The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Hi there, good lookin'. Been missing you. Natalie fled the country, but she may come back. LOL I'm enjopying summer here now that it has finally come. Happens every year abiut this time, you know.

Good to see ya, Rhonda!! Hope all is well in your part of the world.

Hope all is well wherever in the world Natalie is, too. Guess it's still India...I missed that post about how long she'd be gone.

My job consumes me. I swore I'd never let that happen. We lost one person in our section and they are not replacing him. It is a poor decision because we were already too busy. Instead of 4 - 10 hour days I will now probably work 5-6 who-knows-how many hour days. I'm not pleased. They ask me to be patient, things will get better....I will do that for a while.

Sorry...just venting. Things will be fine because they have to be:eek:

Going outside for some green therapy...have a good day, e-friends.

Shiney
Sorry that they are changing your hrs on you after you just got used to working 10hrs days. I got promoted and it goes into effect on the 15th, got a 5.2% increase and my review is due on the 22nd so hoping to get another 2-3% but not sure as the company is not making the money like they used to so not sure how the raises are going to be this yr. They asked me to work today and I said no weekends anymore as summer is too short here and it's been raining so much that i have a bunch of yard work to do.
Off to my 7 yr old nephews ball game this am then will come home and have a bonfire of brush, etc and work in the yard for the rest of the day, might be getting more rain tomorrow. Leaving on Thurs afterwork to go to camp until Mon as my cousins are coming up from Fl, they will get here on Wed. Hope everyone has a great weekend

Last edited:
SK, that reminds me of a little story I heard a long time ago about a fellow that was moaning and complaining aboy life in general. But his friend told him to cheer up because things could be worse. He admitted that the friend was right, so he cheered up and sure enough, things did get worse.

Glad you got the better position, mainey. You deserve it.

Thanks Shiney. Taking a break from outside work as it's hot out in the sun and
where I'm not suppose to be in the sun so will do somethings inside then go back out about 5 or so when it cools off a little and the sun is not so bad

Just got an email from my cousin, guess he is heading to maine and she is staying in nc with her family. they drop her mom off there on the way up, they got in a big fight.. i probably won't be going to camp this weekend if she is not going to be there. he said he was in pa tonight.
worked out side until 9 when it started raining again. decided to take the bricks out from around a couple of gardens on my lawn and put mulch around them so it's easier to mow. put some newspapers down around the gardens then put some mulch around them. Filled the trailer up with mulch tonight and covered the tractor and mulch with a tarp. Thought it was just showers but the news is saying 1-2" by mid morning. We got 2" on Fri, we've had so much rain that my veggie garden is rotting. I just realized that I wanted to make the gardens round when I put the mulch around them but totally forgot about doing it until now. Oh well it's too late now, they will stay square, I made the first one with the frame of my water bed then decided to do bricks around it so made another one with the bed frame then bricked it, have a third one done and now need to plant it. I put the fabric on it today.Still need to put the mulch around that one. I have plenty to do in the yard as I haven't been able to do much the last few yrs so will be busy working in the yard fri-mon instead of camp. the gardens are overgrown and full of weeds, working on the small ones first. . they need some attention. got to mulch around the trees too as it's all grown up around the trees where i didnt' keep up with them the last few yrs
darn rain ruined my plans, we've had so much rain that I can't get nothing done outside. Did get my brush pile burned today. it's still smoldering. got to put it out before i go to bed

Last edited:
Hi there, good lookin'. Been missing you. Natalie fled the country, but she may come back. LOL I'm enjopying summer here now that it has finally come. Happens every year abiut this time, you know.

LOL Howdy! {{{Hugs}}} to ya and MF!
yea the sun has shown here...but the rain is begining to get on my nevers...lol
lol I think I read on here somewhere that she was going out of the country...has anyone herd from her?:confused:

Good to see ya, Rhonda!! Hope all is well in your part of the world.

Hope all is well wherever in the world Natalie is, too. Guess it's still India...I missed that post about how long she'd be gone.

My job consumes me. I swore I'd never let that happen. We lost one person in our section and they are not replacing him. It is a poor decision because we were already too busy. Instead of 4 - 10 hour days I will now probably work 5-6 who-knows-how many hour days. I'm not pleased. They ask me to be patient, things will get better....I will do that for a while.

Sorry...just venting. Things will be fine because they have to be:eek:

Going outside for some green therapy...have a good day, e-friends.

