The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I used to have a couple of maccaroons when I would give blood, but they quit offering those and apparently now any goodies have to be packaged individually. I usually head for one of those little boxes of raisins now though.

I totally understand Randy...I like them a lot but haven't eaten any sweet stuff but I do eat lots of fruit at least three or four times a day... I di eat raisins, prunes quite often.
Peggy

I have a stash of several things. I have some dried apricots, prunes, dried apples, dried pears, and dried plums. The first two I bought from the store, but the rest I dried myself. I have some little bags prepared so I can just grab one or two when I think I will be away for awhile. The bags contain one ounce of the dried fruit and one ounce of almonds or peanuts. That gives me a carb shot with a protein buffer so I can keep a pretty good blood/glucose balance.

Ain't it funny how everybody rushes out in shorts in the spring as soon as it gets to 50 or so....but let it get to 70 in the summer and we put sweatpants on???!!!

I remember as a kid trying to get my mother to explain to me why 50* in the winter was so warm and 50* in the summer was so cold. I don't think she was able to explain it well enough for me to be satisfied with the answer.LOL

Randy sometimes I make trail mix with a little dried fruit and m&m's as an afternoon pick me up. I make my own so I don't have salted nuts. I like the dried fruit and nuts as a good boost.

I do like it too, Lyn. Buying dried fruit is pretty expensive, but I buy a little bit. The prunes I have in the refrigerator have lasted me for over a year. Obviously I don't have them often. But I have several bags of fruit that I have dreied from our trees. I dried some cherries one year and they were really good. But do you think the grandkids would ever try them? Not a chance.

Swindy, I could explaing that about 50 degrees, but it may make you even more confused. But moisture control (relative humidity) is very important for creature comfort. I'll give you a single example and see if it makes sense to you. 80 degrees is a moderate summertime temperature. If you have an 80 degree day with 90% relative humidity, it seems oppressive. That's because the air already contains almost as much mopisture as it can so your body cannot evaporate the moisture from your skin. Evaporation from your skin is nature's way of keeping you cool. If you have the same 80 degree day with 20% relative humidity, natural evaporation from your skin can occur easily and it seems so much cooler although the temperature is the same. Now, look at a home that is kept at 68 degrees in the winter. If the humidity is about 20%, the moisture from your skin will easily evaporate causing you to feel chilled. So you will compensate by putting on a sweater to slow down the rate of evaporation. But if a humidifier is installed and the humidity is about 50%, it is much more pleasant, because the rate of evaporation is subdued. In days of old, people would put a pot of water on the stove and heat it up to add moisture to the air. That did the same thing as the humidifiers do today only not as effectively. Forced air systems that are poorly designed may be drafty and move a lot of air. That's like having a breeze inside your home. Reduce air velocity by using larger ductwork and it is more comfortable.

Helllo Bluegrassers from here in the BlueGrass State this am...
Very nice working weather this past week and this week with low in the mid 60s and highs in the low 80s... Have been seperating bananas and transplanting a bunch.. Had three of my granddaughters here over the weekend..they are pretty good lil garden helpers...I surely do appreciate and enjoy them immensley...

Shiney I am loving seeing all the pics of the "Cabingirls" on facebook... So kewl seeing the pics..

Hope you all have a wonderful, productive week...

Randy I don't get into all the protein/carb stuff...just know nuts and fruit are good for me... I use almonds and cashews in stir fries often...as far as eating nuts i eat what i collect in the winter and have cracked and stored, hickory nuts, english walnuts, black walnuts, pecans, I love em all...
Peg

I do too. I have to count carbs all the time, but it gets to be quite natural. I feel so much better since I have known about the diabetes though and controlled the intake much better. I got a gift in the mail this last year from Libby, who was on GG. Bless her heart, she sent me at least 5 pounds of unshelled pecans. Man, those things are good. I'm glad my wife doesn't care for them unless they are in a pie. LOL I do make an occasional pecan pie though. I only make about two or three a year though. I make more cobblers than anything else.

yeah randy counting carbs is always fun. I forget to count them when eating fruit from the mixed fruit. the grapes and kiwi I think are the ones I have to watch. but the cantalope and strawberries and pineapple I get to eat more of.of course sometimes I eat a little too much. I get to eat quite a bit of watermelon so we have that often too,

Other than the squirrels, I may be the only person who hides my almonds and walnuts. When my husband asks, "Do we have any......." ...no...don't go downstairs :) (They're UPSTAIRS and the basement is a mess so he could spend days down there). What we women do ~

That's funny! I have a bag of almonds hidden behind a manilla envelope here on my desk. I think it had three pounds of almonds in it. But I bought it along with another bag and gave the other one to MF. She had her bag gone in a couple of weeks. I have about a third of the bag left and I am sure it will last another two or three weeks. So I go through about a pound a month. I used to hide the nuts in my closet, but once she knew I had them there they would be gone in a week. So it's not just you gals that play squirrel.

Don't think I have any desire to count any carbs tho I can understand having too where disease is concerned... I feel so very grateful that my health is good...
I have been measuring, figuring, planning, blueprinting a porch out our bedroom door and a deck to attach to go around the hot tub.
Making a list of supplies for lumber and such...Cliff got a super great deal on it...it's used and been inside... A friend of his bought this house and they don't want it...works great, very pretty blue swirl tub, sits 6.. We can't wait to get it in place. We have been talking about doing this forever...
Peggy

What are you doing in your spare time, PrettyLady? Sounds like a great! Hot tub out the bedroom door. So, you're building a porch but got the hot tub from the friend, am I right? ~ C.

We have one on the back porch and I got in it once. That was about ten years ago. But I think it needs seat belts. Either that or I should locate some of my old scuba diving weights to lay across my lap. The water jets in that thing kept trying to circulate me.

Nothing like 'improved circulation', our friend. OMG , I am ROLLING about this visual ! Put a brick in your pocket. I am going to die with laughter ~ :p:p:p

LOL Randy....

Curbhopper right... What is spare time...very lil of that here....always involved in something...
Right now that tub is on the back of the trailer sitting in the driveway, plugged in and hooked up...I love it...we had us a driver last night and cliff and i put the generator on the trailer... He says baby lets go hottubin...I thought he was joking at first.....LOL he wasn't joking we went riding around in the hottub just a bubblin away...that was definitely a first for me...we had a blast.
Peggy

Wow! Nice visuals!
Randy swirling like he's about to go down the drain,LOL, and pretty lady cruising in a hot tub! Proving once again that growing older is mandatory but growing up,optional. Thanks for the chuckle:)

I sure can't top PL's story. What a blast. I never would have thought of sightseeing from a hot tub. I can just hear someone telling PL she is crazy and her responding, "And what is your point?"

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back