The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Can you put hosta in? oh, may die in the drought.....calla lilies? Cactus? My iris have truly sprung up as well as mums ~ IN the SNOW. 'They' clearly have their own 'flight plan'. :) Curbie (oh, can we buy seeds on here?)

Curby, the cactus froze but sometimes they come on back from the ground. I've never had much luck with calla lilies. I have lantanas, dewberries, paperwhites seem to grow rain or shine, lost the hostas I had a couple of years ago, ginger plants will probably come back out, climatis, double hibiscus, several different iris's, firecracker plant, butterfly plants, vining bleeding hearts, cannas, bananas, jade, aloe vera, kolanche, moses in a boat, alligator plants, citronella and ohhhhhhhhh I don't know what all. I will know the middle of March what all got frozen off. The year it snowed a foot here on Christmas, everything I had came back with passion, so chances are Mother Nature is wise enough to not let tender shoots up yet. The amerillys is alive and well as are other odd lilies I have around the place. Most of what I have is native to this part of the country and usually comes back, unless I loved something that I knew wasn't going to make it through a freeze. I'm watching my orchid tree like a hawk because I've never seen it freeze back the way it did this year........yet.......it might surprise me. I guess time will tell.

the only calla lilies I had/have from year to year are the huge old fashion white ones...all the new hybr...ones always die each year fro me..

I didn't know orchids came on trees. And I didn't know bleeding hearts came as a vine. Mine aren't. Sounds like most of what you have planted are related to cactus. I cannot grow a lantana and they are so colorful. Now see Fleur, you are way north so I would think lilies would not grow there. Curbie :)

Attachments

• clem 002 (2)  EM.jpg
    clem 002 (2) EM.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 247
  • rose and lily 001 (2)cropped ang EM.jpg
    rose and lily 001 (2)cropped ang EM.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 230
  • EM.jpg
    EM.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 234
  • OC and backyard 019 (2)EM.jpg
    OC and backyard 019 (2)EM.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 234
That's the same color climatis I have Curby. And I've got a package of seeds for the red bleeding heart you show in your picture but didn't want to waste them last year when it was so dry. My bleeding heart vine has a tiny rose colored bleeding heart and have no idea how long they have been here......the grow from a corm and may have a different name but my mother called them bleeding heart. Honey suckle grows wild here and is invasive near a fence so we try not to let it grow:eek:) If you google Bauhina you will see the most profuse orchid on earth. The tree in my yard is about 20 ft high and has hundreds of orchids and sometimes blooms twice a year. I hope hope hope I did not lose it. It is the talk of the town!!!

Debe, I have had calla lilies but the elephant ear is more hardy and puts out a similar flower.... I lost a lot of my pictures on my old computer but I'll see if I can scrounge up some photos of some of my flowers.

Just a few of my flowers

Attachments

• Big roseresz.jpg
    Big roseresz.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 250
  • climantis.jpg
    climantis.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 263
  • Flowers 41008 002.jpg
    Flowers 41008 002.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 244
  • bauhina32808.jpg
    bauhina32808.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 237
  • elephantearoct07.jpg
    elephantearoct07.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 245
Marie, my neighbor gave me a red bleeding heart vine and I bought a rare white one at a plant sale. I just love them. I have them both in the garage but I so hope them come back. Oh yeah and Maggie rooted one for me. I look forward to everything budding out.

Hi there ... remember me?? I heard it through the grape vine that a certain Mr. Randy was asking about me so I thought I'd pay a visit. Lots of changes going on in my life at the moment and I don't even know where to start ... where did I leave off? I didn't have much of a garden last summer but hope to get back into the full swing of things this year. I have my catalogs stacked up on my pillow so that I can have sweet dreams of my garden to come! I hope everyone is doing well ... I still love all of my "family" from this thread even though I rarely check in. I've become a Facebook junkie so if you want to keep in touch with me you can find me there under Natalie Henderson. Send me a friend request!

well dear curbie ...when we were in Sacramento I had lantana's and they grew and bloomed all year round...had a fence that I put in along the yard and had them on it..lavender color...I do so miss them...but they only last one season here and then have to buy again ...way to much money for this poor gal...

I have some elephant ear's now Marie that I got from Barb...they didn't do much last year ...I sure hope they do better this year...to be honest it has been very depressing starting all over sence we bought this place a little over a year ago...I look at pictures of my old place and the beauty and then look around here and ask who's ugle yard is this...LOL

Nice to see you Natalie...good to have you stop by...I will have to find you on FB...

