The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Our knuckles used to get SO dirty from playing jacks on the kitchen floor. My sister had long thin hands and I have short stubby hands ~ she could flip those jacks like nobody's business. That's why I learned to spin the jacks b/c I hardly ever got a turn PLAYING. She was so good. I'd set the dinner table and she just kept playing. "Call if I get a turn!" Talk about cheap fun. Now we have to have ipods and lots of contraptions. Life does change :) ~ Curbie

Nice looking piano Curb.! I have always wanted to play the piano too! But I cant read music---I learned to play the guitars by ear. We had a piano(!) given to us when I was a kid and I learned to "pickout" a couple of songs--but thats about it.
Then our house burned and even though they got the piano out (amazing in itself as it took about 8 men to get it into the house)we had no place to store it. So--------a friend of mine bought it for $45.--but told me if I ever wanted it back I could have it for the same price.(He knew how much I loved that piano) Long story-short---he had it refinished & tuned--so think it "might" be worth a WHOLE lot more than that now!!!!!I think he said it was a "baby" grand. All I know is--it was HUGE--square shaped. Had HUGE legs on it!
Anyway------------keep at it Curbz! With your love for music you'll be able to pick out tunes in no time!

Found a picture of what it looked like---only ours wasn't quite so elaborate. And not in such good shape. Sure wish I had it now! LOL Wonder if he'd sell it to me now for $45.?? LOL

Attachments

• square grand piano.jpg
    square grand piano.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
OH, I had a baby grand piano! It was black and came from my ex-husband's grandmother who had used it to .....hold candles. When I was pregnant with my now......31 y/o daughter, I took 4 weeks off from teaching and I was SO BORED( little babies are so boring ) I spent most of my time playing the piano while she slept on the sofa. When I got divorced, the piano....left.... I make up songs all the time. The guy from Our DogPatch asked me if I had tried to play Amazing Grace on all black keys so he and his 2 Golden Retreivers came in at 7AM and I played it for him. My hubby left for work and Ernie said,"BY tomorrow, I want to hear....." Mike came back in and said,"please do not encourage her....it begins at 5 AM." ~ This is why the piano is named "Grace". She is Amazing! I need to find some sheet music. Thanks, GP ~ Curbie

Now, if this doesn't make you laugh ~ People often ask how the dog gets along with the cats (we have 4 cats). Example of TC (cat) with Ellie (dog) ~ :p No........the dog doesn't get along with anybody. :p ~ Hope you get some giggles! Curbie

Attachments

• Cat and Ellie 001 (2)  EM.jpg
    Cat and Ellie 001 (2) EM.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Cat and Ellie 003 (2)  EM.jpg
    Cat and Ellie 003 (2) EM.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 315
  • Cat and Ellie 004 (2)  EM.jpg
    Cat and Ellie 004 (2) EM.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 309
GP, that piano reminds me of one my wife's brother has in California. I forgot the name on it, but it is a very old piano. I think it is about 200 years old and I know it is quite valuable.

Found this picture that looks more like the one we had---but dont think it was a "Chickering". As I said--not as ornate as the other one. I guess they are old & valuable. :rolleyes: Kinda like us--huh? ;):D
Anyway--the one we had was in just a little bit better shape than this one and of course I kept it polished every week. It was the only "household chore" I didn't hate doing! LOL But-you should have seen it after it was refinished!! It was definately different!

Attachments

• Chickering.jpg
    Chickering.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
I was 'caught'......i didn't mean to......playing the piano at 5AM but I only got yelled at for it once :) I usually ask if I can play but Mike knows no matter what he says :) I'm going to play it. I constantly have songs running through my head. (Lousi Armstrong, Nat King Cole, Jimmy Buffet, etc.) And I am 'no good ' at playing this piano but I sure do try. Put in a CD by Clobie Cailette or Susan Boyle and I am trying. That is a lovely piano, GP. ~ Curbie

I can play,"I WON'T grow up" from Peter Pan :) Rainbow Connection (Kermit the Frog and my sister's favorite song) I'll get there ~ hoping I live long enough ... :) I think it makes me appear more intelligent than I am but Mike hasn't noticed any change yet LOL! ~ Curbie

