curbie :)

Ms Curbie, be careful with that bow and marshmellow arrow....aim careful..that is. I bet your hubby will hide that thing real soon! LOL
RJ still has a CB. Most of the deer hunters around here would have a CB in their vehicles when they hunted with dogs. They were used to keep in contact with other hunters letting them know which way the hunt was going, etc. The dog hunting has been out lawed in most places and the Cbs are no longer needed. I would think that the long distance truckers would still have them. I had an ex that drove trucks and a CB was a nessessity to a trucker..I suppose that cell phones may have replaced those now but back then most of the truckers on the road kept communication going between them as they traveled or just passed on the road. I'll ask my sister in law about this, she's still driving an 18 wheeler.

I'm sure they still have them as I see the antennas. But those radios help keep those truckers from getting bored out of their skulls (and sleepy). The trend across the country now is to forbid the use of cell phones while driving. It would be a great disservice if they ever extend that to the use of radios. Of course, you can't text on a radio and they stay on a single channel while driving. Besides being able to communicate with other drivers on the raod, they have done a world of good.

Wow ~ your sister-in-law is a trucker. I figured truckers still had them but I don't know too many others who do. I never thought about using them hunting. Do you know why they outlawed dog hunting? Cell phones....hm....for emergency use only, not in the car, not in the grocery store where I get to hear ALL about your business...... ~ Curbie

I have to tell you something ~ I named the piano 'Grace' b/c it is simply Amazing I ended up with this piano. Now, I truly don't like that song but it has come to be appreciated after Randy's explanation of the slaves and I forget the slaver's name. So this morning, up on the DogPatch, Ernie asked if I had learned chopsticks. I told him I had pecked out 'Amazing Grace'. Now, I didn't know this : Ernie said,"You know you have to play it all on the black keys in honor of the slaves. I flew past Mike in the kitchen and said, " I HAVE to TRY this!" I'll be darned, you certainly can ~ black keys only. 7:30 and already learned something! WOOHOO! ~ Curbie ♫ ♪ ♫

Oh, and the marshamllow bow isn't working quite as well as I thought. The marshmallows keep getting stuck in the tube. Mike said I need to keep the tube clean.......one more thing to clean. :) ~ Curbie

The author of that song was John Newton. He wrote the words and according to some, the melody was actually from the slaves themselves. Years ago I used to record a program that came on the radio daily (Stories of Great Christians) and put the edited story without commercials onto cassette tapes and circulate those among people who were shut-ins. John Newton's story was one among many and it was so easy to hate the guy in his early life. But he expresses very well the change that occurred in his latter years by the words in that song.

Thanks to some, I truly have a totally new respect for that song. I can play it on the white keys AND the black keys. I have no ♪ ♫ so I just keep hunting and pecking. It sure is fun. Thanks again, Randy. ~ Curbie

I know where middle C is on the piano. As long as the composition only contains middle C, I can probably play it. BTW, you are quite welcome.

Since the piano was moved it is so out of tune, middle C is somewhere in the middle of D and E. John Newton would be proud of me b/c the black keys work quite well! ~ Curbie

Apparently the pegs are more stable on the black keys. We had a house guest here for a few days and I found out after she left that she is a piano teacher and also plays a flute. She is one of Fiona's friends and hails from Illinois.

Eventually, I will get this paino tuned but it is so much fun to play OUT of tune b/c I don't know what I'm doing b/c I have no ♫ so I'll say to MTM, "Want to hear this?" In 2 weeks, he has learned to respond,"No thank you. But you HAVE to stop playing at 4AM." but that's when the birds start to chirp so...." CAN YOU play to the birds?" kind of:p But I can play while I'm at the computer.....one hand on the computer and one hand on the keyboard ~ I'm REALLY very talented! He doesn't buy into it anymore b/c I burned the garlic bread. ~ Curbie

Attachments

• EM.jpg
    EM.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 322
  • piano 006 (2)  EM.jpg
    piano 006 (2) EM.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
I would like to be able to play the piano, but I know that I am not willing to set aside the practice time each day to actually accomplish the act. I really should pick up my trumpet and practice that.

Well, I am not going to practice! And since I don't have any music to read off of, I just tinker around to whatever song is on the CD or in my head. Mike's nephew has written symphonies and here I am at his piano, playing with one hand! He would LOVE to see that, I'm sure LOL! ~ Curbie

You say that, Miss Curbie, with tongue in cheek. It may please him greatly that you are sitting at the keyboard enjoying it.

We went to the house that is going to be sold (my sister-in-laws, which is why we have the piano) and I said to Mike,"There's nothing to do here any more b/c.......the piano is at our house..." His suggestion was,"HEY! They haven't packed up the TinkerToys!" So, I played with TinkerToys......and ate ice cream. I tried to play Parchese by myself but it is really hard alone. I never knew whose turn it is, mine or ....mine! I needed GPS for THAT!~ I'm thinking of writing book ~ "How to Confuse an Old Lady" ~ "I don't WANT to play with TinkerToys, I want to play with Lincoln Logs!" If I went into a toy store, I would come out SO broke ~ dominoes, etc. Mike was busy sprucing up the boat and I was in spinning Parchese pieces. Did you ever spin Jacks? I was ordered to get in the car :) ~ Curbie

I have spun jacks, but it has been a few years ago. I watched my sisters and their friends playing jacks and I didn't fully appreciate the manual dexterity it took until I tried it myself. It didn't take but just a couple of attempts at it for me to give it up as a lost cause. I never had Lincoln Logs whe I was a kid, but I had both Tinker Toys and an Erector Set. The Tinker Toys didn't really grab my total attention like the Erector Set did. When we moved to California from Texas in 1948, I had to leave it behind.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back