Good morning, Miss Natalie, it is good to hear from you. I get on Facebook once in awhile, but I allow just so much computer time and Facebook is what is sacrificed if I get too wordy with e-mail and forum. We are doing pretty well here. I am working on a fun project when the weather allows. I would like to finish it before the garden season starts. I am building a new utility trailer for the church we go to. I brought the old one home to repair, but the more I took apart, the worse it looked. By the time I took the wooden deck out of it and exposed the steel parts underneath, I realized it was just an accident waiting to happen. The main supports were eaten about halfway through with rust and it was only a matter of time when it would have crumbled under a load. The new one I am building is being built from an engineered plan and will be twice as strong at least. I'll see if I can dig up a photo.

The first photo is of the old trailer frame. I removed the axle because it was bent and unable to be fixed except by replacement. The next photos show the heavy rusting that compromised the strength of the trailer and the last one, is the beginning of the new trailer.

Attachments

• DSC_1097a.JPG
    DSC_1097a.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC_1099a.JPG
    DSC_1099a.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC_1106a.JPG
    DSC_1106a.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC_1135a.JPG
    DSC_1135a.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 246
Hi there ... remember me?? I heard it through the grape vine that a certain Mr. Randy was asking about me so I thought I'd pay a visit. Lots of changes going on in my life at the moment and I don't even know where to start ... where did I leave off? I didn't have much of a garden last summer but hope to get back into the full swing of things this year. I have my catalogs stacked up on my pillow so that I can have sweet dreams of my garden to come! I hope everyone is doing well ... I still love all of my "family" from this thread even though I rarely check in. I've become a Facebook junkie so if you want to keep in touch with me you can find me there under Natalie Henderson. Send me a friend request!

Natloo, I googled your name on facebook and all I see there look like school kids. Are you that young? Will search other friends to see if I can find you on any of the gardeners friends list......sure miss yakking with ya. I'm Marie Krause if you see me first:eek:)

Dorothy, I'm happy to hear someone else has a bleeding heart vine.......I've been told a million times that bleeding hearts don't vine and have searched in seed catalogs and on the internet and haven't found a picture to post to show what I'm talking about. I haven't ever seen the white ones but this rose colored one winds it's way up into the crape myrtles and orchid tree and makes a lovely showing every year.They bloom profusely but they are a bit hard to control since the corms branch all over under the earth around the beds.

A pretty yard takes a long time to establish and a lot of attention once it does look great.....and I have an idea you'll get that place up to snuff before long.......takes a long time to make a naked piece of property look like something:eek:) You'll get it there, even though you had to leave your beautiful yard behind.

Debe, lantanas are a native of Mexico, so I hear, so have a better heat tolerance than freeze. Mne seem to bloom in almost any season too, according to whether we have a mild or harsh winter. This year really did a number on most of my natives but many times in the past they made a good comeback because rarely does the ground freeze deep enough to harm the roots. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and watching close for signs of revival but that usually doesn't happen until Mother Nature signals them to put out shoots. My yard doesn't look so great now either. Last years heat and drought kept me inside a lot and I'll really have to get myself out there this year and give it some TLC to make it look like it has in previous years.

Randy, you've just started over on that trailer but it sure is looking fine. You've got it looking like they're going to have a wonderful safe trailer. Bless your heart....you're always doing something to help others.

I don't have Facebook. Is it better than this and emails? I'm not real sure I want to put my 'face' out there. Randy, do you have Facebook? Pickles maybe, face maybe not. Ron? Prowl? PRH? ~ Curbie :)

I do Facebook ..and of course..I'm addicted to the farm games. It's also good for keeping up with friends, neighbors and even the enemies (if ya have any)...LOL.
Curbie..it's not better than here, but you'll find quite a few of us gardeners lurking around there. I think the farming games drew us in and as we can't garden for real in the winter... we plant imaginary gardens!! You'll find Bob there too...

Ron and Randy are on FB.
I like FB, have been in contact with ppl I haven't seen or talked to in 35 yrs. Have reconnected with alot of classmates and old co workers. Addicted to Farmville and Cafe World too on it.....

Ugh, I can't stand sites like Facebook or Twitter or any of those faux social networking sites. They discourage real discussion and promote shallow, meaningless noise. It amazes me how each Great New Thing dumbs communication down further and further.

*grumble, grumble, grumble* I Want Usenet Back!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back