The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Can't I get those games somewhere else? (I am rather shy.....) ~ Curbiez

When were you afflicted with that? LOL Yes, I am on Facebook, sort of. My problem is that I only allow myself do much time on the computer and I don't get involved in any of the games or whatever else happens on Facebook. I just have a "wall" which is just a place to post messages.

Oh, Marie, I worked on the trailer a little bit today, but didn't do any welding. I did some measuring and placing of parts to be welded on later. They are the hangers for the axle and the axle has to be in a certain place to clear the fenders. It isn't as complicated as it sounds though. This is the type of thing I wanted to do during retirement and I have some pretty nice welding equipment to do it. One of my welding machines has been in residence at my farmer friend's place though for awhile. He has a very nice shop on his farm, but when his equipment breaks down in the field, he likes to use my gasoline powered welder. He can take that into the field instead of having to bring in broken equipment into the shop for repair. He is the one that allows me to pick blueberries in his fields. I get at least 5 gallons each year.

I must have been afllicted the same time YOU got a "wall'. I do not know anything about welding but I am so grateful your friend allows you to sned jelly and jam all over our country :) ~ Curbie afflicted.......uh????? :)

Curbie, his wife made a comment to me one time that really changed my jam making. During the spring, summer and early fall, life is pretty frantic on the farm so she gathers the berries in season but puts them in the freezer. When the crops are in and things settle down, she breaks out the berries and makes the jam as needed. I had been doing it differntly and working my head off when the berries were in season, rushing to get the berries, rushing to get them rerady for jamming, then getting jam made before I lost too many berries. Now when I get the berries I just wash them and crush thode that will go into jam and freeze them in 10 cup portions. Later when the kitchen is available and the pressure is off, I can break out the frozen berries and jam them. As long as the berries are already in 10-cup portions (a double batch), I can do two double batches in three to four hours. I was talking to the couple though about one of the products that I make (blueberry conserve) and Julie wanted to try it so I took her a couple of jars to try out. I haven't talked to her or Mark since then, but I am sure they would like it. They provided me with the berries. Mark likes my hot salsa too.

Today was a pretty nice day for February. After I got home from church, I worked on the trailer for three hours doing mostly wire brushing rust off so I could put a primer coat of paint on the part that I brushed. It rains enough here to keep things pretty rusty if they aren't protected by a good coat of paint or three.

Ugh, I can't stand sites like Facebook or Twitter or any of those faux social networking sites. They discourage real discussion and promote shallow, meaningless noise. It amazes me how each Great New Thing dumbs communication down further and further.

*grumble, grumble, grumble* I Want Usenet Back!

I use Facebook to keep in touch with the people that I can't see or talk to on a regular basis. I moved to Ohio away from all my family and friends and with everyone's schedules being different it's easy to keep up by reading posts at my leisure and viewing pics on Facebook. I "talk" to my brothers way more on Facebook than they would ever talk to me on the phone. Plus I get to see pics of my nephews all the time! Not for everyone but I LOVE it! <3

Marie - I sent you a friend request. And no, I'm no schoolage kid anymore!

Randy - great pics of the trailer. You weren't kidding that it couldn't be fixed. I'm surprised it hadn't crumbled into a heap with all that rust!

We got around 18 inches of snow over the weekend and a new snow storm hit us late today. The weather forcasters are calling for 4-6 inches but that's what they said the last time and it's still coming down. :( Come on Spring!

I connected with some old friends that I haven't talked to in 30+ yrs on FB. I've reconnected with some old co workers too. Chat with alot of them.

