The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

John I was gone for a few days last week and it took awhile to catch up again. We are pretty wordy critters around here.

Yes Randy so I see lol........
Dale I use compost and well rotted fowl manure, plus I spray the leaves fortnightly with a seaweed solution........or if I run out of some of the aforementioned I just use rose fertiliser as it contains just about everything the tree needs:)

It was busy today around here. When I got home from church, I started on a jam session. I had set out two cartons of frozen Marionberries to start thawing and made jam from them when I got home. Ari (granddaughter) isn't aware of it yet though. My wife asked me what kind I was making and since Ari was in the room I told her I was making gooseberry jam. Ari is the one that discovered we were out of the Marionberry jam. My wife said she had never tasted gooseberry jam. I haven't either, as far as that goes. I picked up the container though and showed her the lable. It was labeled "Marionberries". Then she accused me of lying to her. I got 22 jars of jam out of the berries. About half of them are pints and the other half are 12 ounce jars.

Good Morning Everyone!!
What a beautiul day...sun is shining, birds are a singing their songs. I just enjoy so very much and forever grateful.
I am doing a lil project for an auction today......squirrel feeders, and oven rack pusher/pullers....
Life is wonderful... I have been enjoying it so much...
I have been spending quite a lot of time with my little sis lately...she will be off and moving on again shortly...think her next stop is Loretta Lynns Dude Ranch til around July 4th... [Shineys' Birthday] Don't believe I would wanna live on the road in a RV... I love home too much...
I seen most of my kiddos and grands over the weekend... They are growing up so quickly. They are all such a great joy to my heart.
Here are a few pics... A few of the grandbabies and a few garden pics.
Hope you all have a wonderful week.

Peggy

Attachments

• EVYE.jpg
    EVYE.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 266
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 277
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 253
I'm with you, PL. I don't mind travelling as long as I can get home to bed each night. I love my home and I feel like I am on a perpetual vacation. I don't like it when the weather turns cold, but what are you going to do? If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Love the pics your new camera takes, prettylady...you have excellent subjects!!! I could be a ramblin' woman for a bit...but I need roots.
Jam sounds tasty, Randy. Have no idea what a marionberry is, though.

Marionberry is a particular blackberry. There are many varieties and that one is probably the most popular and with good cause. It grows large and has a very nice tartness that people like, including me. My rotten grandkids can taste the difference if I try and foist any other kind of jam onto them. When we ran out of Marionberry jam though, they were willing at that point to eat jam made from wild blackberries. I have made blackberry jam from wild blackberries, Boysenberries, Obsidian Blackberries, Marionberries, and Siskiyou Blackberries. And the grandkids can pick out the Marionberry from all of them.

The Marionberry is quite delicious that ya sent Randy... I opened it one Sunday morning that the kids came out for breakfast... It went quickly. I made two batches of strawberry jam out of my patch and froze several quarts. My thornless blackberry is loaded this year..I love wild blackberry jam and cobbler...Yum Yum! My veggie garden is looking good also.. I be very proud... Yup Randy luv home...and it is like being on vacation every day of the year.
Thank Ya Shine I am quite impressed with my camera...
Here are several more grand children playing in the pool and the next photo is of my granddaughters dressed up for prom this year... sure luv the grandschildren.:D

Peggy

Attachments

• 138.jpg
    138.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 269
  • 4492_114880834740_557369740_2791302_1634713_n.jpg
    4492_114880834740_557369740_2791302_1634713_n.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 243
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 242
. And the grandkids can pick out the Marionberry from all of them.

And why would they not be able to pick it out? The marionberry jam you sent me a couple of years ago is the best jam I ever had. Every time I go into a Gourmet shop I search the Jam shelves for a Marionberry Jam, my seach has been fruitless (hahaha) so far. Randy if you were still in your working years I would tell you to quit your job and open up a little Marionberry Jam factory, you would be a very rich man in no time.

Peggy, with so much beauty in your life, who would not feel blessed? :) stunning garden and grands!! I feel like you and Randy, so much good stuff here at home! I really have to get some pictures up too!!
When we were in a little diner in Huntington Beach for breakfast, they had little packets of marionberry jam...I got all excited and decided right then I was taking all they had on the table!! it was good, but not near as good as Randy's!!! you are right Sharon, he could make a fortune selling that jam!! next time we go through Oregon, I'll have to try and get a plant. Course I may end up in jail trying to get it across the border..... have to think about whether it's really worth it! lol...

:eek:OMG an International smuggler in our mist. maybe you can make a deal with the Border gaurd to have him plant it on the US side close enough to the border so that you can drive down to the border and pick them every summer--- :rolleyes:

I did mail a some Marionberry plants early this year to a couple of people, but they were both stateside. I will be doing some more propagating this year as I want to plant an additional row of Marionberries in the rebuilt berry patch. Sharon, it is time I sent you a refill too and I will need to be sure my address for you is current. Strawberries are in season right now and I may do another jamming session this coming Sunday afternoon.

Jules tried to mail me garlic (she is in Canada and I'm States) all wrapped up and somebody in Canada had better be enjoying my garlic bulbs. Smiley, put it in your purse wrapped up like a birthday present ~ attach a balloon. ~ Curbie

I think seeds are about the only thing you can send over the border. No plants, veggies, fruits, etc.
Ron has sent me some seeds in the past.
Too bad about your garlic. Was it something that you can't get in the states?

I honestly hadn't looked for it here and Jules piped up that she'd send me some. We can share swine flu but not plants. MG, do you have lupine? I loved that in Maine but I cannot get it to grow here. Monhegan Island had TONS of it ~

I sure do have lupines Curbie
Pink, Purple, Maroon and used to have some white and yellow but they died on me

Lupines are elegant and come in SUCH a variety of colors. If you plant many colors, do they remain the original colors or 'bleed' into a neutral color? ~

Checkin in to Let ya'll know that I am alive and well.....:D

Sorry that I have been MIA for a lil while....well ok...a Long WHILE! :eek:
How's the BlueGrass Family doing?

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back