Things are good here...No complaints so far...well I could But i aint gonna...lol
oooh i have new pic's of my kids and the grandson....I'll try to add some in the album soon....

Howdy to all that I missed....Peggy got a glimps of your Yard....and I was like OMG! Lol!
your yard always look's so peaceful and relaxing....

I had a good day around the place here today. I got to work in the garden and it wasn't too warm. I weeded all five rows of corn and thinned them out a bit. I moved some berry plants in the berry patch too. It's not the best time of year to do that, but if they do survive the move, it will save me about a year of waiting for cuttings to root and transplant.

Here in the Bluegrass State it is its' typical hot humid self...have had rain every day for weeks...more than several times a day...I can't even walk in my garden....when I attempted yesterday I went past ankle deep in mud... I need to weed and till the garden really badly but what the hey... can hardly wait for fresh veggies...
Hey Rhonda good to see ya, thanks on compliment and you're welcome any time...
I've been really busy with grandchildren, working in the shop some nights rather late to build wants for several folks, spending time with lil sis, setting tobacco on family farm, baked for several different funerals...went to a few birthday parties.
Shine hang in there on those long hours & do take care of yourself...
I am taking a day or two this next week and drive to Loretta Lynns place...luv it there in Tenn.
Peggy

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 305
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 273
PL, what is "setting tobacco"? My guess is that you are setting out plants. I was only in Kentucky once and I think I remember seeing tobacco in some fields. I also saw some strange looking barns that I suspected were for drying tobacco. The barns resembled what we have out here for hay storage. They are essentially just a roof on large poles with open sides.

Randy we have grown tobacco on the farm for all my life... The acerage is set a lot lower than it used to be. We have a contract with Phillip Morris tobacco company that we grow for.
We used to start a hot bed to start the seed in but now a neighbor starts all the plants in his green house in trays and we just place the trays on the tobacco setter and pull the plants out as we are ready to set... The tobacco setter we used this year is a two man setter. tho much of the time this year I set by myself as my brother drove the tractor...
We have two acres of burley tobacco....
I will find old pics... I didn't take pics this year.
As the tobacco is small we plow the fields .....then there is suckering. and topping...then it is cut sometime close to September and spiked usually putting 5-6 tobacco plants on a tobacco stick then we lean two sticks together to stand up... We then haul it to the tobacco barn to cure...when it comes in order we strip the leaves off the plant to make hands...we place those hands in a what looks like a box and then it is baled....looks similar to a bale of straw but different also...then we used to haul it to the tobacco floor but they have all been shut down...now we haul it to Phillip Morris to market...
It is sold by poundage... Lots of work but I love working on the farm...
Blows my mind hearing kids today say they are bored...I have never known that work...always something to do... I am forever grateful for the work ethic my father taught me on that farm... Special memories...

I agree, PL. My Dad was a great example too. It took me some years to fully comprehend what sacrifices he made for the family. Back during the 'great depression', he worked a full-time job and two part-time jobs to help provide for us and to send money back to Oklahoma to his mother there. There were many other things that came to light after I was an adult. He never said anything about it, but others in the family would say things once in awhile so we would know what he had done. I have heard of fathers and even mothers that abandoned their families, but my Dad was on the extreme on the other end of the spectrum.

Loyalty often seems to be a lost art. I have been blessed with having my daughter at age 6 know that every weekend we traveled to Pittsburgh from about DC b/c her grandmother/my Mom was so sick and we had to 'support' my Dad. My daughter (31 now) has never forgotten that so when I said,"My sister is dieing in Myrtle Beach so I have to go take care of her" nobody flinched. It took THAT experience to get my husband to understand loyalty. For that 6 months, he got a crash course in it. Now, my 92 y/o Dad went into the hospital in Dec, who went with me at 9 PM? My daughter. I stayed for 4 months, moved him, and now he is perfectly settled into where he is now living. When I got home, my daughter said,"Mom, how do you do this?" Ask for help. Tell 'them' when you don't know what they're talking about, and ask for guidance. If you LISTEN very very hard.....someone somewhere will guide you. I'm pleased she has learned this ~ I admire farmers. I don't know how 'they' survive Mother Nature. And 'Bored' was not allowed in our house b/c my Mom woudl find you something VERY crummy to do. :) ~ Curb

My husband was born and raised on the farm. I truly have a respect for the life that farmers have had to endure over the years. His family also grew tobacco here in SC but they grew cigarette tobacco and it's harvested differently than the burley tobacco.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back