I just met one of the nicest people ~ these people are out at 9PM ~ 10PM in a Bobcat and another kind of thing. I asked if they would like something to drink or a sandwich and this fellow said," You sound JUST like my Mom!" I asked where his Mom is from ~ Pittsburgh. We were taught that you care for one another, I guess. His buddy in the Bobcat ran into him so he said,"THINK I have to go now."I SO wanted to ride in the Bobcat ~ I can't drive a car very well but SOMEHOW, I know I would gain respect if i drove a bobcat ~ yeh........let me be the FIRST person on our street to have a Bobcat in her parking space. I can see me, driving a Bobcat from DC to Pittsburgh (Dad, we'll be there 'soon'. ...don't worry, we got a new 'car' and her name is Bob. nope, she is not a cat...oh rats.. it is a cat.....don't worry about it SEE YOU SOON DAD!" I can tell you exactly what he would say ~ ~ ~ Do you know who you take after??? If your mother could see you now. Are you the first person to drive the PA turnpike in a Bobcat? .... maybe sir but i used my EZPass b/c see i plan ahead, sir....and I have my handicapped placard in the "Cat". At 93, he is one sharp person. When I left Pittsburgh WITH my cat who had lived in his apartment for 4 months, I lett Dad a note, from the cat... and since I'm all he's got, he says some of the funniest things to me b/c in the last 10 years, I have had to 'train' him. Mike helps ~ I said,"He'll never wear that hat" Mike made it in a hotel room and....Dad asked if he could eat the icing....sure ~ Curbster

Attachments

• Dad full size, QF (2)  EM.jpg
    Dad full size, QF (2) EM.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 245
  • Dad's 90th birthday  2006 001 (2)  EM.jpg
    Dad's 90th birthday 2006 001 (2) EM.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 234
  • QF full size (2)  EM.jpg
    QF full size (2) EM.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 222
  • full size  QF (2)  EM.jpg
    full size QF (2) EM.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Natalie, I was sure that it wouldn't have been long before that old trailer broke down someplace. It is/was used usually with kids/youth groups and outings, so a lot of people would have been affected. I made a deal they really couldn't turn down though. It isn't going to cost the church anything. I am having fun doing the project and I will feel much better about sending the kids off on their fun trips knowing they can depend on the trailer.

I SO wanted to ride in the Bobcat ~ I can't drive a car very well but SOMEHOW, I know I would gain respect if i drove a bobcat ~ yeh........let me be the FIRST person on our street to have a Bobcat in her parking space. and I have my handicapped placard in the "Cat".

OH MY LAWD!!!! LOL

Mz Curbiez that is TOOOOO fuuunny

I can just picture it now...A nice, clean, shiny, yellow and black Bobcat with a handicap placard
in the handicap spot at the local Walmart!!!! :D

Can just imagine the look on the "Parking Patrol" Officers face when he sees that!!!

"To ticket or not to ticket....that is the question that I ask of thee" :)

Last edited:
I saw another person from the bluegrass state signed up. Maybe he'll find our bluegrass thread. Great day here today. Fiona said the grass in the pasture is starting to take off. She only allows the horse so much time when it starts to green up else he may overindulge and get sick.

Laurie, most of the people I haven't had contact with for 30 years.......well.........they probably weren't very close friends to begin with but I have located some of the kids of friends from church on facebook and it's good to interact with them a bit:eek:) I've made a whole heap more friends here on the garden forum than I have on facebook though:eek:)

I do not have Facebook nor Twitter. Friends are friends wherever they are and whatever binds them together ~ church, gardening, jobs, pets, children, and now I'll stop :)

If I can keep up with emails and the phone calls and.....I surely do not need one more complication. I thought about you Randy b/c of tinnitus. The audiologist (who I've seen twice) said to listen to music, especially when falling asleep. MTM said the other night ~ "You should have gotten tinnitus a long time ago ~ this is nice." Cats are purring, dog is snoring, and I'm.......singing Susan Boyle. I'm glad MTM is content :) ~ Curbie

We have listened to KENNY G music to relax & go to sleep, then compare what song you drifted off too the next a.m.

We like Kenny G also. I think relaxing, cooking, and laughing may be the best sports of all. (I am not a competitor..at all. I can see me at the Olympics......I brought my own mittens b/c I have a friend who lives in Canada and >>> I <<< got mine from Vancouver before YOU got YOURS! AND MINE have holes in them b/c I've been clapping so much in my 'meetons'.) ~ Curbie

I don't generally have any trouble falling asleep. I think it takes 3 or 4 minutes maybe. But I use a CPAP machine and makes enough noise for me. The melody is lousy though.

MTM has a CPAP but stopped using it a while ago. It may be b/c I was making up songs all night to it and laugh. Boy was I tired :) We called it Snofaloffagus (from Sesame Street) Pickles is SO Mike and I this morning ~ Curbie :)

I just saw Sesame Street in snatches, but I always loved those old guys sitting in the balcony.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back