O M GOSH! If this isn't the funniest thing ~ one of my teenage kidlettes came over and I was unpacking the groceries. He said,"Miss Carol, this is the dumbest cucumber I've ever SEEN!" it was an eggplant......... I stood so still. He said,"You're not laughing at me, are you?" All I could do was shake my head "no" b/c I was laughing so HARD inside Cucumber versus Eggplant ~ "Miss Carol, I really do THINK you're laughing at me." I began to think I had Turrettes. no I STILL have the giggles! ~ Curbster

It is hard not to laugh sometime. A teenager can usually handle it though. The little ones have more trouble.

Seems like our bluegrassers have all abandoned ship. I was thinking about Natalie yesterday when I was out shopping for groceries. I actually was able to meet her when MF and I went back to Ohio a couple of years back. I also met one of my other cyber friends back there from Elyria.

Who are your BlueGrassers? Natalie does not ring a bell for me. I seem to only know folks by their 'code names' ~ Curbie

Curbie, she was NATLOO on GG. I too have missed a lot of people lately and wonder if they aren't scurrying around trying to get as much gardening done quickly as they can since they had late cold weather this year. My spring plants are about to call it finished as the sun reaches it's peak in the mid 90's almost every day now. Heat index today will be about 105 so I can see why things don't want to grow out there:eek:) I've been trying to get out early and water flowerbeds and not staying outside for long periods. Just too hot out there already. Time to get some quilting done:eek:)

Thanks, Frogger. Our plants just grow or don't grow ~ How about that for gardening? :) Our perns seem to always be mostly OK, with or without H2O and I water the deck seedlings & plants (marigolds, nasturiums, zinnias, and a LONEly tomato plant) in the morning. I transplanted some teensy sprouts this morning that I have no idea what they are. AND, some seeds have sprouted that LOOK like cucumbers ~ I thought I planted zinnias in that pot. I don't know where I'm worse, the garden or the kitchen :) ! LOL Our yard is mostly shaded which means even when it rains, it really doesn't get water. Hope our gardens enjoy us as much as we enjoy them ~ Curbie :)

We get our funny papers/comics on Saturday and 'Pickles' is hysterical to me today: Earl walks in with a bag of groceries. His wife asks,"Did you get the tomato sauce?" Oops, I knew I was forgetting something. "EARL! THAT'S why you WENT to the grocery store!" Sorry about that but I found my favorite brand of sardines AND they were on sale. "Why do you always think we need sardines when we really need....tomato sauce." Well, you should buy a lifetime supply when you see them! "Earl, we already HAVE a lifetime supply." (His wife="Yeah to me, one can is a lifetime supply and no tomato sauce.....") ~ Giggles ~ Curbie

I really like that comic strip. Hits pretty close to home. We went out to dinner this evening. We had a pretty full day. I saw some stuff at a memorial service that was just awesome. I took a few pictures and I will see about getting them downloaded from the camera and share some of them. One of the pictures is of an 86 year old man, a World War 2 and Korean War veteran, who got partway up from his walker/chair when the Korean national anthem was played and sung. A young soldier would stand erect and salute smartly. This man stood as upright as he could and saluted. There was a general from the army of the Republic of Korea, that came down from the platform after the service to greet this man and shake his hand.

Hi Randy! Glad you still think of me ... I think of all my Bluegrass friends often. I still keep up with what's going on through my email notifications but hardly ever have any time to get on the site and actually type out a reply. I didn't have a garden to speak of last year so this year is extra work. I garden organically and the weeds took over from the neglect of last year! It's hot and muggy up here but we had some thunder storms today so maybe tomorrow will be cooler. I'd post some pictures but my computer does not get along with my camera. :(
If you and MF are ever over my way again please give me a ring or something so we can meet up again! I really enjoyed getting to meet and spend some time with the two of you.
Take care everyone ... and if I can get my computer and camera to play nice I'll post pics of the weed factory ;)

Nat it has been such a long time since we have seen you I'm glad you are doing good and keeping busy.
Take care

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back